Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS move fans. Here's a good read

Default Re: FBS move fans. Here's a good read

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Let's say the BCS broke off tomorrow and 2014 will have 3 levels of DI football. We're going to see an unprecedented conference shakeup. The left behind FBS schools are going to be pissed at the loss of revenue and perception of prestige from being top tier. The top schools will be begging to be accepted in the BCS, few if any will get in. Most if not all scholarship FCS conferences will want to be in the new mid-tier, someone(NCAA? ESPN?) will have to pick which make the cut. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 max move up to leave a functioning FCS. CAA, MVFC, SoCon go, dropping a few schools. Big Sky breaks in half. Now we have 5 oversized former FBS conferences, 4 undersized former FCS, and a few FCS independents. It's going to take awhile for that to sort out and nobody will be happy for years. We will find a home though.
    sounds like a good outline for a committee to hammer out

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The Orlando Sentinal and USA Today say that over half the athletic department budget is covered by student fees, almost $20 million dollars in 2012.

Taking $1.7 million out of student pockets to line those of a select few already rich guys on a noaccount bowl committee makes no sense to me.
    but you get to pretend like you're in the big time!

GOBISON123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by herdmember View Post
    I'd love to know what Bohl's take on the subject is/was?
    I agree, now that he has nothing to lose, he can talk about what he thinks about our goal of moving to FBS ?
    " Our strategy for winning against BISON was simple, we put our WRs and RBs in a 1 on 1 situation with their defense in the backfield.....everybody knows they have some freshman who cannot tackle in a 1 on 1 situation.....Joe Glen"

Quote Originally Posted by GOBISON123 View Post
    I agree, now that he has nothing to lose, he can talk about what he thinks about our goal of moving to FBS ?
    I would be shocked if he shared anything of substance publicly.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

GOBISON123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I would be shocked if he shared anything of substance publicly.
    " Our strategy for winning against BISON was simple, we put our WRs and RBs in a 1 on 1 situation with their defense in the backfield.....everybody knows they have some freshman who cannot tackle in a 1 on 1 situation.....Joe Glen"

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    while it looks like a lot on paper, they still make a shit ton of money during the regular season.
    Not unless we were in one of the BCS conferences, the mid or lower major conferences struggle to break even and quite a few lose money. Our stadium is a big issue, we would need to have at least a 30k stadium and fill it every week to get an offer to move up, otherwise we are one of if not the lowest attendance schools in the FBS.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This FBS talk is insane. Sorry we aren't traveling to the Beef O Brady bowl like we do to Frisco.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    Not unless we were in one of the BCS conferences, the mid or lower major conferences struggle to break even and quite a few lose money. Our stadium is a big issue, we would need to have at least a 30k stadium and fill it every week to get an offer to move up, otherwise we are one of if not the lowest attendance schools in the FBS.
    lakes has done studies and ran the numbers...NDSU in a down year would still have 20k+ fans. When NDSU is down, theres still potential of having a BCS school come to fargo for a game for a 2 for 1 contract.

that almost trumps anything FCS.

NDSU at its peak(we know what it is for FCS) but for FBS is unimaginable. NDSU would help any of the lower conferences out almost instantly for BCS relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    lakes has done studies and ran the numbers...NDSU in a down year would still have 20k+ fans. When NDSU is down, theres still potential of having a BCS school come to fargo for a game for a 2 for 1 contract.

that almost trumps anything FCS.

NDSU at its peak(we know what it is for FCS) but for FBS is unimaginable. NDSU would help any of the lower conferences out almost instantly for BCS relevance.

And we trust these statements why??
    Wasn't it just a few short years ago we were having trouble filling the dome, due to mediocre play? Everyone wants a bison tickets now but how many will stick around and donate when things hit a rough patch and miss playoffs for a year or two (unforeseen at the moment but is possible)?
    Again I love a move up when it is done sensibly and with financial wherewithal to support it, and that time has not arrived yet.

I trust Lakes research about as far as I can throw a truck. Guessing GT has way more actual experience and data to draw from than our favorite Bison boos... I mean supp... Fan. Love some of lakes enthusiasm but sometimes gets a bit extreme gold/yellow and green goggled.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I run into this question every time I start talking Bison football with any random football fan; almost immediately the convo turns to "The Jump." My counter is that NDSU has an awesome tradition and has been considered the best at every level they have played. At the same time, they have been considered the worst. I just dont feel NDSU has been considered the best at the D1 level long enough. These programs like App State and GSU have been really frickin good for a really frickin long time, at the D1 level. I understand NDSU is on the verge of something pretty special, but if you look back at the past winner of the National Championship there are MULTIPLE times when GSU shows up back to back...same as YSU. Those teams have been dominant in D1 and have now taken the next step.

If NDSU has a couple down years, with the option of playing in the playoffs eliminated, you wont be able to give away a sold out stadium. In 2009 there were attendance announcements of around 14000 but pry only 10000 in the stands. Although most FCS programs would drool over those numbers, they are absolutely not FBS worthy.

I love NDSU, and I love the fact that after all the knocking on the fact the ships' they have are from D2 there is dominance at the D1 level. However, it seems to me like making the move to conference with a bunch of irrelevant schools just isn't in the best interest of the program. Why not continue to dominate where we are? Why not establish a fan base that will still rock the dome when there is a down year? All of these things have to be taken into consideration if this move is going to be for real. You might say you will be tehre win or lose, but unfortunately that isnt the mindset of all those who say they are Bison fans. We have all seen that.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.