Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MAC or Summit?

Default MAC or Summit?

Based off Ohio's rumored interest in Saul Phillips, I thought it would be interesting to pose the question, which league is actually better for basketball? Or to phrase it another way, would Ohio actually be a step-up for Saul? And for the sake of this argument, please do not discuss $$. I know that Ohio can pay a lot more. Instead, let's just discuss the merits of the league, the schools, etc and which job is actually better. Interested to hear others thoughts and I will weigh in later.

Default Re: MAC or Summit?

MAC is in the next 5 after the Big 5. Summit isnt.
    MAC has cross rivals in football/basketball
    MAC has a tv contract
    MAC is an established conference without a merry go round
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Both tend to be one bid leagues, MAC schools have more resources. Also take Ohio specifically and look at the past coaches and the success they had at Ohio and where there coaching now, all high majors. Its definitely not a bad job in my mind.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Since 2008-2009 the Summit does have a winning record vs the MAC. It is a better league but not by much. It does get a few games on ESPN networks and is more stable. Still just one bid though. Like I said in a different thread it isn't like moving into the Mountain West, where you have very solid basketball schools and are in a league that can get four or five bids in good years.

The Summit with a four schools getting new arenas and with ORU coming back could give it a run.

Ohio is a step up from us. Mac is a slight step above Summit. Ohio went to the Sweet 16 a few years ago

Groce did take them to the sweet 16 but outside of his run they haven't really done much. Four NCAA appearances in 25 years.

It is a step up though, bigger budget. With the SHAC NDSU might have a better facility, Ohio's arena is huge but it is old.

Really NDSU needs to figure out what it wants to be. If we want to be a mid-major that is consistently winning we will need to improve our budget. Paying our HC $180k is not going to cut it. Too many schools pay more....just look at the breakdown from USA Today....http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...s/ncaab/coach/

I think the last time the MAC had more than one bid was about 1999. Fifteen years, give or take a year. Don't think you can call them a multi-bid league anymore. Does that make them a low-major?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Wonder what would happen if we got Saul to the 300k mark .... Would he stay until he got a big offer?

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Wonder what would happen if we got Saul to the 300k mark .... Would he stay until he got a big offer?
    I've had those same thoughts as well. I think he might. Big raise, he seems to love it here and of course the new arena. Would love to see Saul build with the momentum he has created.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The Summit is really growing and improving! Look at all the new arenas the Summit with have in the next 3 years, Also NDSU actually won a game in the tourmanent the MAC did not. I actaully think 5 to 10 years from now the MAC and Summit could be equal if not the Summit is better. It just depends on if conference shifts happen.