Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The guy in the cowboy hat----R.I.P.

Default The guy in the cowboy hat----R.I.P.

Some of you on here met the man who always wore a cowboy hat to football games at home or on the road. That man passed away earlier this evening. His love for Bison football was second to none. The passion he had for Bison football has been passed onto the next two generations in his family.

I have many memories, but the time I got to spend with him and Bison football over the years are the most cherished. The bond that Bison football helped forge with him cannot be overstated. Late in my high school years (late ‘80s) we started going to a few road games, then ramped it up when I got to college. Upon graduation and getting a real job, we started going to pretty much all the games, home and away. Every venue in the NCC was visited, as well as play-off games at Pitt State and NW Missouri State.

Moving to Division I back in 2004 provided some of the best road trips a father and son could imagine. During the transition years, we went to Ball State, Minnesota, Central Michigan, Georgia Southern, Cal Poly, Montana State, and Southern Utah. Once MVFC play began, we were able to attend games at UNI, ISU-blue, and Younstown State, as well as the FBS games at Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, and Colorado State.

After fighting off brain cancer in 2003, prostate cancer a few years later, and a heart problem just a couple of years ago, cancer struck him again. This last bout against bone cancer was too much to overcome. Diagnosed in late July of 2013, Bison football was not likely to be in the cards at all for him. Despite a fall that shattered his elbow and being stuck in a hospital for a month, he was able to go home.

One round of radiation treatments brought him a couple of pain-free months. The window was open to go to a couple of games at the end of the season and the first playoff game. Despite protests of using a wheelchair, he reluctantly agreed because he knew that was his ticket into watching his beloved Bison football team.

By the end of the playoff run at home, his condition began worsening, therefore extinguishing hopes of his third trip down to Frisco. Though not in Texas, he proudly watched in his own home the victory over Towson.

This past Sunday, another fall was a sign of continued regression. A hospital trip that began on Monday morning ended peacefully on Thursday evening. Draped in his Bison blanket on his bed, he took his last breaths.

For those of you who knew Jeff, the guy with the cowboy hat, please send up a prayer to his family and a thank you for his many years (1965 to 2014) of being a loyal Bison fan.

Bison football lost one of its most devoted fans......I lost my father.

Default Re: The guy in the cowboy hat----R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    Some of you on here met the man who always wore a cowboy hat to football games at home or on the road. That man passed away earlier this evening. His love for Bison football was second to none. The passion he had for Bison football has been passed onto the next two generations in his family.

I have many memories, but the time I got to spend with him and Bison football over the years are the most cherished. The bond that Bison football helped forge with him cannot be overstated. Late in my high school years (late ‘80s) we started going to a few road games, then ramped it up when I got to college. Upon graduation and getting a real job, we started going to pretty much all the games, home and away. Every venue in the NCC was visited, as well as play-off games at Pitt State and NW Missouri State.

Moving to Division I back in 2004 provided some of the best road trips a father and son could imagine. During the transition years, we went to Ball State, Minnesota, Central Michigan, Georgia Southern, Cal Poly, Montana State, and Southern Utah. Once MVFC play began, we were able to attend games at UNI, ISU-blue, and Younstown State, as well as the FBS games at Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, and Colorado State.

After fighting off brain cancer in 2003, prostate cancer a few years later, and a heart problem just a couple of years ago, cancer struck him again. This last bout against bone cancer was too much to overcome. Diagnosed in late July of 2013, Bison football was not likely to be in the cards at all for him. Despite a fall that shattered his elbow and being stuck in a hospital for a month, he was able to go home.

One round of radiation treatments brought him a couple of pain-free months. The window was open to go to a couple of games at the end of the season and the first playoff game. Despite protests of using a wheelchair, he reluctantly agreed because he knew that was his ticket into watching his beloved Bison football team.

By the end of the playoff run at home, his condition began worsening, therefore extinguishing hopes of his third trip down to Frisco. Though not in Texas, he proudly watched in his own home the victory over Towson.

This past Sunday, another fall was a sign of continued regression. A hospital trip that began on Monday morning ended peacefully on Thursday evening. Draped in his Bison blanket on his bed, he took his last breaths.

For those of you who knew Jeff, the guy with the cowboy hat, please send up a prayer to his family and a thank you for his many years (1965 to 2014) of being a loyal Bison fan.

May peace be with you and your family.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

It's great when Bison football brings families closer together. I have nothing but fond memories of my dad and NDSU. I am sure he was one of the first to welcome him to heaven with a cold beer.

Your in our thoughts and prayers.
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sounds like you did a great job sharing your Dads passion for Bison football with him. Something you can always be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post

That right there is the definition of Bison Pride. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Prayers to you and your family. Your Dad will always be with you at every Bison game!

Eric and Kyle, so sorry to hear about your loss. I enjoyed working with Jeff at the pasta plant and talking Bison football at break. He will be sadly missed. Our prayers are with you.

Bisonfan1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Draped in his Bison blanket really got me, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
    West Lot Champions - 2008 Bison Pride Award/2009 Best Set-Up & Fan Favorite/ 2010 Fan Favorite / 2011 Fan Favorite - TOHBTC

Sorry to hear about your Dad, BraxtonT.