Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Miller and Broadcast Team

Default Scott Miller and Broadcast Team

After listening to the Montana State broadcast on Saturday in their loss to SUU and the end of the Youngstown/UNI game a week ago, it has given me a new appreciation for the talents of our broadcast team. Scott/Phil/Jeremy do an unbelievable job calling the game and further separates us from our peers at this level.

The Youngstown broadcasters reminded me of listening to Hawk Harrelson when the Whitesox are losing. Questioning coaches, ripping players, their agony in loss was unbearable (and hilarious to me).

The Montana State broadcasters couldn't correctly identify down and distance, ball placement (on the opening kickoff, one of their announcers said the ball was brought back to the "60-yard line") and was correcting himself after nearly every play. They barely knew the numbers of their own players let alone what the names were of the SUU athletes. Brutal in every sense of the word.

Plus, did anyone hear Scotty reference who our new spotter was at the game in Youngstown, Art Vandelay! Well played Mr. Miller, well played.

Default Re: Scott Miller and Broadcast Team

Shhhhh... It's another one of those hidden secrets I don't want the rest of the world knowing. Scott Miller is a high quality sports broadcaster and I would like to keep listening to him for as long as possible.

Scotty Miller is an absolutely first class broadcaster. I'd take him over PA any day and I'm even a Vikings fan. I think the most impressive thing about Scotty is that he is just as good at calling Bison basketball and Redhawks baseball games. Just a tremendously talented guy and an invaluable asset for Radio Fargo-Moorhead.

jimmyptubas is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What's his story? does he have a bio online or anything because i'm curious where he came from. He not a ND native is he?

The youngstown state TV guy is good. We concluded at our watch party that he's a cross between Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I personally enjoyed the YSU tv broadcasters. Compared to what we normally get, the play by play guy was full of energy. Still...Scotty>YSU guy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyptubas View Post
    The youngstown state TV guy is good. We concluded at our watch party that he's a cross between Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan
    That's a perfect description of their announcer.

My biggest complaint was the lack of TV cameras (besides faulty transmission). Shots of same 4 Bison fans every 5 minutes, Never had head ref. facing the camera when he explained calls. I would have liked to have seen a full shot of visitor stands instead of half empty Youngstown stands.

YSU TV guys were great, I definitely think they must be hockey announcers, they were fair and sounded very enthusiastic.
    My only problem of Scott Miller is that he will not announce the score or time enough during any game he announces. So I can't listen to him, I feel blind and he is suppose to be my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyptubas View Post
    What's his story? does he have a bio online or anything because i'm curious where he came from. He not a ND native is he?

He was in Grand Forks prior to 1996. I worked for an independent baseball team in the Prairie League, the Grand Forks Varmints and he was set to be our PBP guy on KNOX, I believe. We had to scramble when he got the job in Fargo and got Jim Bohlman. Folded after 2 years so he definitely went for the greener pasture.

Scott is a Minot guy, and I think his Dad recently passed away. ?
    He broadcast for Eastern Washington, somewhere out there if not them.
    Brother is a bigwig in the Navy.
    And yes I caught the "Art Vandelay!" Loved that!

jimmyptubas is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What's the deal with the Art Vandalay line? Is he a big seinfeld guy or are they just goofing around out there?