Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA changing age to enter draft is top of the list

Default NBA changing age to enter draft is top of the list

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...55&src=desktop

NEW YORK -- Armed with majority support from owners and saying "we're ready to go," NBA commissioner Adam Silver made it clear that pushing back the league's age minimum to 20 is at the top of his priority list.

The league's owners hosted NCAA president Mark Emmert to discuss the issue as part of their annual two-day spring meeting this week. Any changes wouldn't be in place by next season because the league is waiting for the players' association to name an executive director before formally starting negotiations. But it's clear there's a growing momentum to force this occasionally divisive issue through soon, possibly in time for the 2016 draft.

Silver, who was presiding over his first board of governors meeting since taking over from former commissioner David Stern in February, said the league and the NCAA have discussed creating some programs and provisions to help players stay in college longer as part of a way to get the union to accept the changes.

When the league and the players' union signed the collective bargaining agreement in 2011, it was agreed that the current one-and-done college rule could be revised at any time. The players' union recently named Sacramento mayor and former NBA player Kevin Johnson to head a committee to name a new leader by the start of the 2014-15 season.

"If we're going to be successful in raising the age from 19 to 20, part and parcel in those negotiations goes to the treatment of players on those college campuses and closing the gap between what their scholarships cover and their expenses," Silver said. "We haven't looked specifically at creating a financial incentive for them to stay in college. That's been an option that has been raised over the years, but that's not something that is on the table right now."

In addition, Silver said Emmert and the team owners talked about other ways to potentially ease a player's transition from college to the NBA. This could include changes in officiating and game play, such as reducing the NCAA's shot clock, which is 35 seconds compared to the NBA's 24.

Some have suggested that players who must wait two years to enter the draft would be better off playing in other professional leagues such as the NBA Development League, which doesn't have an age limit, or going overseas.

"I'm reading and listening to college players and the other side saying development may be better outside the NBA or the environment isn't ideal in college," Silver said. "I think those are all things we have to look at."
    "We All From Africa"

Default Re: NBA changing age to enter draft is top of the list

NBA doesn't want to pay the cost of developing players; they'd rather they just come in fully developed.

Quote Originally Posted by acf2 View Post
    NBA doesn't want to pay the cost of developing players; they'd rather they just come in fully developed.
    I agree. But whats the valid argument for the age restriction? If they really don want them they shouldnt draft them.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I agree. But whats the valid argument for the age restriction? If they really don want them they shouldnt draft them.
    They don't really need a valid argument. Just one the union will accept. And because the union is run by veterans that shouldn't be a huge problem.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Potential is a big reason what teams draft a guy on. Some that leave after their first year of college may be ready to make an impact in the NBA and those same players may benefit with another year in college. Some say if they leave college to the NBA after 1 year but aren't quite ready can get better quicker than going to college for another year. They think with the facilities they have and all the time they can put into practice, lifting etc are better than college games and can't put all the time into getting better with classes. I personally think a player needs to mature and become more experienced and a leader before they leave but some that don't have that are still more talented and can make an impact.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    "We All From Africa"

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFan_Sav View Post
    Potential is a big reason what teams draft a guy on. Some that leave after their first year of college may be ready to make an impact in the NBA and those same players may benefit with another year in college. Some say if they leave college to the NBA after 1 year but aren't quite ready can get better quicker than going to college for another year. They think with the facilities they have and all the time they can put into practice, lifting etc are better than college games and can't put all the time into getting better with classes. I personally think a player needs to mature and become more experienced and a leader before they leave but some that don't have that are still more talented and can make an impact.

If they're not ready I don't see how they get better faster in the league. The college facilities and support are just as good and they actually get practice and instruction. Instead of playing and traveling 6 days a week and only making opponent specific adjustments in walk throughs and shoot arounds.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    If they're not ready I don't see how they get better faster in the league. The college facilities and support are just as good and they actually get practice and instruction. Instead of playing and traveling 6 days a week and only making opponent specific adjustments in walk throughs and shoot arounds.
    And I agree with you I got in an argument with someone else that disagrees.

"We All From Africa"

For every Kobe Bryant there's 10 Kwame Browns. The who product has gone downhill in the last 15 years.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    In college you can only practice 20 hours a week. NBA has no limitation on practice time. An NBA team has a huge investment in their draft picks. They have every inclination in the world to make you a better player. I don't think it can be argued that the coaching and facilities are better in the NBA too. Not to mention playing against better competition daily.

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A Greed! Pun intended.