Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISU 1st Game 2014 - then 3 weeks of Nonconference open dates.......?

Default Re: ISU 1st Game 2014 - then 3 weeks of Nonconference open dates.......?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    no delaware st or ferris st or johns hopkins state of the blind go find another fbs and make some money
    This.......not so much for the money, but for the fact NDSU can beat FBS programs and has the talent to do so. My fear is that NDSU will have a tough time finding ANY nonconference opponent that will play them, FBS, FCS or DII.

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: ISU 1st Game 2014 - then 3 weeks of Nonconference open dates.......?

Another FBS team. They should have played 2 this year.

I'm almost never in favor of giving up a home game to go on the road. There is NO WAY Gene schedules two of our three non-conference games on the road two years in a row (we play at Montana in 2015). Not going to happen.

I think we can play 2 fbs schools a year but the real question is if we should. While we are very deep for a fcs program, I think a second fbs game would really wear on us. Those 22 extra scholarships will start to come in play more the second game. The last gopher game is one of the only times I have seen the Bison players look tired in the fourth quarter. Mwill found a second wind for everyone, but our guys did have their hands on their hips sucking wind. I think two in one season can beat a team down.

The other factor is if we lose two. Niu's season was over before it began when they lost two out of the chute. I don't think there are many fbs schools we would schedule that we can't be competitive with, but you do increase the odds of a lose by simply playing the next level up.

I think the formula works. You get your one big payday, tune up against fcs schools, and hit the conference schedule running. The ferris state game was an anomaly. That can't happen very often. I would prefer to step up then down if we have to.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

what's wrong with cupcakes when it counts towards playoffs and gives us more home games?
    The fella that watches the CFL

Herd 12, Thanks for your feedback and for all the others on this topic. I too think GT is the mastermind on how over the past 7 years the FBS Games have built up our confidence as a fan base and players as well. I have know doubt he will make get us a couple fair NonConf.games, but this program will reload with many coming back again so the let up will be short lived. Its been a great ride for the Bison and the Fans but this school has a "Chip on its Shoulder" as Bohl has always made that known, and that Chip will continue to scare any FBS team in the Midwest anytime in the future you must agree. Even if we split 2 big pay days with FBS appointments isn't a bad thing and keeps these young men humble and hungery with room for improvement. The past 2 years showed losing one game each year settles the egos and gets them back to working harder.
    I appreciate the comments all Bison Fans but overall I trust GT as Herd 12 has mentioned and the Herd will continue moving forward I have know doubts!
    Merry Christmas all and Go Bison in Frisco one more time!
    NoDak Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Herd12 View Post
    Greg, love the enthusiasm, but here's the deal: this program is going to have high expectations next season but also the most uncertainty since the '09 season. This is not the season that GT is going to be entertaining the idea of 2 FBS games. This team wants to go back to the playoffs and if they lose at Iowa State, they are going to need to find a way to win 8 other games. Scheduling another FBS program, especially when the athletic department is getting the equivalent of a guarantee game with a non BCS school ($100,000) from Wyoming for Coach Bohl's services, is not necessary. As far as I'm concerned? NDSU is about 3 TDs better than the rest of the FCS right now, so although it's going to be difficult to replace these 24 seniors, it's going to have to be a pretty serious regression for the Bison to miss the playoffs. GT might not see it that way and is going to be more conservative in his scheduling.

I agree with ya DePereBisonFan. I think our program is at the level now as a Mid contender in any Big Ten or Big 12 program barring injuries. Yes we don't have the scholarships but if you get the young men who believe in NDSU and embrace the Bison Tradition, they will show no fear who is across the line of scrimmage anytime as they are today. Yes injuries, and getting those talents recruits is still key in College Football.

Yes DPBisonFan your right on your scheduling idea.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It was in another thread, but I like the idea that some guy said about going on the road for the 12th game in order to have that return game in an upcoming 11 game season. 2014 would be @ Iowa State, hm Montana, hm cupcake, @ unknown team as part of home/home. So in 2015 we would have for non conf @Montana, home with the back end of the home/home, and that 3rd game should be a guarantee game in Fargo. If an FBS is scheduled for 2015, that means 5 home games and 6 road.

Northern Colorado, Southeast Missouri, Northern Arizona, Stephen F Austin, heck even Drake would be some potential home/home teams that Bison fans could travel to, have fair to good local alumni numbers, and/or are in traditional recruiting areas.

In 2008 or 09 I think Gene was working on getting an Ivy League team to Fargo. I wouldn't be opposed to a home/home with one of them either.

Thoughts on the possibility of playing a MAC team on a 2 for 1. Could we possibly make this happen?

I think your thoughts are credible and realistic JSU.
    However don't forget when we Roam we are Home, as the best FCS record for away games, our boys go to opposing stadiums and intimidate the opponent and play together so well its just fun to watch. Hopefully the underclassmen have learned and will continue that gamesmenship when walking into any opponents field. Not afraid of 6 away games if we have quality opponents.

Good discussion. I guess we just continue to trust GT and let him do what he does so well which is have great vision for the Bison program.
    Nodak Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    It was in another thread, but I like the idea that some guy said about going on the road for the 12th game in order to have that return game in an upcoming 11 game season. 2014 would be @ Iowa State, hm Montana, hm cupcake, @ unknown team as part of home/home. So in 2015 we would have for non conf @Montana, home with the back end of the home/home, and that 3rd game should be a guarantee game in Fargo. If an FBS is scheduled for 2015, that means 5 home games and 6 road.

Northern Colorado, Southeast Missouri, Northern Arizona, Stephen F Austin, heck even Drake would be some potential home/home teams that Bison fans could travel to, have fair to good local alumni numbers, and/or are in traditional recruiting areas.

In 2008 or 09 I think Gene was working on getting an Ivy League team to Fargo. I wouldn't be opposed to a home/home with one of them either.