Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNI athletics over budget

Default UNI athletics over budget

With University of Northern Iowa strapped for cash and its tuition revenue sliding, unionized faculty members are criticizing the administration for devoting nearly $4.3 million of the campus’ general university funds to athletics in the 2023 budget year — almost $1 million more than planned.

UNI in fiscal 2022 provided $3.5 million to athletics, which was $148,616 more than budgeted — amounting to $7.8 million total over the two years, or $1.06 million more than expected in fiscal 2022 and 2023.

Although the UNI athletics contribution made up just 2 percent of UNI’s total budget in fiscal 2023, it accounted for nearly 28 percent of the athletics budget.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UNI athletics over budget

That's interesting.
    I wonder if attracting donors is tougher being so close to Iowa & Iowa State?

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    That's interesting.
    I wonder if attracting donors is tougher being so close to Iowa & Iowa State?
    The problem is the State of Iowa allocates the lion share of money to U of Iowa and Iowa State. They really hamstring UNI.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I could see a LOT of FCS programs shuttering football over the next 10 years. I am not saying that UNI's problem is football, but don't they make more revenue from basketball than football?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Bison View Post
    I could see a LOT of FCS programs shuttering football over the next 10 years. I am not saying that UNI's problem is football, but don't they make more revenue from basketball than football?
    I've been thinking about this lately and I agree I think a lot of schools shutdown football in the next 10 years and if/when the FBS split happens any realignment fallout from that will be a huge catalyst for some schools. I don't think it will only be the worst programs or also-rans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Bison View Post
    I think the ncaa should make it a requirement to maintain a profitable athletic program to remain a d1 program. If you don't make money, you should be a d2 or d3 program. I also think the ncaa should allow d2 and d3 schools to play d1 basketball...similar to hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowstreak View Post
    I think the ncaa should make it a requirement to maintain a profitable athletic program to remain a d1 program. If you don't make money, you should be a d2 or d3 program. I also think the ncaa should allow d2 and d3 schools to play d1 basketball...similar to hockey.
    None of them make money. They are not for profit enterprises.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    None of them make money. They are not for profit enterprises.
    Not exactly:

https://www.on3.com/news/usa-today-r...tics-programs/

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Revenue is not profit.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Revenue is not profit.
    Isn't profit the difference between revenue and expenses?