Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bracket time

Default Bracket time

Here are the rules for selecting and positioning!!!! Get Familiar!!!!

From Doms Twitter link

http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101

Default Re: Bracket time

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Here are the rules for selecting and positioning!!!! Get Familiar!!!!

From Doms Twitter link

http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101
    Thanks! Lots of good information in there. They will use the SRS this year and the finals standings will be made public on 11/24. Also, the mileage threshold for ground travel in the 1st round remains at 400 miles meaning that all FCS teams except for SDSU, USD, and UND (you can laugh at that if you want to) are outside of bus range for NDSU. The magical D1 win threshold goes from 7 to 6. Looks like even though D2 teams will factor into SRS they "may" give more consideration to teams playing full D1 schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Get Familiar!!!!
    Bison are gonna ROLL .... ROLL!!!!

Sorry, the two phrases are forever linked in my mind.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

I'm not sure the SRS exists. They were supposed to publish it beginning sometime in October but I've never seen anything. I thought I heard Kolpack say it wasn't ready last week.

Also, they don't appear to understand the meaning of the word 'independent'. I think the word they're looking for is 'interdependent'.

"The teams’ ratings are independent in that one team’s rating depends on its opponents’ ratings, which depend on their opponents’ ratings, etc., based on the “network” of college football games played each week during the football season."

Assuming the SRS exists it's criteria are SOS, W-L, game location (home, road, or neutral), and the division of your opponent (I-A, I-AA, or II). No margin. So look at the BCS BS from Sagarin, I guess. There aren't any DII teams in there though. Maybe someone else on here knows which of the other models incorporate DII if any?

400 miles is the bus trip limit but the site still talks about not playing a conference mate in round 2 if it's the first game for both teams. That's no longer relevant. It makes me wonder if the 400 is still correct. I thought there was some chatter on here about 450? Edit: pointed out above that they did update the # of wins 'criteria' to 6 from 7 so that gives some confidence that maybe the 400 is correct, though I still don't know why the 2nd round conference opponent stuff remains in there.

You can't polish a turd.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I'm not sure the SRS exists. They were supposed to publish it beginning sometime in October but I've never seen anything. I thought I heard Kolpack say it wasn't ready last week.

Also, they don't appear to understand the meaning of the word 'independent'. I think the word they're looking for is 'interdependent'.

"The teams’ ratings are independent in that one team’s rating depends on its opponents’ ratings, which depend on their opponents’ ratings, etc., based on the “network” of college football games played each week during the football season."

Assuming the SRS exists it's criteria are SOS, W-L, game location (home, road, or neutral), and the division of your opponent (I-A, I-AA, or II). No margin. So look at the BCS BS from Sagarin, I guess. There aren't any DII teams in there though. Maybe someone else on here knows which of the other models incorporate DII if any?

400 miles is the bus trip limit but the site still talks about not playing a conference mate in round 2 if it's the first game for both teams. That's no longer relevant. It makes me wonder if the 400 is still correct. I thought there was some chatter on here about 450?

You can't polish a turd.
    Could this send the bracket into mass chaos if there happened to be a forfeit in round 1, so that first round team never played a game???

EDIT: yes, I know, it says no adjustments will be made to the bracket

Quote Originally Posted by gotts View Post
    Could this send the bracket into mass chaos if there happened to be a forfeit in round 1, so that first round team never played a game???

EDIT: yes, I know, it says no adjustments will be made to the bracket
    Fortunately, Grambling isn't going to make the tournament.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

400 miles is the bus trip limit but the site still talks about not playing a conference mate in round 2 if it's the first game for both teams. That's no longer relevant. It makes me wonder if the 400 is still correct. I thought there was some chatter on here about 450? Edit: pointed out above that they did update the # of wins 'criteria' to 6 from 7 so that gives some confidence that maybe the 400 is correct, though I still don't know why the 2nd round conference opponent stuff remains in there.

You can't polish a turd.
    I would guess they're embarrassed to release the SRS and are still tweaking it. Which makes it disappointing to me that they're not going to release until after the selections are made because they can just tweak it to fit their picks then. I had also heard the rumor that the mileage threshold had been bumped to 450 but I'd have to think they would've updated that here if it was the case. While the "no conference opponents in the 2nd round if it's both teams 1st game" doesn't apply anymore it is accurate. But who knows, this is the NCAA we're talking about. They may end up confused and put UND as the #1 overall seed when they release the bracket.

You can't polish a turd.
    Agreed. The sections above that say:

"The NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) is a ranking system used to gauge team quality. Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).

"A team’s SOS measure is simply the average NCAA SRS rating of that team’s opponents for the season."

So they use the SOS along with WL to calculate the SRS, but then they use the SRS to calculate SO? Am I missing something or isn't this circular reasoning (or a chicken and egg problem. Whichever you prefer) and therefore not possible?

I guess they could start by calculating SRS using only WL, and then use that incomplete SRS to calculate the SO, and then keep going around like that until it converges on the true SRS, but I'm not positive that would work. Anyone have any insight on this?

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gotts View Post
    Do you mean forfeit because they could not afford to make the trip to a game site?

On a similiar note, it appears game site selection is heavily weighted on $$ to be guaranteed by the potential host site. Is it possible for a team to "buy" out of having to play at the Fargo Dome and make the Bison travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
    Agreed. The sections above that say:

"The NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) is a ranking system used to gauge team quality. Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).

"A team’s SOS measure is simply the average NCAA SRS rating of that team’s opponents for the season."

So they use the SOS along with WL to calculate the SRS, but then they use the SRS to calculate SO? Am I missing something or isn't this circular reasoning (or a chicken and egg problem. Whichever you prefer) and therefore not possible?

I guess they could start by calculating SRS using only WL, and then use that incomplete SRS to calculate the SO, and then keep going around like that until it converges on the true SRS, but I'm not positive that would work. Anyone have any insight on this?
    SRS ? SO? what you talking about
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."