Thread: SELA Placed on NCAA Probation

Default SELA Placed on NCAA Probation

HAMMOND, La. — The NCAA is penalizing Southeastern Louisiana, saying the university exhibited a lack of institutional control during a five-year period in which 137 student-athletes were allowed to compete in sports while academically ineligible.

The penalties, announced Tuesday by the NCAA's Division I Committee on Infractions, include scholarship reductions in football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, men's and women's track and field, men's golf, softball, soccer and volleyball.

The athletic department will be on probation for four years, has been fined a $25,000, must submit to an external audit of its compliance system and vacate victories and records from the 2005-06 academic year through 2009-10, when ineligible athletes competed.

The ruling comes as the Lions' football team prepares to host a quarterfinal FCS playoff game on Saturday.
    http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/v...NCAA-probation

Default Re: SELA Placed on NCAA Probation

Somebody's getting fired. 137 athletes?

BRING BACK SNORTY

Were they even good? Seems weird to violate and still suck lol
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Were they even good? Seems weird to violate and still suck lol
    see also, Gophers, Minnesota; Hurricanes, Miami.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    see also, Gophers, Minnesota; Hurricanes, Miami.
    Yeah but the Gophers at least made it to the Final Four...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Reading between the lines, this isn't as bad as it looks. Several years back, the NCAA tightened up its graduation progress rules. To remain eligible, there is a scale you have to follow. Without referring to the manual, it's something like 40% complete with your major by the start of your 3rd year, 60% by the start of your 4th, and 80% by the start of your 5th. It's a nice program in theory, but it has one gaping hole: What happens if you change your major? By the time you are midway through your second year, you are locked into your major. There is no way to achieve the 40% mark by the start of the third year unless the new major is only a slight change of emphasis. It sounds like the NCAA compliance guy didn't understand the implications and allowed student-athletes to change majors when they shouldn't have. And the guy is long gone.