Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    That's what I'm saying. Maybe I'm wrong, but what I'm saying is that 20-30 years ago, a lot more effective blocking techniques were used but they outlawed some of them to cut down on knee injuries. The result was more and more passing and now we have QBs and WRs getting hit high repeatedly (traded knee injuries for head injuries). Not a good tradeoff in my opinion. It makes it worse when the rules have changed over time to favor receivers and hurt DBs. I think this contributed to the "well they may catch it, but we're going to make them pay" strategies where people "blow up" receivers.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but having watched hundreds if not thousands of fb games over decades, that's what I see.
    There is a lot of space between the knees and head to hit someone. I don't think one has been traded for the other.

The blow-up hits have increased because the media (and I believe NFL/NCAA) liked to highlight them. It led to poor technique where defenders tried to blow up opponents rather than tackle them. It turned good defensive hits from boulders into missiles. If you want old video you'll see the hard hits, but you typically see them as part of a wrap-up. HS and small college players still do a pretty good job of wrapping up so we have a lot fewer issues with targeting. Our crew only had 1 targeting call all season and another one we missed.

Default Re: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

Didn't want to start a new thread:

NDSU Bison Football Fans

11 mins ·

Missouri Valley Football will have instant replay in 2014! No more missed calls that deserves a YES from everyone! HAVE A GOOD EASTER
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Instant reply is a good thing for college football when done right. Glad that the Valley is taking the lead on this being the first conference to implement it. The only concern I have is for some teams who do not have all their games televised, and therefor don't have many cameras pointed at the actioin. Will there be a disadvantage for those schools vs ones that do televise every game? Anyways, I like the reply, especially for targeting calls where they can take a look and decide if the player deserves to be tossed out of the game or not. Can't remember the player or game last year, but we got screwed on an ejection where reply clearly showed it was not intentional.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Just hope Bill Fette isn't the replay guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Just hope Bill Fette isn't the replay guy!
    Reps for the dig; we have an obligation to teach hatred to the younger generation.