Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Default Re: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

I wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be.

The FCS really doesn't stand to lose that much from this, and might actually gain. I mean, why would the rest of the FBS stay in the FBS if they are excluded from the Big 5? To play in some third tier bowl? Really?

The schools that have the most to lose are the ones raking in $100 million plus a year - and they could, by getting too greedy, lose it all.

Hey elf, keep your opinion's to yourself.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I don't think they would merge with the FCS. I don't see what the point of that would be, they could just start their own playoff if they wanted to go that route and have complete control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I don't think they would merge with the FCS. I don't see what the point of that would be, they could just start their own playoff if they wanted to go that route and have complete control over it.
    The MWC, CUSA, the Sunbelt, the MAC, etc. - what is that? 70 teams? The non-Big5 FBS teams can't create a playoff on their own unless they fund it on their own - otherwise, they have to convince the NCAA to create a playoff for them at which point why not just join the FCS?

Even supposing that the NCAA forms another DI playoff subdivision for the MWC's of the world, they certainly aren't going to be able to bar FCS conferences from joining in. It'd be like, "Yeah, we want you all to vote to create us a playoff system but none of you can join in. Who's with us?"

I suppose they could go in house, like you suggested, but, honestly, which would you rather have in the trophy case: a Tostitos-Tires Plus Playoff Championship Trophy or an NCAA DI Playoff Championship Trophy?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The MWC, CUSA, the Sunbelt, the MAC, etc. - what is that? 70 teams? The non-Big5 FBS teams can't create a playoff on their own unless they fund it on their own - otherwise, they have to convince the NCAA to create a playoff for them at which point why not just join the FCS?

Even supposing that the NCAA forms another DI playoff subdivision for the MWC's of the world, they certainly aren't going to be able to bar FCS conferences from joining in. It'd be like, "Yeah, we want you all to vote to create us a playoff system but none of you can join in. Who's with us?"
    I think these schools could pull off their own playoff if that is what they wanted. You have enough well supported schools in decent markets to get some kind of TV deal for it, why split that money with the NCAA? Why give most your gates for the playoff to the NCAA?

I think these schools could pull off their own playoff if that is what they wanted. You have enough well supported schools in decent markets to get some kind of TV deal for it, why split that money with the NCAA? Why give most your gates for the playoff to the NCAA?
    Maybe they could... but that's pretty much the model of the Bowl System and they are losing money on that.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Maybe they could... but that's pretty much the model of the Bowl System and they are losing money on that.
    The problem with the bowl system is that the bowls themselves had too much control, you have bowl execs getting paid huge salaries and spending money carelessly. With a playoff you remove the middle man completely.

One thing missing in this discussion is the fact that the 10 FBS conferences have a 12 year agreement with ESPN paying them $7.3 billion for the college football playoff. That is another thing that will keep them from going FCS for at least the next decade.

One thing missing in this discussion is the fact that the 10 FBS conferences have a 12 year agreement with ESPN paying them $7.3 billion for the college football playoff. That is another thing that will keep them from going FCS for at least the next decade.
    Yep, because agreements or contracts are never broken, or so I've been told. Especially when the group of 10 FBS conferences lose on one side of the deal shed their 5 most valuable member conferences. I'm sure ESPN will still want to pony up the $7.3B anyway. I don't think for a second that isn't changeable.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Yep, because agreements or contracts are never broken, or so I've been told. Especially when the group of 10 FBS conferences lose on one side of the deal shed their 5 most valuable member conferences. I'm sure ESPN will still want to pony up the $7.3B anyway. I don't think for a second that isn't changeable.
    This wouldn't change a thing from ESPN's perspective, none of the conferences are going anywhere. It isn't like the NCAA is getting into the power conference football playoff business anytime soon. This is a deal between ESPN and the 10 conferences, to conduct their own playoff.