Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big Sky to FBS?

Default Re: Big Sky to FBS?

[QUOTE=bruinbison;822560]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    In a post-Big5 shakeup, I could see a big chunk of the Big Sky moving up to the new second level of DI football. But I think the MVFC(or some form of it) will be doing the exact same thing. But neither conference will move up in the existing format. We are a very long way from needing to freak out about it.

I posted last year on a Fullerton interview during a Big Sky televised FB game. That above is the essence of what he was saying. Essentially be prepared in case the Big 5 conferences do move up so you can be positioned to be in the 2nd level of football. Fullerton was also explaining that having a 16-team mega-confernence could be the way to go in terms of insuring your future (viability). It would also help with tv contracts, and particularly for the Big Sky, help them with recruiting in California in being the next tier of football below the PAC 10 (12?) (16?).
    Gene said that same thing 2 or 3 weeks ago during one of the pregame shows. We'll always be at the second level of football. Time to put this whole issue to rest until something comes down from the NCAA and then we know Gene Taylor will get it done.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

NDSU is blessed to have leaders at the helm. I trust them.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Flying from DFW to SLC on my way to SEA, I sat near the commissioner of the Big Sky Conference, Doug Fullerton. We chatted a bit about the game, about NDSU and EWU, and about the FCS.

At one point, he hinted that he has been looking into taking the Big Sky conference to the next level as a whole entity. He suggested that if not all schools were ready for the move up, the conference is large enough to split into two: One FBS, one FCS. He did not mention timing, and I didn't press.

This may not be news, but I don't recall ever hearing this. I wonder if the new FBS version of the Big Sky would consider inviting NDSU if it happened?
    Shouldn't his name be _oug Fullerton?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Shouldn't his name be _oug Fullerton?

this is worth consideration

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Fullerton is brain dead.

From the Schempf article in The Forum:

“Let’s see what the FBS does first,” Taylor said.
    Taylor makes the most honest statement from anyone. (Fullerton comes across as assuming FBS will be doing something.)

If there is a split in FBS (probably due to $2000 stipends to players) and the BCS conferences go into their own group, yes, I do believe the MVFC and the Big Sky would take some sort of action to align with what's left behind of FBS.