Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight/hotel/car Tips to Frisco from a Travel Hacker

Default Flight/hotel/car Tips to Frisco from a Travel Hacker

1. Use the ITA flight matrix search engine to quickly, accurately, and robustly to search numerous airlines at once: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
    2. Book your flights Friday AM before all routes to Dallas spike due to NDSU winning. You have 24 hours, risk free, to cancel. (I think you see the logic; you get in before the rush for those not this smart with no risk!) If, God forbid NDSU loses, just call whoever you booked through and cancel within 24 hours for a full refund. Each airline is slightly different in how they do this; see http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...ange-policies/

As for airfare to either Dallas airport:
    1. Fargo looks expensive right now; cheapest I am seeing in depart Jan 3, return Jan 6 on United for $536.
    2. Grand Forks is over $600.
    3. Little bit cheaper out of Bismarck; I am seeing $485 on Frontier leaving Jan 3 return Jan. 6. (this fare does involve like an all day layover in Denver, over 12 hours, but it would actually be enough time to head into town if you wished)
    4. Minot is similar price to Fargo; have to come back on Jan 7 on Untied for $534.
    5. Minneapolis has by far the best fares. Believe it or not, Spirit you can get you there for $187 round trip Jan. 3 through 7. Just remember, they are like Allegiant and will charge you for everything and are famous for horrible customer service. best fare I see on a normal carrier is American for $390 for Jan. 3 through Jan 6.
    6. Sioux Falls is over $500 at this point, so don't see a reason to visit me unless you want a direct flight. Personally, I'd rather connect than drive that far.

Tips on paying for airfare:
    1. Make sure you use a credit card that give you at least 2X on your purchase. Best options are that airline's cobranded cards, Chase Sapphire Card, and Amex person Gold Membership rewards card (3X).
    2. There are techniques in booking your flight to pick up even more points; carefully read this post: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/maxi...ooking-travel/
    3. I will admit, this is one of the few time "flexible" points may be better than airline miles, however, you will need to use a bundle to book any of the prices above outside of the Spirit one. Best options would be Citi Thank you if you have a Premier card which are worth 1.25 cents each. You also can use Chase Ultimate Rewards this way (1.2 cents each if preferred card), just be careful it would not be better to transfer miles to a partner and book that way. (Like United or British airways)

Tips on paying for hotel:
    1. Make sure you use a credit card that give you at least 2X on your purchase. Best options are that hotels cobranded cards, Chase Sapphire Card, Chase Ink card. Hilton Surpass, for example, pays 12X.
    2. Check http://boardingarea.com/loyaltytraveler/ to see if you can get any bonus points on your stay.
    3. There are techniques in booking your hotel to pick up even more points; carefully read this post: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/maxi...ooking-travel/
    4. See if any hotels are still accepting points booking if you have enough, or you could use some other travel points you have most likely for 1 penny each; it may be worth it; just realize these may only be refundable for a fee, so hotel points bookings are better.

Tips on renal car
    1. I use to love autoslash.com, but site was gutted.
    2. Best luck I've had is hotwire or bidding on priceline. Also, if you log into your credit card site, I have found many stellar fares recently.
    3. Don't worry about the toll thing; the rental companies handle that for you and bill you later.

Others, fee free to add on.
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 12-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Default Re: Flight/hotel/car Tips to Frisco from a Travel Hacker

Just want to bump this up until tomorrow morning.

We'll be in contact. Was gonna book a flight today but will wait until morning. Dickinson and Bismarck are also airport options for me...

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    We'll be in contact. Was gonna book a flight today but will wait until morning. Dickinson and Bismarck are also airport options for me...
    I covered BIS above. Found a very creative fair out of Dickinson that you'd have to plug in a multi city routing to get; cost was good:

Dickinson (DIK) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Fri, Jan 3
    United Airlines, Inc. Dickinson (DIK) to Denver (DEN) - Fri, Jan 3
    United Airlines, Inc. 5908 Dep: 7:30AM Arr: 9:00AM 1h 30m Embraer ERJ-135/145 Economy (S)
    OPERATED BY EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS Layover in DEN 1h 16m

United Airlines, Inc. Denver (DEN) to Tulsa (TUL) - Fri, Jan 3
    United Airlines, Inc. 5617 Dep: 10:16AM Arr: 12:48PM 1h 32m Canadair RJ 700 Economy (S)
    OPERATED BY SKYWEST DBA UNITED EXPRESS Layover in TUL 1h 57m

American Airlines Inc. Tulsa (TUL) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Fri, Jan 3
    American Airlines Inc. 2287 Dep: 2:45PM Arr: 3:55PM 1h 10m Boeing 757 Economy (O)

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Dickinson (DIK) - Tue, Jan 7
    United Airlines, Inc. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Denver (DEN) - Tue, Jan 7
    United Airlines, Inc. 1602 Dep: 7:46AM Arr: 9:00AM 2h 14m Boeing 737 Economy (T)
    Layover in DEN 0h 47m

United Airlines, Inc. Denver (DEN) to Dickinson (DIK) - Tue, Jan 7
    United Airlines, Inc. 6130 Dep: 9:47AM Arr: 11:21AM 1h 34m Embraer ERJ-135/145 Economy (T)
    OPERATED BY EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS
    Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $477.20
    Total cost for 1 passenger $477.20

Actually getting this one to "work" on Expedia or Orbitz would be the trick!

I gotta say thanks. This whole topic reminded me of some United FF miles 25k I had expire and was kind of pissed about it. I called and they reinstated them! I was reallly miffed about that and didn't know it was possible.

Put Frisco Texas in the Nav, Load up there friends who never heardof NDSU until I moved to Va and drive for 18Hrs, $200 Round trip. Also we stop in Nashville to visit Coyote Ugly, guy needs a break somewhere!

Just spoke with a AA rep and they're telling me the 24hr cancellation rule no longer applies with them. Not since August of this year. Just thought I'd pass that along if anyone chooses AA lines as there flight down.

Quote Originally Posted by MplsThunderingHerdFan View Post
    Just spoke with a AA rep and they're telling me the 24hr cancellation rule no longer applies with them. Not since August of this year. Just thought I'd pass that along if anyone chooses AA lines as there flight down.
    You can hold the reservation for 24 hours on American.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/hold_...URL&title=hold

All airlines are mandated by the government to give you 24 hours to cancel after booking.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    You can hold the reservation for 24 hours on American.

All airlines are mandated by the government to give you 24 hours to cancel after booking.
    I'm probably a moron and doing it wrong. That or they're giving me the run around about this rule. The gal I spoke with said that no longer exists and said she could offer me refundable tickets at a higher price. What's the process for holding?

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MplsThunderingHerdFan View Post
    I'm probably a moron and doing it wrong. That or they're giving me the run around about this rule. The gal I spoke with said that no longer exists and said she could offer me refundable tickets at a higher price. What's the process for holding?
    Was her name Rev. Bob and was she requiring a tattoo as well?