Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perspectives from a Bison fan in Wyoming....

Default Re: Perspectives from a Bison fan in Wyoming....

Quote Originally Posted by 79FCourt View Post
    Wyo, you make some good points and I'm also an NDSU grad and huge bison fan. I also live in Wyo an am a Cowboy Joe Member and season ticket holder. In my opinion this is only about money. Wyoming doesn't have the funding to compete consistently for MW championships. Although they have more resources than NDSU, they are middle of the pack at best compared to their peers. Recruiting to Laramie is a bitch. And what if you do have a good season and finish top two or three in the conference? You get invited to the New Mexico bowl or something like that. Big F'ing deal. Playoffs > New Mexico bowl. Wyo isn't going to the Big 12. War Memorial is too small and they can't fill it anyway. Wyo brings no TV revenue to the game. There is nothing about this that makes sense other than the paycheck. I'm sure I would do the same thing in CB's position, but lets not sell this as anything but a pay increase. NDSU has better fans, better support, better booster club, better tradition, etc, etc, etc.
    If NDSU was playing as poorly as WYO I think you would see less support than WYO enjoys now. We only have to look as far back as the Babich era and see no tailgating, a half full Fargodome with snoozing fans and an apathetic community. Wyoming seems to always back the Pokes no matter how crappy they are.

If NDSU happens to hit the skids, it may be tough to hold the incredible atmosphere and support level that has developed. Bison fans are much more used to winning than WYO fans.

Thanks wyobison for the perspective. I can understand the move for money but the location is a little perplexing to me. I figured Bohl would leave at some point. And when he moved on, I guess I was hoping it would be to somewhere like Boise. Maybe that is out of reach for Bohl at this time, I don't know. The one thing I just can't understand is the timing. Do we not really know who Bohl is? Is he really this classless? Or did he have a better scenario planned for his move that got trumped by leaked info? Maybe we will never know for sure, but I do wish I was sitting at a table with you discussing this over a scotch on the rocks.

So what will you "its only about money" fans feel if Bohl strips NDSU of 1, 2 or 3 of our best football assistant coaches and several of the current recruits to go along with him to Wyoming? This would set the Bison back quite a ways in the FCS world. It was going to be a challenge next year to do near as well with all the Seniors in the program. I am disappointed about the way Bohl left in the middle of the playoffs, but I will be pissed if he takes a chunk of what was built at NDSU with him.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    So what will you "its only about money" fans feel if Bohl strips NDSU of 1, 2 or 3 of our best football assistant coaches and several of the current recruits to go along with him to Wyoming? This would set the Bison back quite a ways in the FCS world. It was going to be a challenge next year to do near as well with all the Seniors in the program. I am disappointed about the way Bohl left in the middle of the playoffs, but I will be pissed if he takes a chunk of what was built at NDSU with him.
    When WYO took Bohl, I am almost positive they are getting "Bohl and Company". Those assistants are key to his success. And, I suspect they will continue to recruit those areas familiar to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    How many Head Coaches has Wyoming fired in the last 20 years? Have any WY coaches been able to get a better Head Coaching position somewhere else?

I understand the money aspect and I do believe Bohl now feels he has to take a job like this to get Big10 or Big12 job, however this move seems like a bad career choice.
    What he said. I fully expected Bohl to leave sometime soon, and I fully understand the money issue. But, Wyoming? What makes him think he can do better than the last 20 coaches who have been fired there for losing seasons? Stepping stone to a BCS conference? Good luck with that. He will get fired after 5 losing seasons, just like all the others who came before him. He better take as much money as he can at Wyoming, because his career will be over in 5 years or less.

It's all about money. Why bother trying to compare facilities or FCS to FBS. Any one of us would take a job making 5x what we make now. Coach isn't a spring chicken, you never know, maybe he is thinking retirement paycheck.

"Didn't I show you things you've never done before..."
    https://youtu.be/t3JJb9cjGOk

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by loudsilverado View Post
    It's all about money. Why bother trying to compare facilities or FCS to FBS. Any one of us would take a job making 5x what we make now. Coach isn't a spring chicken, you never know, maybe he is thinking retirement paycheck.
    It's always talked about that college sports is a business. How many of us work for a family owned business? What do the owners constantly say to the employees? You are family, we are here for you. What happens when the competitor down the street offers the "family ownership" big bucks to sell? They sell. And what about the employees? Well they are saying the exact same things we are today. This is the real world and its driven by money, ego, power, attention.

He is getting more money, bigger stage, with the opportunity for more attention. If Wyoming wins, he gets it all, if Wyoming loses, well he has a wonderfully rich retirement for him. Straight business 101, cold and heartless, it is what it is.

In all sincerity, good luck. Thank you for the 11 years. You built a program here, would expect you do the same there.

This is a shocker, but not a surprise. Making 4 or 5 times more $$ would lure most people away from their job. The announcement would have been better after the Championship game.

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

His pay will average more per year than Jerry Kill, and he will be closer to Nebraska than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    What a n

Stepping stone.....
    Clearly Bohl is driven by cash and moving up. WYO offers a very visible place to continue the move up. If Bohl and Company can rehab this mess of a program at WYO, he will be a much hotter commodity that he was at NDSU. And, WYO has everything needed to compete (lots of money) and just needs a decent coach and staff. I think there is no question that this was a driver for Bohl in the decision process.

I think this is his retirement job. If he is successful it will take 3-5 years most likely 5. That puts him at 60 or 61. If not successful he gets early retirement.