Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Northwestern players unionizing

Default Re: Northwestern players unionizing

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    SO I assume position and playing time will now be decided by seniority verses ability; Management i.e,the coach... will be restricted in what plays they can call; the union rep will have to weigh in on and approve the game plan, and the union members will experience minimal to no improvement, while the union management becomes more reach and powerful etc. Hell yeah, Sounds like a winning idea to me!
    Heh, that's the first thing I thought of, but the NFL is unionized and it still looks like real football to me.

Seriously I'm surprised it took this long for a college team to try this, or am I ignorant of history?

Anyways, I foresee a tangled mess of lawsuits in college athletics if this is gonna be the trend.

I am more kidding than anything ...inside joke... more of shot at the groups I work with.

NFL---its all about the $ and effert. What you going to control in college. Scholarships, number of games, playing time etc.... I see it being very bad for College football. Just as it was/is when grad, students did this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Heh, that's the first thing I thought of, but the NFL is unionized and it still looks like real football to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    I'd cut these guys immediately...They are students, not employees. If they don't want to follow the procedures in place, they can pick a different path. Pathetic.
    Yep This^^^^^^^^^^

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't see this ending well.

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I am more kidding than anything ...inside joke... more of shot at the groups I work with.

NFL---its all about the $ and effert. What you going to control in college. Scholarships, number of games, playing time etc.... I see it being very bad for College football. Just as it was/is when grad, students did this.
    Agree with this. While some good might potentially come of this effort, I don't envision an ending that collectively benefits college football.

Can't say it has been all good, at least from a fans point. 1982: A 57-day-long strike beginning after two games are played forces cancellation of seven weeks of the season and leads to a 16-team playoff tournament. The new CBA basically returns lost salary to the players for the games missed and upgrades benefits and health coverage. 1987: Perhaps the darkest year in NFL history. Union goes on strike after two games. Owners sign replacement players and, after missing one week, stage three games. During that time, dozens of veterans cross the picket lines and rejoin their teams, including such future Hall of Famers as Joe Montana, Lawrence Taylor, Steve Largent and Tony Dorsett. After 24 days, the fractured union votes to end the strike despite no new agreement. A 15-game season is played. On Dec 30, the NFLPA asks federal judge David Doty to overturn the league's rules restricting free agency. Also, I seem to remember the referees went on strike some years ago, resulting in hard feelings and questionable calls. (FYI, most of this was copied from an internet search)
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

I wonder how it would mesh with the NCAA. NCAA would not be bound by the union and would still control everything.

I'm gonna start a movement to unionize Bisonville. There's some days where the work conditions here are a total joke! I haven't received a raise from this place since I started working here. The benefits are non existent. One time I cut my finger and had to wear an Elmo bandaid. Have you ever tried to post anything intelligent while sporting a freaking Sesame Street bandaid? I mean, C'mon!! Besides the harrassment I received from fellow posters about the childish bandaid, my typing skills suffered. It was really difficult to use the semi-colon key....you know, the one you use for a winking smiley face. Maybe if there was a union around, I could have used some paid time off instead of suffering through an injury and doing a less than stellar job.
    Anyway, I think there are a couple fly-by-night attorneys on this board who could maybe do some checking on this issue.
    Gotta get back to work since I don't get a union-mandated 15 minute break. Pump it up!
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

sounds good for texas. #1 recruiting class yearly!