Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: D2 schools looking at moving up

Default Re: D2 schools looking at moving up

MSU mankato? Good success in recent years similar sized school as us, succesful in nearly every sport on a national level... Not out of the question to see them going D-1 in all sports in the next 5-10 years.

Only downside is the fan base. I've been in mankato for many years now and no one give a Sh** about that team haha.. its quite sad really. Good facilites in all sports for the most part too. Would be simple to build onto, or renovate the football stadium as well

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    MSU mankato? Good success in recent years similar sized school as us, succesful in nearly every sport on a national level... Not out of the question to see them going D-1 in all sports in the next 5-10 years.

Only downside is the fan base. I've been in mankato for many years now and no one give a Sh** about that team haha.. its quite sad really. Good facilites in all sports for the most part too. Would be simple to build onto, or renovate the football stadium as well
    don't think mother UM would allow it, the goofs want to be the "big show" in MN
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Two.different university systems.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

they are the big show in minnesota.... sorry to inform you they are the show in minnesota for college athletics with near a 100 million in sports revenue

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The Ivy's participation in the playoffs would be a big boost to the FCS. Wont happen though. Can you believe their leadership actually believes academics are the number one priority and football is an extra curricular activity? Who are these old guys?

Yea. Piddly little Mankato will really show up the u of m. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    The Ivy schools are a frustrating bunch. They would be great for the playoffs, but the old men in charge of those schools just don't care. I think it's a bit early to judge the Texas schools, it's only year 1 in their transition. The Summit and MVFC hit a home run with the D2 school's they added. NDSU and SDSU have killed it, and USD and Omaha will have success, just not as early or as often. I wonder about Omaha sometimes though. If you have to cut your two best sports to go DI, you're doing it wrong. For the FBS move-uppers, I have a unrealistic but fun theory and it involves both the Missouri Valley and the MVFC, Wichita State football, and Omaha starting football again. The chances are near zero but who cares.

I'll add Pittsburg State and North Alabama as two schools who could bring something to the table. North Alabama wants to be DI, but can't find a conference. I think they'd fit in good in the SoCon, they'd be a good travel partner for Samford. Samford is in Birmingham and UNA is in Florence. UNA also has good attendance, near 10,000 which would put them near tops in the GSU/ASU-less SoCon. They'd have in state rivalries with Jacksonville State, Alabama State and Alabama A&M.

I haven't seen anything that Pitt State wants to move or can even afford it, but if they did they would fit best in a Summit/MVFC configuration. Perfect travel partner for ORU if Arkansas Little Rock doesn't happen. The eastern Summit and MVFC schools would likely whine of course. Pitt State could also fit into the Southland, but that conference is approaching Big Sky bloat levels. Pitt State also has good attendance, 10,000+ last year, and I bet if they replace whoever is in their D2 conference with Missouri State, UNI, NDSU, etc they could be 3 or 4 in attendance in the Valley. There are no FCS schools in Kansas, and Pitt State could also work in my mythical Grain Belt Conference.

Central Missouri-I don't know much about this school, but would fit the Summit/MVFC footprint.
    North Alabama has a D2 mindset... oh that's right you can't just move up whenever you want without a conference!
    Last edited by HerdBot; 01-13-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: meant North Alabama not Missouri

The only school in Minnesota that I see as being in a good position to move to DI is St. Thomas...They have the money and they would have the support.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    The Ivy's participation in the playoffs would be a big boost to the FCS. Wont happen though. Can you believe their leadership actually believes academics are the number one priority and football is an extra curricular activity? Who are these old guys?
    Then why do they compete in other atheletics playoff systems? ie basketball, lacrosse, hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Then why do they compete in other atheletics playoff systems? ie basketball, lacrosse, hockey?
    I believe their reasoning is that the Football playoffs occur during finals and they are emphasizing the "student" portion of their student/athletes. The other sports referenced playoffs do not interfere with finals.