Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules Lesson

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Rules Lesson

When I first started officiating football the first thing I learned was how little I knew the rules. When I watched games I realized why I didn't know the rules. Most of my knowledge came from announcers. Who knew they didn't know the rules. It also helped me realize I don't know basketball or baseball rules. I'll see calls that I think are wrong, but realize even a bad basketball official knows the rules better than me.

This is a good blog that points out some of those misunderstandings in basketball. I never knew there wasn't a foul for "over-the-back". Thanks again announcers.

http://www.bordaslaw.com/blog/2014/0...re-wrong.shtml

Default Re: Rules Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    When I first started officiating football the first thing I learned was how little I knew the rules. When I watched games I realized why I didn't know the rules. Most of my knowledge came from announcers. Who knew they didn't know the rules. It also helped me realize I don't know basketball or baseball rules. I'll see calls that I think are wrong, but realize even a bad basketball official knows the rules better than me.

This is a good blog that points out some of those misunderstandings in basketball. I never knew there wasn't a foul for "over-the-back". Thanks again announcers.

This is great info. I didn't know any of that. I am coaching youth basketball and not only do the fans not know these things, but coaches and refs don't either.

even in high school i shook my head at fans that complained about "over the back". also most people think traveling is the number of steps when the officials are only looking at the pivot foot (other than nba). plus if a player doesnt have possession of the ball it is not a travel. also same confusion with block/charge calls. there are lots of rules that fans and even announcers do not know of or misinterpret. ill go as far as saying even players dont know ALL of the exact rules either

...but realize even a bad basketball official knows the rules better than me.
    Don't be to sure of that says a former bad basketball official. Our rules meetings were more a social event.
    "You're either green and growing or ripe and dying." - Craig Bohl

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    even in high school i shook my head at fans that complained about "over the back". also most people think traveling is the number of steps when the officials are only looking at the pivot foot (other than nba). plus if a player doesnt have possession of the ball it is not a travel. also same confusion with block/charge calls. there are lots of rules that fans and even announcers do not know of or misinterpret. ill go as far as saying even players dont know ALL of the exact rules either
    I guarantee you coaches and players also don't know the rules. I base that on the comments and questions I get from players.

The biggest thing this writer talks about that applies to all sports is philosophy. It is a huge part of officiating and unless you have invested time as an official AFTER learning the rules, then you will not understand these. It's not because you are stupid. It's because you don't have the context of the rules and experience applying those rules on the field/court/arena. It's a never-ending learning process.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I guarantee you coaches and players also don't know the rules. I base that on the comments and questions I get from players.

The biggest thing this writer talks about that applies to all sports is philosophy. It is a huge part of officiating and unless you have invested time as an official AFTER learning the rules, then you will not understand these. It's not because you are stupid. It's because you don't have the context of the rules and experience applying those rules on the field/court/arena. It's a never-ending learning process.
    The philosophy is a big part of why officials get a bad rap as it may lead to a foul being called on one team but not the other. I agree with the advantage/disadvantage philosophy, but it will always be the part that is most criticized.

Thanks for posting this! I would love to see one from the other major sports as well (maybe I'll do some searching). The traveling part was very interesting and that is the first time I've seen the diving for the ball clearly explained.

I don't care what that article says. I am right and I'm going to yell at the ref and let him know that!!!!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

This would be good for a beginner class. I would agree that some fans have a misinturpretation of the rules. However, I highly doubt coaches above the junior high level don't know the rules. Officiating is judgemental calls.
    Did the offensive player gain an advantage by moving into the defensive player or did the defensive player gain an advantage by moving into the offensive player?
    Yes the defender is allowed to move, but the player can not move into the defender (slide under as offensive player is in the air) or "ride" the offensive player.
    What do you consider possession of the basketball in regards to traveling? At least one hand on the ball at a rest? How about a player "bobbling" the ball but yet controling where it goes? How long does the ball have to rest on a hand or finger for it to be possessed?

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

One call that hasn't been discussed on his blog yet is the over-and-back call. I feel like that's a call that consistently gets called incorrectly. Either the official doesn't call it when it's a clear over-and-back violation, or the player doesn't necessarily go over-and-back but because of how his feet are positioned when receiving the ball, the ref assumes it should be called. Just a personal complaint of mine. Seems like there's never much consistency with over-and-back (other than it is consistently mis-called).

Thanks again for posting this.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

One call that hasn't been discussed on his blog yet is the over-and-back call. I feel like that's a call that consistently gets called incorrectly. Either the official doesn't call it when it's a clear over-and-back violation, or the player doesn't necessarily go over-and-back but because of how his feet are positioned when receiving the ball, the ref assumes it should be called. Just a personal complaint of mine. Seems like there's never much consistency with over-and-back (other than it is consistently mis-called).

Thanks again for posting this.
    What is the actual ruling on this these days? I was taught the 2/3 rule - there are 3 points you should watch: 2 feet and the ball. You can have one of them cross the line and it's still ok, but as soon as the second one happens, then it's a violation.

No idea if that's still the way it is still done.