Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Future schedules?

Default Re: Future schedules?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Navy wouldn't. Their conference would not like it if they scheduled an FCS home and home. Army might though. They have in the past with Yale.
    I will respectfully disagree...they have Lehigh on their schedule this year. They used to play Georgia Southern every year when they were FCS...which is why i thought the matchup would be interesting...they played close games and they were the same years we were playing GS in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    IDK, I think it would be a pretty close game. I seriously doubt we'd blow out 'bama, they're better than you think.
    Careful you will end up in the Forum attached to a photo illustration.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    I will respectfully disagree...they have Lehigh on their schedule this year. They used to play Georgia Southern every year when they were FCS...which is why i thought the matchup would be interesting...they played close games and they were the same years we were playing GS in the playoffs.
    I assume the Navy GSU thing happened because of coach ties.. Didn't the GSU coach move on to Navy?
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    I believe those are historical ties.

Navy/Army will schedule schools that are traditional foes. Navy played Georgia Southern twice. Not "every year." If I had to guess that may be related to the triple option.

My cousin is a West Point alum. He says they look at themselves very similar to ivy league schools and other elite east coast places. I'm guessing they have a lot of history with those schools.

They aren't coming to Fargo.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I assume the Navy GSU thing happened because of coach ties.. Didn't the GSU coach move on to Navy?
    Jeff Monken went to Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Jeff Monken went to Army.
    Paul Johnson, who led a renaissance of Georgia Southern football as their head coach in the late 90s and early 00s, went to Navy after the 2001 season. He's now the head coach at Georgia Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Paul Johnson, who led a renaissance of Georgia Southern football as their head coach in the late 90s and early 00s, went to Navy after the 2001 season. He's now the head coach at Georgia Tech.
    Thanks--- I didn't think back far enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Navy wouldn't. Their conference would not like it if they scheduled an FCS home and home. Army might though. They have in the past with Yale.
    Eh Yale =/= NDSU. A lot of reaching going on here. Yale and army first played football vs each other in 1893, and quite a few times since. Also Yale is academic royalty and army has it's place. NDSU is none of these things.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Actually it was a different HC. The other HC went to Georgia Tech. Navy has a pretty tough non-conf schedule normally, Notre Dame, Air Force, Army and one or two more...since they joined a conference. I think that is why they schedule some different games. This year they open in Hawaii for a non-conf, then come back to Memphis to open the conference...NDSU would not be a stretch. Probably the biggest think working against a game like this is the regional recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    Eh Yale =/= NDSU. A lot of reaching going on here. Yale and army first played football vs each other in 1893, and quite a few times since. Also Yale is academic royalty and army has it's place. NDSU is none of these things.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I think Bama is a much bigger reach...but you are right...however it seems like scheduling FBS opponents is getting tougher...so you might as well dream.