Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcus Williams Accepts Shrine Game Invite

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Marcus Williams Accepts Shrine Game Invite

The other night one of the Twin Cities TV stations(I believe channel 5) had a feature on Marcus saying he was going to do the Gopher pro day. I wonder how he did.

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Marcus did the Gophers Pro Day. From a pioneer press article

There were 10 Minnesota players from last season who worked out at Pro Day and three from previous seasons: Adam Weber, Troy Stoudermire and Traye Simmons. There were 22 players on hand from small area colleges, including Concordia-St. Paul defensive end Zach Moore, who was at the combine and did just position drills, and North Dakota State defensive back Marcus Williams, who played at Hopkins High School.

Moore is expected to be a late-round pick, and Williams anticipates he will go "at least fifth round.''

To help Williams make that a reality, he at least had Zimmer offering advice.

"Coach Zimmer is a great guy,'' Williams said. "He spoke to me and said a few words. He just expressed how he felt about me and what I need to work on. ... Basically, just keep working on your vertical (jump).''
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ts-hands-at-us

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...h-dakota-st-cb

Not sure if this had been posted before or not.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBoy View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...h-dakota-st-cb

Not sure if this had been posted before or not.
    Who exactly put together that scouting report? Were these pros and cons from an NFL scout? I agreed with much on it but they said that he has poor instinctiveness...uhmmmm what?

I'm sick and tired of hearing to old "hasn't played the top competition" argument. There are plenty of guys who get drafted in later rounds that play in lower level FBS conferences that aren't much better then the top fcs conferences. Scouts will base Marcus' ability on what they see on the field.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This report contradicts itself a number of times. Lots of "scouting speek".
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I thought that was a very accurate list of both pros and cons for Marcus. Seemed to contradict itself, but those were based on the situation. The safety switch and excelling in zone defense has been thrown around quite a bit and I think that's accurate also. It will be interesting to see what teams actually think of Marcus and to see when he gets drafted and where he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I'm sick and tired of hearing to old "hasn't played the top competition" argument. There are plenty of guys who get drafted in later rounds that play in lower level FBS conferences that aren't much better then the top fcs conferences. Scouts will base Marcus' ability on what they see on the field.
    And they say the same things about kids coming out of those lower level FBS schools

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Who exactly put together that scouting report? Were these pros and cons from an NFL scout? I agreed with much on it but they said that he has poor instinctiveness...uhmmmm what?
    He's not a scout, he's a "draft expert". Which doesn't mean a whole lot. You or I could call ourselves draft experts and post our "scouting reports" on a random blog. Usually, I look at the site it's coming from to get an idea of the credibility of the writer. NFL scout evaluations of players will never be posted publicly until years after these guys are drafted.

I think it was a solid scouting report though, I'm not sure Marcus translates into a NFL safety unless he can improve his tackling but I thought the guy was pretty fair with his critiques.

I wonder if he realizes that playing soft is sometimes intentional.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt