Thread: Offensive & Defensive Scheme's

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Offensive & Defensive Scheme's

Scheme- An orderly combination of related parts.

Football is the ultimate team sport. Every player on the roster plays an important role within the team. No one player is bigger or more important than any other player within the team. NDSU is the ultimate team right now and this is one of the many reasons I love being a fan of the Bison.

Something I think that a lot of people maybe don't fully understand about football, or about the Bison specifically, is that there is a reason and explanation for everything we see during the course of a game and season. I'm not trying to come across sounding like I know everything about football because I don't, but maybe I can explain something from my perspective. When NDSU, and that includes the entire program, looks at a schedule for an upcoming year, they go to work in the spring preparing for the teams they will face in the upcoming season. They begin conditioning, studying film, running plays over and over again, and figuring out depth. Summer workouts take place, and my understanding is that a lot of the team stays in Fargo for these. Fall practice begins and they start to prepare for an upcoming opponent. They study their tendencies, their weaknesses, their strengths. They begin to scheme both offensively and defensively for their first opponent. They play their first game and we win. And after the game, several people on here say that "So and so had a great game!!", "I wish they would use him more", "Nice to see Vigen finally using so and so, I've been saying all along how good he is". That's fine, and people can be excited about it, but if you step back and look at the big picture you'd see something. When the Bison prepare for each opponent, they know ahead of time what will give the team the best opportunity to be successful. Take for example the YSU game. Does anyone wonder why all of a sudden Bonnet has a big game, and Vaadeland as well? Listen to the post game interviews and Kevin says they had a scheme in place where they knew the TE's in the flat would be open all day. Colton Heagle has the game of his career against GSU two years ago, shutting down that QB in the playoff game, surprised? No, Kleiman knew that Colton would be an integral part in stopping the option that day. Brock and Vraa go nuts against MSU in the first half of that game because we knew they were susceptible to the long ball. Grant makes 27 tackles in a game. Did he just decide to maybe play harder that day, even harder than any other game he'd played? Nope, schemed. Players still have to go out and make plays, but they are given every opportunity to be successful because of all the preparation beforehand. And that's why I love it when they get interviewed after the game and they give credit to the team and the coaches, because that's what it's all about.

Not really a rant, but I just see a lot of the same old comments from people about this subject and I tried to break it all down a bit.

Go Bison!!!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Offensive & Defensive Scheme's

where is the like bottum

Agreed it isn't by accident/luck that they have won all these games. They play well together and nobody is requesting to be a prima donna player. Also would say most of these kids are coachable players which means they are willing to do what coaches ask them to do, and to learn from that.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

It helps when the team works together. It shows. The YSU game showed that the TE's are also a threat when needed. Each player does their job well and they are a good team off the field.

That is why you hear the players often say that they just have to take care of their own business and trust that their teammates will take of their business. If that occurs and you have a goo d scheme you often win.

Quote Originally Posted by A1pigskin View Post
    It helps when the team works together. It shows. The YSU game showed that the TE's are also a threat when needed. Each player does their job well and they are a good team off the field.

I very much agree with all of this, but there are players that have the ability to be game changes----some of Brock's non-designed runs are a good example. In addition, you do have individual effort which also accounts for a lot. Once the Scheme yields all it can, it comes down to a players effort A good example are the yards our backs get after initial contact. But again, Yes, it all starts with the Scheme----Good Post!

Quote Originally Posted by 10>1 View Post

Football is the ultimate team sport. Every player on the roster plays an important role within the team. No one player is bigger or more important than any other player within the team. NDSU is the ultimate team right now and this is one of the many reasons I love being a fan of the Bison.

Something I think that a lot of people maybe don't fully understand about football, or about the Bison specifically, is that there is a reason and explanation for everything we see during the course of a game and season. I'm not trying to come across sounding like I know everything about football because I don't, but maybe I can explain something from my perspective. When NDSU, and that includes the entire program, looks at a schedule for an upcoming year, they go to work in the spring preparing for the teams they will face in the upcoming season. They begin conditioning, studying film, running plays over and over again, and figuring out depth. Summer workouts take place, and my understanding is that a lot of the team stays in Fargo for these. Fall practice begins and they start to prepare for an upcoming opponent. They study their tendencies, their weaknesses, their strengths. They begin to scheme both offensively and defensively for their first opponent. They play their first game and we win. And after the game, several people on here say that "So and so had a great game!!", "I wish they would use him more", "Nice to see Vigen finally using so and so, I've been saying all along how good he is". That's fine, and people can be excited about it, but if you step back and look at the big picture you'd see something. When the Bison prepare for each opponent, they know ahead of time what will give the team the best opportunity to be successful. Take for example the YSU game. Does anyone wonder why all of a sudden Bonnet has a big game, and Vaadeland as well? Listen to the post game interviews and Kevin says they had a scheme in place where they knew the TE's in the flat would be open all day. Colton Heagle has the game of his career against GSU two years ago, shutting down that QB in the playoff game, surprised? No, Kleiman knew that Colton would be an integral part in stopping the option that day. Brock and Vraa go nuts against MSU in the first half of that game because we knew they were susceptible to the long ball. Grant makes 27 tackles in a game. Did he just decide to maybe play harder that day, even harder than any other game he'd played? Nope, schemed. Players still have to go out and make plays, but they are given every opportunity to be successful because of all the preparation beforehand. And that's why I love it when they get interviewed after the game and they give credit to the team and the coaches, because that's what it's all about.

Not really a rant, but I just see a lot of the same old comments from people about this subject and I tried to break it all down a bit.

Go Bison!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 10>1 View Post

Go Bison!!!
    Pretty much spot on except for studying film of there future opponents in the spring. They will look at film of there own practices to show where players can improve etc. Future opponent think is way down the line until they get the team up to snuff.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Pretty much spot on except for studying film of there future opponents in the spring. They will look at film of there own practices to show where players can improve etc. Future opponent think is way down the line until they get the team up to snuff.
    True. There are some other things missed and or a bit overstated. I'll post some thoughts when on computer. One obvious one is that EVERY team/coaching staffs from DII up does pretty much the same thing, with the possibly or likely exception being UN_/Muss & crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks for the input CAS & PL. With both of you being former players, I welcome any insight or correction into what I posted. I guess the overall point of my post was to point out to people why certain players have better than average games occasionally. Everything is by design and certain schemes call for certain guys to step up and perform. I also agree with the previous poster and the game changer comments, and YAC, and making something out of nothing type plays (Brock scramble, WR's coming back for the ball, etc.). Individual effort to me is also an indicator of great character and great coaching. Go Bison!!!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1