Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Wolter commits to NDSU

Default Re: Matt Wolter commits to NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I had thought he was walk on at first, too, since he had academic issues.
    I forgot about the details of the academic stuff, I don't know the technical details of the academic issues so you could be correct.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by coloradobison View Post
    I forgot about the details of the academic stuff, I don't know the technical details of the academic issues so you could be correct.
    Marcus Williams was an academic non-qualifier, and therefore not on athletic scholarship his first year on campus in 2009-10. As a NQ, he was not allowed to practice with the team, but was allowed to work with the strength and conditioning staff. The plan was always to have him on scholarship as soon as he became academically eligible, so it would be a stretch to call him a walk-on. He officially joined the team for summer camp in August 2010 and he ended up being a starter (although he wasn't listed as such on the 2-deep that week) for the season opener at Kansas. The rest is history!
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Marcus Williams was an academic non-qualifier, and therefore not on athletic scholarship his first year on campus in 2009-10. As a NQ, he was not allowed to practice with the team, but was allowed to work with the strength and conditioning staff. The plan was always to have him on scholarship as soon as he became academically eligible, so it would be a stretch to call him a walk-on. He officially joined the team for summer camp in August 2010 and he ended up being a starter (although he wasn't listed as such on the 2-deep that week) for the season opener at Kansas. The rest is history!
    Thanks Kermit!

Maybe they were being diplomatic in saying he walked on. Either way. worked out ok.