Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winterizing Peyton Manning? Coach Bohl Has Some Ideas...

Default Winterizing Peyton Manning? Coach Bohl Has Some Ideas...

Interesting article from the Denver...

What makes Bohl’s Bison so tough?

It certainly doesn’t hurt that they live in Fargo, N.D. With an average winter temperature of 16.8 degrees, it’s the fourth-coldest city in the U.S. — a place where nose hairs freeze in a single breath.

Is it because the Bison stick to the running game in an effort to neutralize those nasty elements? Nope. Why? Because in 1992, someone at NDSU had the good sense to open the Fargodome, an indoor stadium that shields the Bison’s home games from those elements. In their dome, sweet dome, the Bison pass quite often, and quite well. Their quarterback, Brock Jensen, is the fourth-rated passer in the FCS.

But Bohl knows that his team’s road to the FCS championship isn’t shaded by a dome. It goes through bitter-cold, including outdoor stadiums like those in the Bison’s Missouri Valley Conference.

And that’s why Bohl’s Bison rarely hold practices in their dome.

“When I was a young coach, I heard Woody Hayes say, ‘If you’re going to fight in the North Atlantic, you have to train in the North Atlantic,’” Bohl said, quoting the former Ohio State University legend. “It’s one of the truest things I’ve ever heard.”
    http://kdvr.com/2013/11/26/winterizi...ve-some-ideas/

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Coach Bohl's Advice for Winterizing Peyton Manning

The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Coach Bohl's Advice for Winterizing Peyton Manning

Doh, duplicate, please delete moderators. Too slow in posting.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Default Re: Winterizing Peyton Manning? Coach Bohl Has Some Ideas...

That article really takes me back to the week before the MT State game...their fans were convinced the elements were in their favor because we were a dome team and we kicked their ass in the fourth quarter. That game is still one of my favorite Bison games of all time.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 11-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Interesting article from the Denver...

http://kdvr.com/2013/11/26/winterizi...ve-some-ideas/
    I love that article, just goes to show how coach Bohl is always thinking one step ahead on most other coaches. I have no doubt that practices in the coldest weather possible helps with conditioning as well as keeping in touch with other teams that have outdoor stadiums for away games. I found out last year for the first time spending an entire year in ND just how hard it is to breath just shoveling show for an hour(did that one time before I went right to the John Deer dealership to buy a big honking snow blower). But those winter workouts outside have to help with cardio for sure I would think, and that has to make us better for inside games.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    I love that article, just goes to show how coach Bohl is always thinking one step ahead on most other coaches. I have no doubt that practices in the coldest weather possible helps with conditioning as well as keeping in touch with other teams that have outdoor stadiums for away games. I found out last year for the first time spending an entire year in ND just how hard it is to breath just shoveling show for an hour(did that one time before I went right to the John Deer dealership to buy a big honking snow blower). But those winter workouts outside have to help with cardio for sure I would think, and that has to make us better for inside games.
    And on the flip side our training camp is in extreme heat and humidity. But I still think its silly to practice outdoors when the road to Frisco will be played on the turf indoors. That's why we need an indoor practice facility to use when the dome is being used. But the regular season practicing outdoors pays off at places like Brookings, SIU, and all of our road games. Heck Montana State in 2010 must have felt like a warm game to our players

Makes me think of Rocky 4

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    And on the flip side our training camp is in extreme heat and humidity. But I still think its silly to practice outdoors when the road to Frisco will be played on the turf indoors. That's why we need an indoor practice facility to use when the dome is being used. But the regular season practicing outdoors pays off at places like Brookings, SIU, and all of our road games. Heck Montana State in 2010 must have felt like a warm game to our players

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I trust that Coach Bohl knows what he's doing.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post

If you practice outdoors in the cold and move indoors your legs will be more lively and play faster. Just like practicing on grass and then going to turf.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    That article really takes me back to the week before the MT State game...their fans were convinced the elements were in their favor because we were a dome team and we kicked their ass in the fourth quarter. That game is still one of my favorite Bison games of all time.
    Yeah and the weather in Bozeman was nice compared to what they were practicing in too...pretty funny.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My two favorite teams...what more could I ask for?

(Imagine my disappointment when Joe Mays was let go)