Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Saul to Ohio

Default Re: Saul to Ohio

All I want for Christmas is a joint press conference with both of them together. That would be epic!!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

This is on Dec 25th at 3pm. Online articles can be deceiving as the reporters "file" them the day before assuming it got up early as schempf probably headed out early on christmas eve? He's writing the article for the print edition and they just throw those up online.

Ohio is 5-8. Lost 3 of 4 plays 9-6 Toledo wed. Saul needs a win streak
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Saul gets first MAC win. 82-73 over ball state.

Here's an update on ohio's struggles

(Yesterday 02:29 PM)axeme Wrote:
    The team looks disinterested...
    I agree.

...they lack interior size....
    I disagree, they have the size they're just not taking advantage of it.

...are getting out-muscled and out-hustled.
    Definitely getting out worked.

In MAC play...0-4, incl. 0-2 at home to two teams who only have one other win between them...
    That's a dishonest way to categorize NIU and Toledo. NIU isn't a great team but Toledo has an RPI of 127 and was picked to win the MAC in the preseason. Solid team with lots of veterans, not a bad loss.

...In MAC play, it looks like he is getting out coached...In fairness, despite the disastrous start to conference play, he is a young coach and obviously still has a lot to learn about being a D-I coach at this level....
    I disagree. Saul is not a young coach that still has a lot to learn, he is a seasoned, veteran coach with a track record of success. I don't think he is getting out coached either. The problem isn't planning, its execution. At some point the players have to execute and so far Ohio's players are struggling to execute consistently.

..if he can recruit some better talent than he's working with now...
    Saul has plenty of talent, this is a program that has averaged 26 wins over the last 3 seasons. The problem is execution.

This team is very similar to the Ohio team in '09-'10 that started out 0-4 in the MAC but ended up winning the conference tournament and beating Georgetown in the first round. Both teams have tons of talent but struggle to execute consistently. The difference is the '10 team was dealing with poisonous attitudes in the locker room, the '15 team doesn't have that problem but their mental block seems to be coming from a building frustration.

Bottom line is the team is struggling more than anyone could have predicted, there's enough blame to go around so Saul and his staff do share in that but at this point I think he's making the right decisions. There's still enough talent on the team for them to snap out of it, they just need to get out of their own way and play.

Saul is "blindsided" by Sophomore SG Ryan Taylor has asked for, and been granted, his release at Ohio, according to reports. Saul Phillips is quoted as saying he was blindsided and does not know why, only reason given by Taylor was it was "a gut feeling". Bad timing for both player and team.

Taylor showed promise as a freshman in spite of battling a case of mono most of last season. He played 30min/gm and avg 8pts on 43% shooting. Taylor also played time as a backup at PG which Ohio is short on this season after losing Bean Willis and Stevie Taylor to graduation. 3 of Ohio's 5 incoming freshmen are SGs and will fill the gap.

Ouch Ryan Taylor ended up at Evansville in MVC