Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Default Re: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    As an FCS fan I'm really looking forward to this panning out.

Good chance the top of the FCS will be able to sneak into with the other FBS teams. We'll have to change some rules, etc, but this is going to allow us to get to the 2nd level of football.
    NDSU is already at the "2nd level of football."

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Where is the money to potentially pay student athletes a stipend, health insurance, etc, going to come from? Currently at the end of the day, isn't all the TV money, ESPN money, ticket money already spent by the athletic programs? We hear how the NCAA basketball tournament and its money is distributed and helps finance non revenue producing programs. If the numbers are true and the high revenue programs, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, do not generate an overall "profit" in their athletic programs, which tells me all the money from TV is spent.

So where does the money come from to pay the students? In many regards the billions that people talk about as available, is like North Dakota budget surplus, for a moment it exists, but in reality it is all spent.

NDSU to pay students would get the money from where? Increased ticket prices?

So I am not seeing where the money is going to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Where is the money to potentially pay student athletes a stipend, health insurance, etc, going to come from? Currently at the end of the day, isn't all the TV money, ESPN money, ticket money already spent by the athletic programs? We hear how the NCAA basketball tournament and its money is distributed and helps finance non revenue producing programs. If the numbers are true and the high revenue programs, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, do not generate an overall "profit" in their athletic programs, which tells me all the money from TV is spent.

So where does the money come from to pay the students? In many regards the billions that people talk about as available, is like North Dakota budget surplus, for a moment it exists, but in reality it is all spent.

The industrial revolution changed the face of the modern novel forever. Discuss sighting specific examples.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The money is coming from you of course. Have you joined team makers yet? Did you have "nice wine" with Bresciani while having your Johnson stroked?

The big dogs wont allow weak FBS teams in. I could see a flashback to the days when the college division national went D2 and D1AA. Similar dilema? Some teams will go FBS. Others will go down to D2. Clearly the D1 label is useless with 3the D1 categories.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hail bison View Post
    The money is coming from you of course. Have you joined team makers yet? Did you have "nice wine" with Bresciani while having your Johnson stroked?
    As for Team Makers, no, but a nice dinner was had with the a number of the alumni association board. And the the funny thing, this was a discussion point, the general masses imply wrongly that money exists to pay student athletes. And as always, the insight from Bisonville never ceases to amaze me.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=kab1one;861674]Where is the money to potentially pay student athletes a stipend, health insurance, etc, going to come from? Currently at the end of the day, isn't all the TV money, ESPN money, ticket money already spent by the athletic programs? We hear how the NCAA basketball tournament and its money is distributed and helps finance non revenue producing programs. If the numbers are true and the high revenue programs, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, do not generate an overall "profit" in their athletic programs, which tells me all the money from TV is spent.

So I am not seeing where the money is going to come from.[/QUOTE

The Bison are not planning on paying players. That is why the big 5 are breaking off so they can do it without having influence from the rest of the NCAA schools.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    This wouldn't change a thing from ESPN's perspective, none of the conferences are going anywhere. It isn't like the NCAA is getting into the power conference football playoff business anytime soon. This is a deal between ESPN and the Power 5 with the other 5 conferences included based on the FBS symbol only.
    FIFY. ESPN only really wants the Power 5. They will pay their $7B for the rights for that playoff whether it's just the Power 5 or all of FBS. The smaller conferences will get the minimum amount as stated in the original agreement until it expires and then they will be cut out.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As for Team Makers, no, but a nice dinner was had with the a number of the alumni association board. And the the funny thing, this was a discussion point, the general masses imply wrongly that money exists to pay student athletes. And as always, the insight from Bisonville never ceases to amaze me.
    I can't tell if you are talking about NDSU paying its student athletes or all universities paying its student athletes. It's obvious that FCS and below won't be paying a stipend and that might also extend to the non-Power 5 FBS conferences as well.

There is plenty of money available at the schools you mentioned in your previous post. They just might not build 4 new buildings/practice fields/etc. every year and cut back to 3. If you think just because the Income Statements say overall profit is $0 that there is actually no money to be spent, then you need to open your eyes. If that were the case, schools like Missouri State would not even consider FBS. They are looking at it because there is money involved - and a ton of it if you are in the right market.

Quote Originally Posted by centennialbison View Post
    you get a free education, rich alumni who will employ you after college, everything paid for, and don't have to work to pass most classes- all this isn't enough. I can see upper fcs+ lower 5 fbs merging now. This is just an excuse at a money grab anyway.
    this^^^^^^