Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest spring ball position battles

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Biggest spring ball position battles

Looking forward to seeing the battles on both sides of the line. I think with all the young guys fighting for time on the dline, we will be pleasantly surprised.

Any idea on what kind of a format there will be this year? 2 seperate full teams? Offense vs. Defense (can't figure out how to word this one to not get the "offense always goes against a defense" replies)? Probably still too early for anyone to know as I'm pretty sure CK has other things on his mind

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Pretty sure Austin got the green light and is 100% a go for spring
    I heard that. He was a big signing a few years ago and I'm sure he's ready to show what he has! 8 months of recovery has to suck.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Oh and I'm really excited to see how Polasek does calling plays. Will we see a vanilla offense (moreso than a usual spring game I mean)?

Quote Originally Posted by gobisontd View Post
    QB: Carson will come in the #1 but will be fun to watch Derek and Cole fight for #2 and push Carson
    RB: King and Morlock.
    FB: Cyr, Bennie Wilson (I still see Bonnet as more of an H-Back/TE)
    WR: See the development of our slot guys... DeSean and Tyler
    TE: See the past years development of Illies, Wentz and also see the newcomer Marcus
    OLine: obvious battles all over the place. Too many to name.
    DLine: Dtackle... lots of inexperience. Farnlof
    LB: Excited to see some new guys and their dev: Plank, PGT, Alex Hahn who's up to 220, James Gates
    DB: Chris Board, enough said.

And our All Lumberyard Team: Plank, Plankers, Board, Woods, Stumpf, Stick
    Board packs some serious punch. I heard Liekus is moving to linebacker which is interesting. He can tackle as we've seen on special teams but for a linebacker he will be very fast and obviously good in coverage.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Board packs some serious punch. I heard Liekus is moving to linebacker which is interesting. He can tackle as we've seen on special teams but for a linebacker he will be very fast and obviously good in coverage.
    Already did move. Played their last year.

I know Kolpack has been mentioning Board as a guy to watch.

This will be the most interesting spring game since 2003 (that's the year that they benched Joe Mays for abusing the offense after an interception, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    I think you could say that Woods has answered questions. That TD catch he had against UNI was huge. He was probably #3 on the depth chart this year getting equal playing time if not more than Gebhart. I'd say the questions will be who steps up behind Vraa, Gebhart, and Woods? Gray hasn't shown much. Perkins looks like he will compete with Wrice in the slot. Warren hasn't stepped on the field in two years due to knee injuries. Personally I think Woods and Vraa offer a lot of athleticism on the outside, Gebhart is steady. Hopefully a couple of others step up.

I don't think their is a question at MLB. I see our defense using multiple packages between base and nickel like last year. CLJ can play any linebacker spot on the field. DeLuca looks like the real deal. My guess is that towards the beginning of the year you will see more of Esley, CLJ, and Beck. But as the year goes on DeLuca will play more MLB, giving CLJ more time at the his natural weakside linebacker spot. Carlton will be our middle on our nickel, his range in our cover 2 is huge.

Overall I just don't see their being many questions in the the linebacker core. Our staff is only recruiting Marlette. We have all 3 starters returning (CLJ, Beck, Thorton). Stumpf, DeLuca, and PGT all saw the field last year. Plus we have redshirt guys like Plank, Hahn, and Gates. Not to mention the possibility of Liekhus playing OLB. I think our staff is pretty comfortbale with our situation.
    Dee Gray will be amazing if he can add some weight. Right now he's too skinny and struggled when jammed at the line. Hes the tallest and one of the lightest. Some people struggle to add weight based in their frame. This is an important off season for him

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Dee Gray will be amazing if he can add some weight. Right now he's too skinny and struggled when jammed at the line. Hes the tallest and one of the lightest. Some people struggle to add weight based in their frame. This is an important off season for him
    I agree on Gray. I also think this is an important off-season and season for Woods. His athleticism and ability certainly showed at times (such as the UNI catch referenced earlier), but he lacked consistency IMHO.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

QB: Carson will come in the #1 but will be fun to watch Derek and Cole fight for #2 and push Carson
    RB: King and Morlock.
    FB: Cyr, Bennie Wilson (I still see Bonnet as more of an H-Back/TE)
    WR: See the development of our slot guys... DeSean and Tyler
    TE: See the past years development of Illies, Wentz and also see the newcomer Marcus
    OLine: obvious battles all over the place. Too many to name.
    DLine: Dtackle... lots of inexperience. Farnlof
    LB: Excited to see some new guys and their dev: Plank, PGT, Alex Hahn who's up to 220, James Gates
    DB: Chris Board, enough said. Tre Dempsey(heard very good things) Zach Colvin is a player as well

Added a couple that I think will make an impact next year..

Maybe we should just call them Team MENARD.