Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    The 10 second runoff rule is stupid and a joke. It basically means a team trailing cannot run a hurry up offense in the 4th qtr. I guess the games will get over faster anyway.
    Incorrect. They can still run a hurry-up. The play clock starts as soon as the previous play ends. Most of the time the ball is spotted between 28-32 seconds left on the play clock. In the least 2 minutes of each half you can snap it as soon as the ball is spotted. Even in a hurry up the ball is usually snapped between 25 and 30 seconds. You can probably count on two hands the number of teams in the country this will affect.

Default Re: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

The 10 second rule is stupid. It stifles innovation and is an excuse for defenders not to do their cardio. If the offense subs they have to allow the defense to sub as we'll under the current rules. If they don't then the defense can at their own risk. There's nothing unsafe or unfair about the current rule.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Why do they completely overboard on rule changes to start with and then back off?

I mean, you are coming off a time out and you can't snap the ball when you want. That's ridiculous.

My guess is that the rule either gets discarded or tweaked.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Why do they completely overboard on rule changes to start with and then back off?

I mean, you are coming off a time out and you can't snap the ball when you want. That's ridiculous.

My guess is that the rule either gets discarded or tweaked.
    In that situation the play clock starts at 25 seconds and this does not apply. This only applies when a play ends and the play clock is set to 40 seconds and started immediately. Within 2 minutes of each half the offense doesn't have to wait until the play clock reaches 29. This only slows down the super-fast offenses like Oregon and some of the Big XII. And it only slows them down 2-3 seconds per play.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    In that situation the play clock starts at 25 seconds and this does not apply. This only applies when a play ends and the play clock is set to 40 seconds and started immediately. Within 2 minutes of each half the offense doesn't have to wait until the play clock reaches 29. This only slows down the super-fast offenses like Oregon and some of the Big XII. And it only slows them down 2-3 seconds per play.
    Ah, that makes more sense then. Wonder why they couldn't just enforce the rule on first downs? I mean, college athletes should be able to last three plays.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Ah, that makes more sense then. Wonder why they couldn't just enforce the rule on first downs? I mean, college athletes should be able to last three plays.
    Probably because the coaches (remember they are the rules committee) want the ability to situational sub on 2nd and 3rd down.

Where I think this will help the defense is they know they will have 10 seconds to execute a substitution after a play. Under the previous rule they don't know if the ball will be ready and snapped in 5-6 seconds so they can't risk trying to replace a player. It will still be quick at 10 seconds. It's very rare for the ball to be snapped before 30 seconds already.

Looks like the 10 second rule is dead

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-10-s...4709--spt.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Looks like the 10 second rule is dead

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-10-s...4709--spt.html
    Tabled not dead. I expect to see something next year and wouldn't be surprised if we are advised to make sure all the officials are ready before stepping away from the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Tabled not dead. I expect to see something next year and wouldn't be surprised if we are advised to make sure all the officials are ready before stepping away from the ball.
    I sure hope you're wrong. This is just a couple of curmudgeonly coaches trying to cram their agenda down on everyone else. There is no safety issue here and if some miserly group of officials take it upon themselves to "fix" this, that isn't going to do over well either.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I sure hope you're wrong. This is just a couple of curmudgeonly coaches trying to cram their agenda down on everyone else. There is no safety issue here and if some miserly group of officials take it upon themselves to "fix" this, that isn't going to do over well either.
    Completely agree...stupid rule. Maybe guys like Saban should watch game film of defenses that have managed to stop these fast paced offenses rather than cry about it. Ill look up curmuwhatever later