Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS and money

Default Re: FBS and money

anyone seen this article?

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.co...-games-in-2014

10 worst scheduled FBS v FCS games on 2014

8. August 30th North Dakota State at Iowa State: Oh man. Did we not learn anything from Kansas State last season? The Bison are the defending Championship Subdivision champions and are used to pulling upsets. The good news for the Cyclones is that NDSU quarterback Brock Jensen has moved on to the NFL.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I'm not sure what this is supposed to say.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    LOL come on. Yes the Sun Belt only had two teams last year. The MAC had 5 and CUSA had 6. FBS schools don't lose money because of bowls. And if they do, they make up the money by increased exposure. If they didn't, they wouldn't be FBS.
    Problem with "increased exposure" is no cash is involved, it doesn't pay any bills. Its a perceived benefit. For example, every time NDSU score or helmet is on ESPN, its worth $1,000 if they were to pay for the same advertising. It doesn't mean that NDSU is getting $1,000 in cash.

The bowl system if you read into it is pretty bad for the lower tier schools. U of Minnesota in accepting the game in Houston commits to a set amount of face value tickets. They in turn try to sell them to the alumni. This almost always leads to a deficit for the school in the bowl, as games are not sold out, the schools are stuck with tickets and fans can buy the same tickets on the street for 10 cents on the dollar. The school then also incurs all the cots of taking the team (and band) to the game. Often times additional hundreds of thousands of cost.

The fact Minnesota gets cash from the BCS pay out since Wisconsin is a mutual exclusive payment that comes from conference affiliation. Schools from conferences that don't get that payment are going to lose money on a bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to say.
    whats wrong with you? I posted a Valid link of a BIG 12 worst Fcs games of 2014 thread. what do you think it says?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    whats wrong with you? I posted a Valid link of a BIG 12 worst Fcs games of 2014 thread. what do you think it says?
    What does it have to do with FBS and money. Unless you want this one in the hall of shame too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty good article on the U of M going to a bowl game. States they don't lose money.

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/12/04/un...oney-bowl-game

But its because of the BCS dollars that makes it work.

I didnt know where to put the FBS vs FCS link, sorry bison4lifemoderator

kabl1one good work I know where your heart lies

Minnesota will receive $1.5 million from the Big Ten’s bowl revenues to cover bowl game expenses such as hotel, transportation, food and travel, athletics spokesman Garry Bowman said.

You'd think you can turn a profit by having a smart logistic's manager

Of the AP top 25 last year, ZERO schools were from the MWC, MAC, Sun Belt, or Conference USA.

tell me there isn't an artificial ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    I didnt know where to put the FBS vs FCS link, sorry bison4lifemoderator

kabl1one good work I know where your heart lies

Minnesota will receive $1.5 million from the Big Ten’s bowl revenues to cover bowl game expenses such as hotel, transportation, food and travel, athletics spokesman Garry Bowman said.

You'd think you can turn a profit by having a smart logistic's manager
    When you have to buy 12,000 tickets at 75/each. That is $900k. PLus you have to send the team and band and admin. That will be $300,000. All of a sudden you are in break even mode. IF you are MWC and don't have a BSC payment to subsidize you, and you make the bowl game in Detroit, you are a cash basis operations, if you have to sell 12,000 tickets at face, when there are 20k tickets on the secondary market cheaper, its hard to sell the packages. The bowl game is not a money maker.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...udit_show.html

NCAA audit: Every football conference made money on 2012-13 bowls

"The perception is out there that schools are losing money going to bowl games and the reality is that's not true," said Wright Waters, executive director of the Football Bowls Association. "Bowls strike deals with conferences, and there very well may be issues that conferences are not giving them a big enough allowance to go to the bowl. But at the end of the day, the conferences are still distributing money at the end of the year."

Bowl Payout / Expenses

MAC $15,700,213 $4,108,580
    Independents $7,872,485 $5,874,842
    C-USA $7,020,983 $5,465,101
    Sun Belt $6,850,200 $2,359,094
    WAC $6,160,133 $1,059,173
    Mountain West $5,709,267 $3,441,389