Page 97 of 169 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohl News

Default Re: Bohl News

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Didn't Bohl have some offers before Wyoming?
    Not that I've ever heard...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I have no doubt Bohl could recruit at Purdue, but I was referring to the difficulty it is to battle schools like tOSU, Michigan and soon, PSU for top recruits as opposed to Boise State and the USAFA.

To be successful, yes, he would have to take the same approach that he did at NDSU. I believe this is similar to what Wisconsin and Iowa do in regards to recruiting.

In regards to talented kids in Indiana, there's a ton of them there, especially at places like Warren.
    Yes you have a lot more competition, but there are also a ton of good high school players in that footprint.

Warren Central is a football machine. It's the district next to where I live. But they also compete in a conference that makes it very difficult to win. The top 4 teams in the state are in that conference and team 5-8 are usually in the top 20. The state champ in the largest class has come from that conference 15 of the last 17 years (6 by Warren, 4 by Ben Davis, 2 each by Center Grove and Carmel). The losing team has been from this conference in 8 of those 17 years also. Carmel and Center Grove are playing in the finals this weekend. Center Grove already beat Warren Central and Ben Davis in the playoffs and are the favorite. They have 2 stud RBs, one of which is committed to Indiana State. The other was a transfer from Ohio, and he's committed to Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    You're probably right and that's so frustrating to me. Time after time coaches go for a big name to make a splash as opposed to hiring someone who will build something from the bottom up. Minnesota comes to mind. Apparently they didn't need Bohl.
    The alumni want them to get Les Miles. If Charlie Strong becomes available they'll probably want him as well. If they had not had successive failures with rising coaches they may be more inclined to go after a guy like Bohl. But there is also no guarantee any of those other coaches will want to come to Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    Per Izzo tweet:

Interesting news out from @BruceFeldmanCFB; Wyoming working on a contract extension for Craig Bohl. Original deal was thru 2018
    Wouldn't Bohl have still been under contact for us? Length of contract in meaningless.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I wonder if after he gets a contract extension, then finds a better opportunity and leaves, will Wyoming supporters forget all the success he had and talk about how awful he is for leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Wouldn't Bohl have still been under contact for us? Length of contract in meaningless.
    Wouldn't a potential suitor have to buy it out? Longer == mo' $$$, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Wouldn't a potential suitor have to buy it out? Longer == mo' $$$, right?
    I don't think so. They can just offer him a contract, Bohl can tear up the old one, and they would pay what amounts to an "exit fee."

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I don't think so. They can just offer him a contract, Bohl can tear up the old one, and they would pay what amounts to an "exit fee."
    That exit fee is almost certainly in the contract.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Yes you have a lot more competition, but there are also a ton of good high school players in that footprint.

Warren Central is a football machine. It's the district next to where I live. But they also compete in a conference that makes it very difficult to win. The top 4 teams in the state are in that conference and team 5-8 are usually in the top 20. The state champ in the largest class has come from that conference 15 of the last 17 years (6 by Warren, 4 by Ben Davis, 2 each by Center Grove and Carmel). The losing team has been from this conference in 8 of those 17 years also. Carmel and Center Grove are playing in the finals this weekend. Center Grove already beat Warren Central and Ben Davis in the playoffs and are the favorite. They have 2 stud RBs, one of which is committed to Indiana State. The other was a transfer from Ohio, and he's committed to Louisville.

The alumni want them to get Les Miles. If Charlie Strong becomes available they'll probably want him as well. If they had not had successive failures with rising coaches they may be more inclined to go after a guy like Bohl. But there is also no guarantee any of those other coaches will want to come to Purdue.
    During my time in wrestling, I've been to countless high schools across the nation. Warren Central is one of the most impressive I had the opportunity to work at. We (USAW) have a pretty big event (Schoolboy/girl National Duals) there every year. The school has a pretty good list of former athletes making it to the NFL, most notably Jeff George. However, the person we Bison fans might be most familiar with is former Indiana State RB, Shakir Bell.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I wonder if after he gets a contract extension, then finds a better opportunity and leaves, will Wyoming supporters forget all the success he had and talk about how awful he is for leaving?
    I don't remember anyone saying it was awful for him leaving. There were people upset about the way he left. I also think there were many people here that agreed with Bohl he accomplished all his goals here and leaving was inevitable but maybe was selling himself a little short by taking the Wyoming job. Again, still don't recall any sentiment about leaving being awful. Also again, if you want to go down that rabbit hole all over about the way he left, that is a completely different story.

Wyoming, on the other hand, might have different complaints if he were to leave now. Bohl laid out what he was going to do for that program. He made it sound like it was going to be a long term commitment. Cowboy supporters might have a legitimate complaint he didn't follow through with everything he promised if he were to leave now.

Personally, I hope he makes the most out of his career and opportunities available. I think he is a great program manager. I also feel he did great things at NDSU. It was too bad the way he left because there were a lot of things going on during Bohl's tenure here where the school supported him through some tenuous difficulties. Difficulties that might have led to the dismissal of a coach in other institutions. I expected him to leave NDSU at some point. The way he left did leave a trail of bad feelings. I am sure if Bohl could go back in time, he would have managed that situation differently. It leads me back to the same point I have made a few times now, where most people didn't think about how awful he was for leaving.

Didn't Bohl sign a large extension the year he left? Don't think him laying out a "long term" plan for Wyoming is going to mean anything. The scenario is going to be similar though in he'll likely have Wyoming in a late date bowl game but someone is going to want to get him started right away....
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.