Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pathways to Student Success

Default Re: Pathways to Student Success

It would hurt athletics. Some of these bubble players couldn't get in and stories like John Crockett and Marcus Williams will never happen. Crockett by the way is deans list now!

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by NFH Schlüssel View Post
    Germany has never considered that a child could be a late bloomer either. My son had to repeat 2nd grade after coming from the States because he couldn´t write cursive with a fountain pen! He is now in 4th grade where he will be placed, bz the teacher, into the secondary school level for the rest of is schooling... either lower school for the gas station attendants, middle level for the trades /office workers or gymnasium for the college bound.

It aint right!
    I agree with you it ain't right but the teachers and students shouldn't have to put up with one student who is only trying to disrupt.

I have one child who was very shy, some of the teachers thought she was behind. She will have her masters at 21 and is doing far better than the teachers ever thought.

Another kid of mine worked extremely hard for all a's, some of the high school teachers seemed to be on a mission to trip her up and sure didn't help her.

Another one of mine didn't give a shit about grades and the teachers loved her to death.

Quote Originally Posted by NFH Schlüssel View Post
    Germany has never considered that a child could be a late bloomer either. My son had to repeat 2nd grade after coming from the States because he couldn´t write cursive with a fountain pen! He is now in 4th grade where he will be placed, bz the teacher, into the secondary school level for the rest of is schooling... either lower school for the gas station attendants, middle level for the trades /office workers or gymnasium for the college bound.

It aint right!
    What does gymnasium for college bound mean? You mean college bound because they are obviously athletes?

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Ndsu84 View Post
    What does gymnasium for college bound mean? You mean college bound because they are obviously athletes?
    Gymnasium is the word/name for the highest difficulty of high school in Germany.
    Hail Hydra.

I have a question as I read this..... And people are speaking about their children and school..... I have noticed a trend amongst people I know that they complain about the teacher if their child struggles or gets in trouble ..... I did just ok in high school .... However whatever happened at school and punishment my parents put on me .... Is that how times have changed? Could that be part of the pussification of America cas speaks of?

The vast majority of the teachers do the best they can with the hand dealt to them. I don't envy the job trying to teach a vast array of kids from those that don't speak a lot of English up to those who study and work on things constantly. There are quite a few times it falls back on the parents. Heck for the first time in her school career my daughter missed 2 spelling words on the same test last week. Her and I talked about it this morning. Things were quite busy last week for me and I didn't once practice her spelling words with her or put them on her Ipad app so it was easier for her to study and she kind of blew it off also as she always got thing right. Well we discussed this morning how complacency can come back to bite you and how success takes work and can't be relied upon just happening by both of us. She got it. Now the poor teachers that are trying to teach the kids that have parents that never take the time to work with their children and just expect to have it done for them by the teacher has to make their life really tough. My daughters may not end up being the smartest people in the world but we will take responsibility and help them become the best they can be and not rely on the teachers to do it but work WITH the teachers to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    The vast majority of the teachers do the best they can with the hand dealt to them. I don't envy the job trying to teach a vast array of kids from those that don't speak a lot of English up to those who study and work on things constantly. There are quite a few times it falls back on the parents. Heck for the first time in her school career my daughter missed 2 spelling words on the same test last week. Her and I talked about it this morning. Things were quite busy last week for me and I didn't once practice her spelling words with her or put them on her Ipad app so it was easier for her to study and she kind of blew it off also as she always got thing right. Well we discussed this morning how complacency can come back to bite you and how success takes work and can't be relied upon just happening by both of us. She got it. Now the poor teachers that are trying to teach the kids that have parents that never take the time to work with their children and just expect to have it done for them by the teacher has to make their life really tough. My daughters may not end up being the smartest people in the world but we will take responsibility and help them become the best they can be and not rely on the teachers to do it but work WITH the teachers to do it.
    Well said!

I was complaining once to my folks that our school isn't what it was when I was a kid. I thought my kids chem teacher was terrible. My dad just said they are your kids, if you want them to be successful you have to commit to helping them. The teachers do their best for all the kids but they really only teach your kid for minutes in a day.

The biggest thing you can do for your kid is to show interest in their studies and spend time on it with them.

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Great post!

And unbison, I am with you. Guaranteed if my kids come home complaining about the treatment from a teacher/coach, my first questions for my kids will be "What did you do" and "What are you going to do to fix it?" If I have to have a conference with a teacher/coach, the first thing I will say is "I am sorry for RTO Jr.'s behavior/choices. How can we help?"
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    We are making that decision now. leaning towards Oak Grove. Anyone have any thoughts insight etc.
    I sent my oldest their from 4t grade thru 7th. Good school.