Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

Default Re: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    At least they fixed the targeting rule, nothing like getting a 15 yard penalty for a something that video review confirms didn't happen.

Now all we have to do is get video review allowed in the MVFC.
    Never question the brain trust at the NCAA.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Default Re: Rule change to allow for defensive substitutions....Plus Targeting rule change

I don't see the defensive substitution rule changing much, most rapid play teams still don't snap it with more then 30 seconds on the play clock anyway. Why should the offense get all the favorable rules, about time the defenses get a break IMO.

Glad to see targeting is a reviewable play now.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post

Now all we have to do is get video review allowed in the MVFC.
    But then where will we get fodder for the Patty Viverito Conspiracy Theory?
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Quote Originally Posted by DjKyRo View Post
    But then where will we get fodder for the Patty Viverito Conspiracy Theory?
    She will be the replay official! She will handle every replay from a central hub in grand forks for some reason

player safety is such a cop out answer for every stupid rule. Not sure how it effects touchdown celebrations. maybe they dont someone tearing a groin while doing a dance?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Most teams wont snap it in less than 10 seconds but they could get to the line and not let the defense substitute. Hate this potential rule I don't think it has anything to do with player safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I believe the safety aspect is the defense against a hurry up is somewhat at risk against some of the offenses you are now seeing in the PAC12. The players get gassed and are more prone to injury because of it. Not sure if there is any data around that. Most offenses don't snap before 30 seconds anyway so it won't be a huge impact except for a very small number of schools.

The change in the targeting review (it was already reviewable) addresses the situation where the only foul called is targeting but review shows it wasn't targeting. It didn't make sense to still assess a 15-yard penalty. But if the targeting was done in conjunction with another foul (i.e. roughing the passer, UNR, KCI) the other penalty will still stand if replay reverses the targeting foul. It's a logical progression.

Rule changes aren't made by the NCAA staff or board. They have a committee of coaches who propose, meet, and pass rule changes. Now they pass it on to the NCAA. Point your anger/hatred at them.

If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    How many times have we seen NDSU make a big play, end up at the goal line with inches to go, and Brock would run to the line of scrimmage and QB sneak it in before the defense has a chance to sub? Is it really helping the safety of the student athletes?
    I don't think it really hurts us that much on that front. If the opposing defense wants to try to run players from their sideline at the 25 to the goal line and get them in position in under ten seconds I would say more power to them. That "fresh" set of legs isn't gonna be very fresh anymore and if anything will just cause confusion on the part of their defense. Now if the ball were near midfield...that's probably a different story.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The 10 second runoff rule is stupid and a joke. It basically means a team trailing cannot run a hurry up offense in the 4th qtr. I guess the games will get over faster anyway.