Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big 5, the Mountain West, and NDSU

Default Re: The Big 5, the Mountain West, and NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Im not sure Hawaii is a great example, Ive always wondered why Hawaii doesn't play all its games at home. What a great destination for schools to travel (non-conference). NDSU should look into that one. Play early in the year with a cup cake at home on the backside. Not a bad recruiting tool either.
    I once heard about 5 years ago that teams going to Hawaii typically lose their next game in more than something like 90% of the cases. At that time people felt it would be a curse for NDSU to go to Hawaii depending on the end of season record.

I assume the Mountain West views adding NDSU about the same as the MVC looking at adding northwest Missouri state. both powerhouses in their division of football.
    Last edited by thunderingherd; 12-22-2017 at 02:55 PM.

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Mountain West would probably want NDSU over Hawaii in the long run. There is no way it will happen with the stadium we have right now.
    The fella that watches the CFL

I think UNI played Hawaii a couple years ago. I remember them talking about the travel week. Sounded brutal. I have also heard that Hawaii at times will travel to the continental US for a game and stay the week for another away game. Then they would travel back to Hawaii. Not sure how true that is. Sounds like a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by devin45k View Post
    Mountain West would probably want NDSU over Hawaii in the long run. There is no way it will happen with the stadium we have right now.
    And it won't happen when the time comes when we have trouble filling even 3/4 of the stadium, if that. This championship run isn't going to last forever, and I remember going to games as a kid in the early 2000's. Lots of empty seats. What would be the point in building a 40k capacity stadium and then when we have a 3-8 year or whatever, we can barely fill 20k in the stadium? I'm more then fine at where were at now instead of playing for some worthless bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by devin45k View Post
    And it won't happen when the time comes when we have trouble filling even 3/4 of the stadium, if that. This championship run isn't going to last forever, and I remember going to games as a kid in the early 2000's. Lots of empty seats. What would be the point in building a 40k capacity stadium and then when we have a 3-8 year or whatever, we can barely fill 20k in the stadium? I'm more then fine at where were at now instead of playing for some worthless bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hansen View Post
    I think UNI played Hawaii a couple years ago. I remember them talking about the travel week. Sounded brutal. I have also heard that Hawaii at times will travel to the continental US for a game and stay the week for another away game. Then they would travel back to Hawaii. Not sure how true that is. Sounds like a nightmare.
    Seems like staying on the mainland would be the smart approach. Eagles stayed on West coast when they had consecutive Pacific time zone games a few weeks ago. I recall the 49ers doing so for eastern time zone games in the past as well.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

[QUOTE=#1BISONFAN ASHLEY;1254483]And it won't happen when the time comes when we have trouble filling even 3/4 of the stadium, if that. This championship run isn't going to last forever, and I remember going to games as a kid in the early 2000's. Lots of empty seats. What would be the point in building a 40k capacity stadium and then when we have a 3-8 year or whatever, we can barely fill 20k in the stadium? I'm more then fine at where were at now instead of playing for some worthless bowl game. QUOTE]

Other than a disastrous coaching hire when Klieman leaves, IMO, there is nothing to support this doomsday prediction. The FCS is a collection of schools that are generally more interested in the sport of basketball. NDSU is a football first school that offers FCOA as a major incentive. There are very few schools in the FCS that emphasize football the way NDSU does. With Ga. Southern, Appalachian State, Old Dominion, etc... leaving, the only saving grace in staying in this division is the MVFC provides great, competitive games.

Quote Originally Posted by #1BISONFAN ASHLEY View Post

Other than a disastrous coaching hire when Klieman leaves, IMO, there is nothing to support this doomsday prediction. The FCS is a collection of schools that are generally more interested in the sport of basketball. NDSU is a football first school that offers FCOA as a major incentive. There are very few schools in the FCS that emphasize football the way NDSU does. With Ga. Southern, Appalachian State, Old Dominion, etc... leaving, the only saving grace in staying in this division is the MVFC provides great, competitive games.[/QUOTE]

We don't "have trouble filling 3/4 of the stadium which would equal only 14,025 people. That is not the issue. we FLIP OUT when we only fill 91% of the stadium like we did for Wofford with 17,000 people (and that is exclusively on the students not general fans). I don't know what the overall demand is for tix, but when your entire regular season sells out in 7 minutes for nearly a decade in a row- you officially have more demand then supply so your point on "barely filling 3/4 of the stadium" is a gross exaggeration. I don't think 40k would be appropriate but we could more than likely use 25-30 fairly well

I would be SHOCKED if we were to become irrelevant in the FM area. We have such an advantage amongst our peers at our level that we will be top1-5 teams for a good, good chunk of time. People need to stop pretending that we're on the brink of irrelevancy in the FCS.

Not saying we should jump to FBS but to say that we just don't have the demand for more tickets/seats, and feign that our fan base has "recency bias" as far as their passion is concerned.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NDSU could have been in the Idaho Harvest Potato Bowl on the blue field playing Coach Bohl and the Cowboys today....., but's stuck playing for another National Championship in Frisco instead. No 1,800 mile drive to TX. And season over today. More time for recruiting.

Wonder how tailgating is at the Harvest Potato Bowl. Traditions!
    Last edited by VirginiaBison; 12-23-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!