Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pathways to Student Success

Default Re: Pathways to Student Success

What do you think about Kahn academy?

The way we teach in k-12 needs change, especially in small schools. We have teachers who think the kids should stay at the same level, so they give the same lecture to kids who might be 5 grade levels apart.

The programs available will allow each kid to learn at their pace and excel in their best subjects or slow down in their worst.

I went to a program like that k-3 grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndsu84 View Post
    What do you think about Kahn academy?

The way we teach in k-12 needs change, especially in small schools. We have teachers who think the kids should stay at the same level, so they give the same lecture to kids who might be 5 grade levels apart.

The programs available will allow each kid to learn at their pace and excel in their best subjects or slow down in their worst.

Sent our kids to private school in Fargo, when 47% of the kids in our hometown school were reading below grade level. You were put in the class you needed to be in. AP classes were available also. Didn't drive a new car or take a vacation but it was worth it.

We are making that decision now. leaning towards Oak Grove. Anyone have any thoughts insight etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Sent our kids to private school in Fargo, when 47% of the kids in our hometown school were reading below grade level. You were put in the class you needed to be in. AP classes were available also. Didn't drive a new car or take a vacation but it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    We are making that decision now. leaning towards Oak Grove. Anyone have any thoughts insight etc.
    Sent two there. I'm still on corporation board there.
    Stop by the tailgate lot sometime and I'll tell you about it.

We need to fix these publics ASAP. Kids should be tested for each subject and sent to the level they are at.

I've heard in Germany if a kid isn't taking school seriously they are put in a more appropriate school for lower achievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndsu84 View Post

I've heard in Germany if a kid isn't taking school seriously they are put in a more appropriate school for lower achievers.
    Germany has never considered that a child could be a late bloomer either. My son had to repeat 2nd grade after coming from the States because he couldn´t write cursive with a fountain pen! He is now in 4th grade where he will be placed, bz the teacher, into the secondary school level for the rest of is schooling... either lower school for the gas station attendants, middle level for the trades /office workers or gymnasium for the college bound.

It aint right!
    "You're either green and growing or ripe and dying." - Craig Bohl

the math classes in my daughter's Second grade class were split this year. It has been a very good thing as she was boredwith the basic stuff they were teaching and was helping Teach other kids

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    the math classes in my daughter's Second grade class were split this year. It has been a very good thing as she was boredwith the basic stuff they were teaching and was helping Teach other kids
    I wish my schools would have done this. I was stuck teaching other kids as well and it didn't do anything to help prepare me down the road. I was really interested in math at that age, but my limited exposure to more difficult math caused me to lose interest and now I hate (yes, hate) any math that has letters in it.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    That's what we ran into. I had more than one teacher tell us our daughter was assigned to helping the slower kids because the teacher couldn't do it all. When was she supposed to progress or be challenged?

We have a math teacher everyone says is the best. Yet when the kids take their placement tests or act sat....everyone does terrible.