Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USD fires Joey James

Default Re: USD fires Joey James

Unfortunately, as an Augie fan, Tom Billeter's name has come up with this one a few times. Would hate to see him go if USD is interested. A couple of other names that have been thrown out include Craig Smith (as mentioned here) and Ryan Miller, who, up until last night, was the associate head coach at Auburn under Tony Barbee. I'm sure they'll have a pretty good number of applicants. It'll definitely be interesting to see what unfolds in Vermillion.

Stu Whitney (Argus Leader) tweeted this morning that "interviews will move fast" and includes Craig Smith, Ryan Miller, and Tom Billeter. Interesting list so far...I think Smith and Miller would both be homeruns, but each has a very different style and philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Stu Whitney (Argus Leader) tweeted this morning that "interviews will move fast" and includes Craig Smith, Ryan Miller, and Tom Billeter. Interesting list so far...I think Smith and Miller would both be homeruns, but each has a very different style and philosophy.
    All of them would be great hires.

Looks like a slew of former NDSU coaches are in the mix for the USD job. According to the Sioux Falls Argus Leader's Stu Whitney:

Jeff Rutter, an assistant under Ray Giacoletti at Drake, is among the candidates for USD men's basketball job. Played at Winona State.
    Mitchell native Ryan Miller has withdrawn his name from consideration for the USD men's basketball job.
    USD looking for prior head coaching experience. Right now favorites appear to be Nebraska assistant Craig Smith and Augie's Tom Billeter.
    Ryan Miller would have upgraded talent immediately but concern was whether he could run program efficiently over long-term.
    My gut feeling on USD basketball job right now would be Craig Smith, with Billeter there to pounce on it if Smith decides to decline.

I want Smith to hold off for a bit until we see what happend with Saul.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Interesting that Rutter is Ray-Giac's assistant. Those two were the finalists when Giacoletti got the job here.
    Van Club - Secretary of Agriculture (Barley & hops expert)

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I want Smith to hold off for a bit until we see what happend with Saul.
    Smith will be my #1 choice whenever Saul leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Smith will be my #1 choice whenever Saul leaves.
    Honest question: Can we afford him? Isn't he making at least $25k more than Saul right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Honest question: Can we afford him? Isn't he making at least $25k more than Saul right now.
    I guess he really wants to become a head coach from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Good point. But if we can't afford him, how would USD do it?
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.