Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 Schedule

Default Re: 2014-2015 Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I still don't get why we can't thow out a game with Valley City State or Mayville State and play UN_ twice in a season. I know it's not usually done with a non-conference member. But it would be good to have a home game against them every year.
    I'll pass on that. Don't need to kill our RPI twice.

We need to try to get some MVC schools on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    We need to try to get some MVC schools on the schedule.
    Apparently they're too snobby to play their FB conference mates!

Saul needs to call Jeter at UW Milwaukee and get that match up going.

Also would be fun to get Toledo on that schedule and see Coach Kemp again.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Need to get rid of the Mayville State and Valley City State games. I don't care about playing the Sioux. But if we can improve our schedule, perhaps we could get an at large bid with a 22 plus win season eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Need to get rid of the Mayville State and Valley City State games. I don't care about playing the Sioux. But if we can improve our schedule, perhaps we could get an at large bid with a 22 plus win season eventually.
    So will you get DI teams to come in and get us home games?

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Non-DI games actually help our RPI according to Saul since they don't count, a home game against a bad RPI team is not helpful at all. Getting teams with consistently good RPI's to Fargo is a challenge. That said we should never play more than 2 non-D1s in one season, the committee will ding you if you load up on them.

To get an at-large it takes a combination of record, RPI, SOS, quality wins(top 50 especially) and few to no bad losses. Getting top 50 wins is really the most vital part, it shows the committee that you can beat tournament teams.

Just look at SFA this year, great record but no really good wins and a bad SOS....they had no shot an at-large.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Non-DI games actually help our RPI according to Saul since they don't count, a home game against a bad RPI team is not helpful at all. Getting teams with consistently good RPI's to Fargo is a challenge. That said we should never play more than 2 non-D1s in one season, the committee will ding you if you load up on them.

To get an at-large it takes a combination of record, RPI, SOS, quality wins(top 50 especially) and few to no bad losses. Getting top 50 wins is really the most vital part, it shows the committee that you can beat tournament teams.

Just look at SFA this year, great record but no really good wins and a bad SOS....they had no shot an at-large.
    Totally agree valley city type teams actually aren't that bad

I think he is referring to exhibition games. This past year Concordia was an exhibition and didn't count towards our record. However, DII teams Viterbo and Valley City State counted toward our overrall record. Now, a lot of teams play DII's because you can count 2 of them so that is not unusual. I agrre that I doubt that really hurts our RPI that much. I would rather play someone else but I can see the advantages of playing teams like Valley City, Mayville, Jamestown, and such. It gives us some good warm up games that we should hopefully win easily as well as giving the other schools in North Dakota a chance to play a DI team.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

I think it might be that there's no difference between playing an Naia or D2 team. Saul has said in the past that a lot of it has to do with lack of home games

Another reason teams (including NDSU) play exhibition games is because you can play true freshman without having to pull a redshirt.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN