Page 30 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohl News

Default Re: Bohl News

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    That makes sense. I still don't think it's a bad idea to spend SOME resources to recruit states like Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. He has a certain amount of name recognition that could make the difference in getting one or two recruits. No different than us recruiting Texas and/or Florida.
    The more I think about it, Nebraska should become his new WI. I think that is the state where his departure will clearly hurt us the most. That should be a prime focus for him. We need Stick and RJ to start lighting it up to keep NDSU on the tip of the toungue in Omaha. We are still a little closer to Omaha, i think.

Man recruiting is a crazy business.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    That makes sense. I still don't think it's a bad idea to spend SOME resources to recruit states like Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. He has a certain amount of name recognition that could make the difference in getting one or two recruits. No different than us recruiting Texas and/or Florida.
    Doesn't some of the problem come from taking a basically whole staff that didn't recruit those areas very much at all. It would make for a seamless transition in recruiting if Wyoming was going to be recruiting the same areas but they overall are not going to be able to do that if they want to be successful. Instead of trying to pick up the NDSU program and move it to Laramie, I think he would have been better off getting some coaches that had major experience recruiting the areas they will hit, Colorado, Oklahoma ext ext. Yes he kept very good coaches he knew, but the downfall was that those coaches didn't have major relationships with coaches in the new recruiting area. That is the part that they are going to be starting from ground zero and have to build up (plus for the love of God you have to recruit to Laramie).

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Doesn't some of the problem come from taking a basically whole staff that didn't recruit those areas very much at all. It would make for a seamless transition in recruiting if Wyoming was going to be recruiting the same areas but they overall are not going to be able to do that if they want to be successful. Instead of trying to pick up the NDSU program and move it to Laramie, I think he would have been better off getting some coaches that had major experience recruiting the areas they will hit, Colorado, Oklahoma ext ext. Yes he kept very good coaches he knew, but the downfall was that those coaches didn't have major relationships with coaches in the new recruiting area. That is the part that they are going to be starting from ground zero and have to build up (plus for the love of God you have to recruit to Laramie).
    Why do you think Kill has been able to pull it off with the same blueprint? Is it because he never moved that far when he went SIU, NIU, then U of M? I've suspected Bohl has been trying to learn from Kill as they clearly had a lot of respect for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Why do you think Kill has been able to pull it off with the same blueprint? Is it because he never moved that far when he went SIU, NIU, then U of M? I've suspected Bohl has been trying to learn from Kill as they clearly had a lot of respect for each other.
    Yes I do think that is part of the reason. A good template still needs the correct part put into it. I you look at the Gopher roster lots of Minn, Wisc, Ill, kids basically half of the last few classes from those 3 states and then the Fla and TX and other ones for icing on the cake.

Going the other direction, see how Lennon moved into a area that he had not recruited and see what happened. Heck he took a Caddy and turned it into a beat up old Plymouth.

You have to be able to win locally in the recruiting.

Yes I do think that is part of the reason. A good template still needs the correct part put into it. I you look at the Gopher roster lots of Minn, Wisc, Ill, kids basically half of the last few classes from those 3 states and then the Fla and TX and other ones for icing on the cake.

Going the other direction, see how Lennon moved into a area that he had not recruited and see what happened. Heck he took a Caddy and turned it into a beat up old Plymouth.

You have to be able to win locally in the recruiting.
    Based on all this, I think this most interesting part of this will be to see if Wyoming gives Bohl enough time to turn that baby around. I would bet he will need at least 5 years to be a respectable MWC team and even then, he will need some over achievers/diamonds in the rough like Brock Jensen.

Some valid points. I think it boils down to him being comfortable with a coaching staff that he knows can COACH and buys into his system. These guys should be able to build relationships in new areas. I think some of them did it at NDSU. How much time they have is another subject.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Based on all this, I think this most interesting part of this will be to see if Wyoming gives Bohl enough time to turn that baby around. I would bet he will need at least 5 years to be a respectable MWC team and even then, he will need some over achievers/diamonds in the rough like Brock Jensen.
    It's not like the bar for success is very high. Heck make the "Charmin I took a loose watery crap last night Bowl" and you are probably going to get a 30% raise. It's not like the expectations out there are very high. The tradition and history out there is one of losing.

It's not like the bar for success is very high. Heck make the "Charmin I took a loose watery crap last night Bowl" and you are probably going to get a 30% raise. It's not like the expectations out there are very high. The tradition and history out there is one of losing.
    In my mind, if Bohl can't do it, with his West Coast/Nebraska philosophy, no one can.

Bohl is hitting Oklahoma pretty hard
    Last edited by ndsubison1; 11-25-2014 at 07:34 PM.