Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS move fans. Here's a good read

Default Re: FBS move fans. Here's a good read

[QUOTE=G_Funky;815613]I run into this question every time I start talking Bison football with any random football fan; almost immediately the convo turns to "The Jump." My counter is that NDSU has an awesome tradition and has been considered the best at every level they have played.

North Dakota State University has succeeded at EVERY SINGLE LEVEL. Why cannot they be successful at the next level, with success being defined as a top 20 team program? We are much more similar to Boise State than the dozens of programs that have failed moving up. And yes, Boise State is not even in a BCS conference.

[QUOTE=Strongman;815625]
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    I run into this question every time I start talking Bison football with any random football fan; almost immediately the convo turns to "The Jump." My counter is that NDSU has an awesome tradition and has been considered the best at every level they have played.

North Dakota State University has succeeded at EVERY SINGLE LEVEL. Why cannot they be successful at the next level, with success being defined as a top 20 team program? We are much more similar to Boise State than the dozens of programs that have failed moving up. And yes, Boise State is not even in a BCS conference.
    Nobody said they couldnt be successful. The point in question is RESOURCES to make such a move if an opening became available as we all know that you have to be invited to a conference to move up. Resources as in MONEY where is it going to come from? 2300 Team makers were responsible for approx 2.5-3 million dollars this last year. How much more do you think you can squeeze out of that group? And thats just for schollies.

Question for you--why do people like you keep asking the same questions when people keep giving you the answers to your questions. Do you think the answers are going to change if you keep asking the same question over and over again.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

After 4 postseason appearances NDSU is 10th all-time in number of playoff wins and first in playoff win percentage. It's great what they've done in such a short time but when you watch the rest of the FCS playoffs on ESPN3.com and see 4,000 fans in the stands you really gotta wonder. NDSU's attendance in the quarterfinals was more than the other 3 games combined. I really see us at a spot where we are in between right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Because NDSU and its supporters don't view being a top 20 team a success. The only way to prove you're the best is to win a national championship and that won't happen at the next level, mainly because we can't even afford to get in the next level let alone pay to be at the top of that level.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=56BISON73;815630]
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post

Nobody said they couldnt be successful. The point in question is RESOURCES to make such a move if an opening became available as we all know that you have to be invited to a conference to move up. Resources as in MONEY where is it going to come from? 2300 Team makers were responsible for approx 2.5-3 million dollars this last year. How much more do you think you can squeeze out of that group? And thats just for schollies.

Question for you--why do people like you keep asking the same questions when people keep giving you the answers to your questions. Do you think the answers are going to change if you keep asking the same question over and over again.
    Unfortunately there are blinders on many Bison fans who think just bc the university announces an invite to an FBS conference or announces the decision to move up, magically another 10 mil is going to show up in GT's office...just because the Bison have been dominant for a couple years, there HAS to be people willing to shell out their life's savings in the name of being considered FBS.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Funding is no doubt the key item here, but where do many of the other football powers get their funding? Lincoln, NE, Norman, OK, Tuscaloosa, AL, Iowa City, IA, Clemson, SC. etc,etc,etc. Seem to be ideal college football cities with no competition form pro sports. Seems like Fargo is similar to many of these areas.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I would guess our attendance numbers are around the same as most MAC/MWC teams and better than those going through bad years. Ball State was drawing 20-25k this year I believe but in their bad years they probably only get 5-10k/game. Any non-BCS conference would love to have a school and program like NDSU. The biggest issue for them is location. It would likely need to be a joint thing with one or more of the other Dakota schools. Success at one level is not a requirement for moving up. It's more about who you view as peer institutions.

The best thing for the Bison is to let this Big 5 conference thing shake out. GT is connected enough he's probably in tune with what is happening and knows how best to position NDSU. Enjoy the ride and let them take care of the hard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bisondad View Post
    Funding is no doubt the key item here, but where do many of the other football powers get their funding? Lincoln, NE, Norman, OK, Tuscaloosa, AL, Iowa City, IA, Clemson, SC. etc,etc,etc. Seem to be ideal college football cities with no competition form pro sports. Seems like Fargo is similar to many of these areas.
    HUGE fans bases. Huge donations and endowments. One of Iowas alums owns Kum and Go just for an example. Then you have TV revenue.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well the TV revenue comes with moving up to a conference with a nice contract. But the tough part about that is there aren't enough households in ND for NDSU to be real attractive to a would be suitor. Add in that ND isn't really a hot bed of high school football talent, and its expensive to travel here. Ugh, is it so much to ask for what Boise St. has?!

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Because NDSU and its supporters don't view being a top 20 team a success. The only way to prove you're the best is to win a national championship and that won't happen at the next level, mainly because we can't even afford to get in the next level let alone pay to be at the top of that level.

I disagree with that sentiment. Most progressive fans would rather be the #12 or #18 best team in the country than the national champion of small time college football. Under your rationale, the SEC and eight
    select other teams should form their own league because nobody else can win a national championship.