Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Richman Named Head Coach

Default Re: Richman Named Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I don't think people realize how good of a program UNI is. MVC is one of the best mid major conference out there (some years it is, some years it isn't), and some years it has been better than the Pac 10. Id doesn't matter how the programs started out or what they did their first few years of D1, right now UNI is very much a legitimate program on a National level.
    Outside of your Power 5 conferences you have maybe a handful of programs right now talked about on a National level every year, and UNI is indeed in that conversation.
    Wasn't this just the second year UNI has been in the top 25? every year is maybe an exaggeration. Since 2010 might be better? I only see them in the Top 25 in 09-10 and this year looking through the post season top 25s on espn.com

They certainly do have the foundation and conference for continued dominance though.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

UNI is who we would dream of being in hoops.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    UNI is who we would dream of being in hoops.
    That makes me cringe. Not UNI. I absolutely despise UNI. Becoming the next Wichita State is a more worth while goal.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    I would say the MVC is the best mid-major conference. Since the A-10 and MWC are not mid-major conferences. Come on Samsrams, back me up here.
    What makes you say the A-10 and MWC are not mid-major conferences?

There is the Pac-12, B12, B1G, ACC and SEC ... and then everybody else.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

The MVC is ranked 11th overall (out of 35) and is behind A-10 (7th), American Athletic (9th), MWC (8th), Big East (2nd) and MAC (10th).

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Outside of your Power 5 conferences you have maybe a handful of programs right now talked about on a National level every year, and UNI is indeed in that conversation.
    Not sure I agree ... Where on this list would you put UNI (not this year, but on average) - BYU, Gonzaga, VCU, St. Louis, Richmond, Butler, Xavier, Providence, Georgetown, Creighton, Marquette, San Diego State, Wichita State, Davidson, Dayton, Murray State, SMU, Villanova, Cincinnati, St. John's.

That is 20 non-Power 5 teams that UNI is somewhere in the mix with. They certainly ON AVERAGE belong in the discussion mix but they do not have a clear advantage year-over-year versus any of these teams.

That's a good question.

The American Athletic Conference and Big East are not associated with Mid Majors. Their programs are not included in the Mid-Major polls, and their conference is considered a Power conference and treated as such in both football and basketball. Providence, Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Cincinatti, and St Johns are not mid major programs in any way. They have had the opportunity to have been funded like any Power Conference program being a part of the Big East the last however many years, and I don't think moving to the AAC changes anything.

Creighton and Butler I would include, because for the same reason I can't include the schools above, these 2 have been mid major programs that I would say are very much on par with UNI, and Butler better. and yes maybe more successfull. I am thinking the Power 5 is more like a Power 6 or so. Hard to differentiate when the realignment has expanded to conferences.

This is SMU's first tournament appearance since 1993 and they haven't won a game since 1988. If there are any truths to the rumors about them being hit hard in their current academic scandal I don't think they will continue trending upward. That's unfortunate because Larry Brown has done an amazing job there.

Gonzaga is the creme de la creme of Mid Majors and I don't think anyone is even close. WSU is right there.

The next group I would say is SDSU, VCU, BYU, and Dayton. There might be others we are missing.

Murray State is really a tough call. They are really good but they play in a very low rated conference and don't get help from anyone to really have a chance. They've seen the tournament 5 times since the turn of the millenium and have won 2 games. They were almost regulars in the 80s and 90's. They have 5 tournament wins in their history.

UNI is probably in that next group because their basketball success is very new. When they have been good they have been just as good as any Mid Major can hope, and I think it shows their potential. Richmond hasn't been in for a couple years and really other than 2010 and 2011, haven't been on the radar. They've been better longer but other than 1 run to the Sweet 16 haven't done much since 1988. Davidson had the 1 great run in 2008, but other than that they haven't won a tournament game since 1969.

I would defnitely say UNI is a top 10+ Mid Major program atm.
    Last edited by silkamilkamonico; 03-26-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Speaking of Mid Major's take a look at Gregg Marshall's resume. Holy balls that guy can coach. Somebody get that guy out of Witchita St.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Marshall

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sorry, but this years Bison don't even sniff the Dance if we played in the MVC and Uni losing in the round of 32 to Louisville is nothing to be ashamed of.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Sorry, but this years Bison don't even sniff the Dance if we played in the MVC and Uni losing in the round of 32 to Louisville is nothing to be ashamed of.
    So could that be a recruiting tool? Meaning, come to NDSU and get to the dance with an auto bid and shake shit up or go to "you name the bottom feeder big10, MVC, MWC etc" and wallow in mediocrity then compete for an nit championship.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    So could that be a recruiting tool? Meaning, come to NDSU and get to the dance with an auto bid and shake shit up or go to "you name the bottom feeder big10, MVC, MWC etc" and wallow in mediocrity then compete for an nit championship.
    I am not sure if you come out and explicitly say that. However, I would say look at Northwestern D1 for 100 years never danced not even once.... We have been full D1 for less than a decade and already danced 3 times. Isn't that every college kids dream play in March Madness not to be a mediocre power 5 bench player that might go to the NIT once or twice.