Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Richman Named Head Coach

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Richman Named Head Coach

He was a young, first year, unproven head coach coming into the season so I do believe that his salary for this year was fair. Now after what he did this season with taking this team to the dance, having what appears to be a very strong recruiting class and winning COY in the Summit I do feel as though he should be in the market for a raise before next season. I have faith we'll do everything we can to pay him enough to keep him here long term. If you click on the school line you can see that Richman is actually making more this year than Saul did last year and has a very aggressive bonus structure for NCAA tournament wins. If we can add to the base a decent amount each year, maybe throw in a percentage of ticket sales and increase his bonus opportunities a little bit he should have a pretty solid contract to work under.

I think the thing that shocked me the most on this list was the difference between Coach K and Roy Williams contracts. As the perennial powers in the ACC and in state rivals Coach K gets $6 million/yr and Roy only $1.9 million/yr. Roy is actually 5th in the ACC behind Coach K, Pitino (Louisville), Gottfried (NC State) and Bennett (Virginia) with less bonus opportunity than even Richman, this was easily the biggest surprise to me.

You have to keep in mind that some coaches coach for the money, and others coach for the honor and pleasure of coaching young men in the game and life.

That may be BS but it sounds good to me

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    You have to keep in mind that some coaches coach for the money, and others coach for the honor and pleasure of coaching young men in the game and life.

That may be BS but it sounds good to me
    Calipari (can't get a deep enough shade of purple)

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFan_Sav View Post
    Like I said ive heard 600-750k with 25-50k more each year and I think he was actually at 450k this year, if I heard it right.
    UNI just said that he will make an average of $900k over the length of his new deal.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We have got to get our basketball salary up to the point where there is no incentive to jump to a mid major school like Saul did. Clearly, with our salary scale we are a low major. However with the new BSA, conference championships and NCAA success, the window is there to move up a notch and those windows don't last forever. Hopefully Larson can put together a plan to get Richman to 500k by 2020.

Here's an idea I heard today that I'd like to see us start writing into our basketball coach's contract. Allegedly, VCU and Shaka Smart wrote a clause in his contract saying if he leaves, the hiring school has to give VCU a home and home series with a $250k buyout. In this case, if/when Texas hires Smart, they owe VCU a home and home series. To my knowledge, this is a separate clause from your traditional buyout. Now, I highly doubt Texas honors the agreement so they will probably just write a check for the $250k. VCU is able to salvage something from a good coach moving on.
    I understand our coaches most likely aren't going to move on to a Texas type job, but a clause similar to this could help fund increased salaries and/or provide for some scheduling help.
    Flame away.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Honestly, Dave should be close to what football is if not more and keeping him here long term. If he continues to get to the NCAA tourney and getting wins. We need to find a way to pay him 400k+.
    "We All From Africa"

Honestly, Dave should be close to what football is if not more and keeping him here long term. If he continues to get to the NCAA tourney and getting wins. We need to find a way to pay him 400k+.

When the SHAC comes on line it should be feasible to get him that kind of coin. An attendance incentive clause like Bohl had might be a really good thing.

Of course there will be major trouble the instant he makes more than teh hockies.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    When the SHAC comes on line it should be feasible to get him that kind of coin. An attendance incentive clause like Bohl had might be a really good thing.

Of course there will be major trouble the instant he makes more than teh hockies.
    If we can pay our men's basketball coaches 400-600k is where we need to get. Keeping them long term and if they leave we can find pretty good replacements.
    "We All From Africa"

If we can pay our men's basketball coaches 400-600k is where we need to get. Keeping them long term and if they leave we can find pretty good replacements.
    I don't think we need to be cheap but I also don't mind this program being seen as a premier stepping stone either. Smart is making $1.5M at VCU and he still will be lured away by Texas. Not a great example, but if someone wants someone, they will find a way to make it happen. A premier stepping stone with a competitive salary. We aren't going to be paying a Marshall $3.3M like WSU to stay or even the $1.5M like Smart. But, it should be high enough a hungry coach wanting to show off their ability for the big boys will want to come here. I would like to see a program that sees a sweet sixteen every few years and we lose coaches to bigger schools than Ohio. It didn't suck that we lost Saul so much as it sucked it wasn't that big of a jump except for salary. We want a $500k coach and a premier stepping stone program but we are in a budget conference.

I guess where I am going is Richman was probably worth the $190k and more with incentives. By the time he is worth a lot more, he will be hired by someone else. Then we are back to square one. If we start out at $500k, then we are now hiring Saul Phillips or Dave Richman who have proved themselves at another program. What does NDSU have to entice those coaches to make this their next step from a lower mid-major? Then the next question is do we forgo the desire to be a stepping stone and set the goal to be the next Wichita State or Gonzaga? If this is the goal, a stepping stone coach is no longer in the plans. We better find a way to make Richman the man for the next 10 years and see if he becomes the next Smart or Marshall. If this is the case, he better be invested in now with the hope it pays off with staying a couple extra years down the road. That means $500k today with building towards NIU or VCU money. Or, stay with the current program, keep the program on a tighter budget by hiring hungry coaches who need to keep this program winning if they want a shot at some real money. I do think it will be trouble if NDSU decides to wait to make a decision when another school sets Richman's or any other coach's value. Hopefully someone has a realistic vision of where we should be at and is looking at one step above that as our goal. Lastly, having a reputation of being a stepping stone program doesn't hurt NDSU whatsoever. They should have no problem finding good hungry assistants after watching how the last few coaching vacancies have been filled.