Page 13 of 107 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/20 vs Oklahoma

Default Re: 3/20 vs Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Well when your best players foul out with 10-12 minutes to go, then what? You can't go the last 10 minutes with backups and expect to win games. Games are won or lost in the last few minutes most of the time unless it's clearly a blowout. That's basketball.
    But you can go 10 minutes in the middle of the first half, voluntarily, guaranteed; weighted against the possibility that they could foul out, maybe? Don't get it.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Well when your best players foul out with 10-12 minutes to go, then what? You can't go the last 10 minutes with backups and expect to win games. Games are won or lost in the last few minutes most of the time unless it's clearly a blowout. That's basketball.
    Coaches are paid to make in-game decisions, not to out think themselves pre-game. Saul needs to dance with the team he brought and adjust as things play out. He's done it before and needs to just do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    But you can go 10 minutes in the middle of the first half, voluntarily, guaranteed weighted against the possibility that they could foul out, maybe? Don't get it.
    Yes because you can control how out of control the game could possibly get and if you need to bring your guy back in early during the first 30 minutes of the game. Basketball is managed all the time to be in position for the last half of the second half. You can do all you want and be up double digits in the early second half but if you don't have your players on the floor to stop the run at the end of the game the lead early doesn't matter. It is all about positioning yourself for the last basically 5 minutes.

Heck what was Nebraska up against Ohio State last weekend 18 or close to it and they couldn't stop the onslaught at the end and lost the game. Makes no difference that they were up big they ended up losing and thats all that counts. Basketball is a very streaky game and coaching it is all about managing those streaks.

Heck we had a huge problem with streaks last year as there were many games that we went 6-8 minutes without scoring and it seemed like it was at the end of the first half but thats beside the point. Heck the championship game last week was the same way. How long were the teams stuck tied at 48 at the end of the game. It is that situation that you want to be able to have your best player in the game not fouled out sitting on the bench. Given the choice of having your best player sitting early in the game or at the end a coach will pick him sitting early every time.

The great thing towards the end of the this year is the emergence of Aaberg as it allows us to take Bjorkland out without a major fall off. A fall off but not as much as it was at the beginning of the year when Bjorkland seemed to be getting into foul trouble often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Yes because you can control how out of control the game could possibly get and if you need to bring your guy back in early during the first 30 minutes of the game. Basketball is managed all the time to be in position for the last half of the second half. You can do all you want and be up double digits in the early second half but if you don't have your players on the floor to stop the run at the end of the game the lead early doesn't matter. It is all about positioning yourself for the last basically 5 minutes.

Heck what was Nebraska up against Ohio State last weekend 18 or close to it and they couldn't stop the onslaught at the end and lost the game. Makes no difference that they were up big they ended up losing and thats all that counts. Basketball is a very streaky game and coaching it is all about managing those streaks.

Heck we had a huge problem with streaks last year as there were many games that we went 6-8 minutes without scoring and it seemed like it was at the end of the first half but thats beside the point. Heck the championship game last week was the same way. How long were the teams stuck tied at 48 at the end of the game. It is that situation that you want to be able to have your best player in the game not fouled out sitting on the bench. Given the choice of having your best player sitting early in the game or at the end a coach will pick him sitting early every time.

The great thing towards the end of the this year is the emergence of Aaberg as it allows us to take Bjorkland out without a major fall off. A fall off but not as much as it was at the beginning of the year when Bjorkland seemed to be getting into foul trouble often.
    This isn't the choice. The choice is between your best player definitely playing fewer minutes than he otherwise would and maybe playing fewer minutes than he otherwise would. I agree that coaches manage the game roughly as you describe. Who's on the court when and who's on the court together matters. So why screw that up just because an otherwise competent defender happens to pick up his second foul somewhat earlier than he typically does.

Coaches don't sit guys with fouls because it's the best strategy for winning, they do it because its the best strategy for not looking bad when you don't win. There's no down side for this team or this coach on Thursday so there's no reason to voluntarily sit your best players just because they pick up an extra foul early. Stick with your ideal rotation, Saul.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

GradBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This isn't the choice. The choice is between your best player definitely playing fewer minutes than he otherwise would and maybe playing fewer minutes than he otherwise would. I agree that coaches manage the game roughly as you describe. Who's on the court when and who's on the court together matters. So why screw that up just because an otherwise competent defender happens to pick up his second foul somewhat earlier than he typically does.

Coaches don't sit guys with fouls because it's the best strategy for winning, they do it because its the best strategy for not looking bad when you don't win. There's no down side for this team or this coach on Thursday so there's no reason to voluntarily sit your best players just because they pick up an extra foul early. Stick with your ideal rotation, Saul.
    I enjoy a good debate as much as the next guy, and I respect those who think outside the box and go against the majority and are not afraid to show it. That being said, I'm going to side with the multitude of college and pro coaches practice of taking out players in foul trouble. I disagree with your assessment that it's not the best strategy to winning, if it weren't it wouldn't be a strategy that's so widely adopted.

Go Bison! Kick some Sooner butt.

Quote Originally Posted by GradBison View Post
    I enjoy a good debate as much as the next guy, and I respect those who think outside the box and go against the majority and are not afraid to show it. That being said, I'm going to side with the multitude of college and pro coaches practice of taking out players in foul trouble. I disagree with your assessment that it's not the best strategy to winning, if it weren't it wouldn't be a strategy that's so widely adopted.

I thought the orginal proposition was to sit Bjorkland some in first have whether in foul trouble or not, just to ensure his presence on court at end. To that notion, I disagree with, and I believe BAudit does too, and is replying to that particular proposition.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I thought the orginal proposition was to sit Bjorkland some in first have whether in foul trouble or not, just to ensure his presence on court at end. To that notion, I disagree with, and I believe BAudit does too, and is replying to that particular proposition.
    Oh if that's the case then of course you don't sit him if he's NOT in foul trouble. Not sure if that's with audit meant, see below.

I wouldn't tell Bjork to play conservatively and I wouldn't take him out if he gets in "foul trouble". Stick with your rotation. It's crazy to me why coaches voluntarily sit guys when they otherwise wouldn't just because, maybe, they might foul out. Play your best players.

Coaches don't sit guys with fouls because it's the best strategy for winning, they do it because its the best strategy for not looking bad when you don't win.
    I totally disagree with this statement and will leave it at that. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GradBison View Post

Group think doesn't make it correct. It's the same theory as going for it on 4th/going for 2 more often. Statistically it's a no brainer, but very few coaches make the proper choice to maximize their chances of winning. It's coaching not to lose vs. coaching to win.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    Group think doesn't make it correct. It's the same theory as going for it on 4th/going for 2 more often. Statistically it's a no brainer, but very few coaches make the proper choice to maximize their chances of winning. It's coaching not to lose vs. coaching to win.
    I'm going to trust the experts (the coaches) on this one. Not everything can be turned into a "Money Ball" type situation, although statisticians and accountants would probably love that.