Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Punt Coverage

Default Re: Punt Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Brown gave up 7 return yards on punt coverage or Brown accumulated 7 return yards on punt return?
    Brown gave up 7 return yds all season. 11 punts and 7 yds.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    That's a great stat! There must have been a fair number of touchbacks because the net average was 4.3 yards (43.7 vs 39.4) less than punt average. The Bison had a 13.3 yard average per punt return but their opponent average punt difference was also 3.4 yards (40.8 vs 36.5). We had a very different punt average and number of returns compared to our opponents, but the difference between our gross and net average is the same. The only thing that could cause that is the number of touchbacks.

21 yards of punt returns for the entire season is still incredible! Yes, Townsend had 1 return for 12 yards. Looking back at the box scores this is what I found:

SDSU - 1 for 0 yards
    UNI - 2 for 2 yards
    YSU - 1 for 5 yards
    Furman - 1 for 1 yard
    Coastal Car - 2 for 5 yards
    Towsend - 1 for 12 yards

This adds up to 25 yards (overall season stats has 8 for 21 yards) but still pretty awesome. In 11 regular season games we gave up 7 yards on 4 punts. In 4 playoff games we gave up 18 yards on 4 punts. Statistically that is a huge increase in a third of the games. I wonder what happened to cause such a huge drop off.
    GoBison stats show 8 returns for 21 yards on 52 punts, or a net return average of 0.4 yards per punt.

Teams clearly were gambling more to get something, anything during the playoffs lol.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Brown gave up 7 return yards on punt coverage or Brown accumulated 7 return yards on punt return?
    Quickly scanning their box scores, they gave up 7 punt return yards in 11 games. I guess we can always look to improve.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Was their net punt avg better than ours though?

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Quickly scanning their box scores, they gave up 7 punt return yards in 11 games. I guess we can always look to improve.
    Agreed. We suck. Fire special teams, save 4-peat.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    GoBison stats show 8 returns for 21 yards on 52 punts, or a net return average of 0.4 yards per punt.

Teams clearly were gambling more to get something, anything during the playoffs lol.
    I factored in the total punt yardage, calculated total net yardage (punts times net average), and subtracted return yards to determine the net difference that had to be due to touchbacks. If these numbers are correct, we had 10 touchbacks in 52 punts (19%). Our opponents only had 2 touchbacks in 101 attempts (2%). That rate of touchbacks probably is not great, but the ability to limit any yardage on punt returns is huge. A 39.4 NET average would put him #19 in the NFL. The overall average in the NFL is 39.8 and the average touchback rate is 7%.

Take away the touchbacks and his numbers would have been even more incredible. If it resulted in a touchback then it likely wouldn't have been returned had it been shorter. The overall average would be lower but unless the ball goes out of bounds or is fair caught outside the 20 the net average would still be better.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well I would say a couple of key items play a success in this number.

1. Punter with good hang time
    2. Speed & tackling ability of players covering
    3. FORMATION OF THE PUNT----the SHIELD punt formation is key to coverage

Take away the touchbacks and his numbers would have been even more incredible. If it resulted in a touchback then it likely wouldn't have been returned had it been shorter. The overall average would be lower but unless the ball goes out of bounds or is fair caught outside the 20 the net average would still be better.
    If you're evaluating the punter, though, you can't really take away the touchbacks though. Part of the punter's job is to not kick it in the end zone. It could be that we punted, on average, from better field position than our opponents which brought the touchback into play more frequently for Ben compared to our opponents. Ben had 25 inside the 20 out of 52 compared to opponents 26 in 101. That seems like an outstanding percentage and maybe some additional indirect evidence that field position was materially different for NDSU compared to opponents.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

That's a great stat! There must have been a fair number of touchbacks because the net average was 4.3 yards (43.7 vs 39.4) less than punt average. The Bison had a 13.3 yard average per punt return but their opponent average punt difference was also 3.4 yards (40.8 vs 36.5). We had a very different punt average and number of returns compared to our opponents, but the difference between our gross and net average is the same. The only thing that could cause that is the number of touchbacks.

21 yards of punt returns for the entire season is still incredible! Yes, Townsend had 1 return for 12 yards. Looking back at the box scores this is what I found:

SDSU - 1 for 0 yards
    UNI - 2 for 2 yards
    YSU - 1 for 5 yards
    Furman - 1 for 1 yard
    Coastal Car - 2 for 5 yards
    Towsend - 1 for 12 yards

This adds up to 25 yards (overall season stats has 8 for 21 yards) but still pretty awesome. In 11 regular season games we gave up 7 yards on 4 punts. In 4 playoff games we gave up 18 yards on 4 punts. Statistically that is a huge increase in a third of the games. I wonder what happened to cause such a huge drop off.
    There is no other way you can beat us, so I think in the playoffs there was a concerted effort in opponents return game to actually try to return punts. That Towson return would have been fair caught any other time this season by anyone else. At that moment, it worked and they got 12 yards. I know you were joking, but I had this feel in the playoffs that opponents were trying to make something happen that nobody was willing to try before. Either that, or the lack of familiarity with the Bison and how they were doing business all season butted heads. The MVFC just knows it is a futile effort. Either your returner is going to take a half a step and get smoked or just maybe the ball will bounce into the end zone. I also don't remember too many three and outs deep in our own territory.

All in all, amazing all season statistically. This team was dominating in every single facet of the game.

Ben's 10 touchbacks:

Opponent Quarter Clock Score Distance Position Net
    Delaware State 1st 12:08 0-0 9 38 18
    SDSU 1st 4:00 0-0 1 75 55
    SDSU 3rd 3:33 7-0 10 30 10
    UNI 3rd 1:16 10-23 14 46 26
    S Ill 1st 5:26 0-0 1 47 27
    S Ill 2nd 14:03 0-7 4 58 38
    S Ill 2nd 5:06 0-10 6 50 30
    Ind St 4th 7:53 56-10 1 45 25
    YSU 1st 13:36 0-0 8 45 25
    YSU 2nd 8:46 14-7 1 51 31

As few as 2 of these decisions to punt are defensible.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie