Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Default NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

A new subdivision will be a square peg to the round hole of the way that the NCAA currently operates. These changes, Slive said, "require a 21st century governance model within the NCAA and its structure that will preserve the collegiate model and allows our schools to make decisions that put student-athletes first. This is the No. 1 priority of the five conferences and we are committed to seeing it through."

The NCAA expects to create the five-conference subdivision in August. Slive estimated that it will take until at least the first of the year to draw up the rules by which the schools will govern themselves. In the current model, presidents make decisions as members of the NCAA Board of Directors. The five conferences want more responsibility in the hands of their athletic administrators.
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ce-subdivision

Rule changes that they are working towards-
    Slive visited the University of Massachusetts last week as the executive-in-residence for the Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management. In a keynote address, Slive laid out seven goals for the new subdivision of Division I that will house the following conferences: SEC, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12.

• providing the full cost of attendance to grant-in-aid recipients

• fulfilling the health, safety and nutrition needs of student-athletes

• allowing student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility to complete their undergraduate degree without cost

• ending the cold war against agents and advisers so that players testing the professional waters can receive better information

• harnessing the demands of sports so that student-athletes get more balance in their lives -- i.e., another crack at the "20-hour rule"

• more and better assistance for academically at-risk student-athletes

• giving student-athletes a role and a vote in NCAA governance that affects them

That list could come just as easily from a union guy as from the commissioner of one of the most powerful leagues in intercollegiate athletics.

Default Re: NCAA going to create a new Subdivison for the Power 5 in August

Awwwwwww..........the poor student athlete is so abused.........to resolve this only a special group of spoiled athletes will be segregated and catered to. What a fucking joke! I hope athletes at this level also form unions to go after their share of the revenues generated by the big time schools and ultimately destroy this top tier of semi pro / college sports. Thank you GREED for screwing up a wonderful game.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Awwwwwww..........the poor student athlete is so abused.........to resolve this only a special group of spoiled athletes will be segregated and catered to. What a fucking joke! I hope athletes at this level also form unions to go after their share of the revenues generated by the big time schools and ultimately destroy this top tier of semi pro / college sports. Thank you GREED for screwing up a wonderful game.
    You get a free education, rich alumni who will employ you after college, everything paid for, and don't have to work to pass most classes- All this isn't enough. I can see upper FCS+ lower 5 FBS merging now. This is just an excuse at a money grab anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialBison View Post
    You get a free education, rich alumni who will employ you after college, everything paid for, and don't have to work to pass most classes- All this isn't enough. I can see upper FCS+ lower 5 FBS merging now. This is just an excuse at a money grab anyway.
    This all makes me sick.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Student-athletes do receive a lot already. They also have certain "perks" that others do not receive (alum with businesses, paid eduction - that they work for, etc)...that doesnt mean that they shouldn't receive additional aid, especially when schools and conferences want to head in that direction. No where in this article does it mention paying the students as tho they are employees - as a matter of fact this guy from the SEC says their few point is the exact opposite. However, the product the kids are responsible for on the field directly relates to the millions of dollars in revenue a school collects from their football program. It's difficult for us little guys to fathom the amount of cash flow these athletic programs have and if they see fit to extend some of that money towards the athletes - then so be it.

As far as splitting up and making a whole new subdivision...to me that seems unnecessary. If they are already writing new rules, why not implement them into the current system in more of a "if you want to do that you must do it like this" situation?
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

As an FCS fan I'm really looking forward to this panning out.

Good chance the top of the FCS will be able to sneak into with the other FBS teams. We'll have to change some rules, etc, but this is going to allow us to get to the 2nd level of football.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing for NDSU

If we want to move up to the second level. We are going to have to come up with some $$$$$.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing for NDSU
    If we are stuck in FCS, bad.

If we are in the second level of competition, good.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    If we want to move up to the second level. We are going to have to come up with some $$$$$.
    I'd like to think NDSU will make the best of the situation. If that means second level....yeah, alums better be ready to open the checkbooks.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo