Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This article bothers me

Default This article bothers me

Most likely Dan Gunderson doesn't follow Bison athletics very carefully. This article is full of inaccuracies and over-generalized statements to make a point. A very poor point at that.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/the-pinto-and-...ate-to-say-it/

Default Re: This article bothers me

Sad to say that it may be true. I prefer football over Basketball but the NCAA tourney is much bigger nationally than the FCS games this can not be disputed. As for myself I will watch and cheer for the Bison in what ever sport it is.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

He's right that NDSU will get more eyes from a NCAA basketball appearance than an FCS Championship. Collectively it's hard to measure the value of 3 championships and Gameday, but I still think more people hear about basketball appearance. If they get a 12 seed they'll get even more attention because that line is always looked at for potential upsets.

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Gunderson exaggerates to make his point. He's not worth reading. Just a kid who repeats what he hears on rewind, feedback and the fan. Mcfooly's producer. Nuf said

I would agree and disagree. On one level it's certainly true that NDSU would get far more people's attention with a basketball appearance over a football title. With a BB appearance, you've got tens of millions of people filling out brackets and seeing our name. But we're just one of many teams like that. There will be over a dozen teams in the bracket that the general sports population will have little to no prior knowledge of. With that many names, people learn a tiny bit about each and then just as quickly forget it once the bracket is done. The only way to create memories is to actually win a game. And really, that isn't enough either. There are normally at least a few upsets in the round of 64. To create lasting memories and be a true Cinderella, you have to make it to the Sweet Sixteen.

I would argue for lasting impression:

2013 Bison football season > 2014 MBB NCAA appearance

2013 Bison football season >/= 2014 MBB round of 64 win

2013 Bison football season < 2014 MBB round of 32 win (going to the Sweet Sixteen)

Now I would agree that even just appearing in the NCAAs is bigger than any single event in the 2013 FB season, but it was the string of FB events* that created lasting impressions in the minds of national sports fans. For NDSU MBB to do the same, it will also require a string of events**.

*2x NC, KSU win(4th straight FBS), GameDay, undefeated reg. season, 3rd NC
    **Summit champ, R64 win, R32 win

>/= means roughly equal or maybe a little greater than

I agree with Hammersmith.

He was arguing exposure. George Mason, UNI, Valpo, and these teams were only remembered for their run in the tourney. I guess I consider having a game on primetime at KSU/Gameday fanfare for a week/Gameday itself/National championship greater than a single game in the Big Dance. I don't remember a lot of 12/13/14 seeds loses in the tournament. In fact, besides SDSU I can't remember a single 12/13/14 seed from last year. I bet I'm in the majority. They just don't stick. So the "exposure" is very, very temporary unless you can get a win. So I think Gunderson used conjecture here. Besides the fact that he pits the exposure of each sport against each other. This isn't the school up north where it's hockey VS all other sports. This is NDSU and the athletic department will view it as another feather in the hat. Not taking a feather from football and adding it to basketball. I'll go with the former. Gunderson doesn't sound like a Bison fan.

I live outside the NDSU market and more people I talk to remember the 2009 NCAA appearance than the FCS championships. From a marketing perspective you measure eyeballs and there's no comparison. I would agree from a regional and energizing fan base standpoint football has had more impact. This article though is about national exposure.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I live outside the NDSU market and more people I talk to remember the 2009 NCAA appearance than the FCS championships. From a marketing perspective you measure eyeballs and there's no comparison. I would agree from a regional and energizing fan base standpoint football has had more impact. This article though is about national exposure.

That's funny because I talk to people in ND (some are relatives) who don't even know, or act like they don't know, that NDSU ever made the big dance. I talked to a co-worker (major hockey fan of course) who was unaware that NDSU ever made the tournament. She isn't from here however. Not to minimize anything you are saying, but I have friends in the Atlanta area who are now semi-Bison fans because of all the exposure from football the last few years. I had to tell them that we made the NCAA tournament in 09. Nobody remembered it. Maybe it is because you live in Indiana and basketball IS life there?

Even with the supposed exposure it will all be forgotten if they are one and done. You have to make a run in the tourney to have it really be effective.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheMighty View Post
    That's funny because I talk to people in ND (some are relatives) who don't even know, or act like they don't know, that NDSU ever made the big dance. I talked to a co-worker (major hockey fan of course) who was unaware that NDSU ever made the tournament. She isn't from here however. Not to minimize anything you are saying, but I have friends in the Atlanta area who are now semi-Bison fans because of all the exposure from football the last few years. I had to tell them that we made the NCAA tournament in 09. Nobody remembered it. Maybe it is because you live in Indiana and basketball IS life there?
    That might contribute somewhat but I work with people all over the country and unless you are a die hard football fan or a fan of another FCS school you aren't paying any attention to the FCS playoffs. People I know will notice the Bison football team because they know it's my team. I'm talking more about random conversations with people I don't know or didn't know I went to school there.

Winning 3 in a row and having Game day increased that awareness significantly, but the NDSU brand gains a lot more national exposure from the basketball appearance than the football championships. Locally is a different story. I'm saying that as a marketing professional and not as a Bison fan.