Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Bison football

Default State of Bison football

As we are looking ahead to the Indiana State game this Saturday I am wondering what is the state of Bison football? I know that we are 4-3, however we have had some good luck (fortune) in 2 of our 4 wins (Kansas and Youngstown State). The reality IS we could be an unacceptable 2-6. When I moved here and got into Bison football, a pal of mine told me of "Bison Pride". I was impressed to say the least. When I found out that we were moving to the MVC (Gateway Conference at the time) I was very excited. The move seemed to follow the mind-set of "Bison Pride" of wanting to compete against the best competition that the FCS could give us. However since NDSU has moved to the MVC the intensity the Bison played with during their transition period seemed lost. I was still okay, but a little disapointed with the '08 Bison team. But I felt that the biggest reason the '08 team was not a National Championship contender is that the team had to adjust to the much tougher MVC as opposed to the easier Great West conference. However, last year I started to doubt whether Craig Bohl and his ablilty to lead the team. Several players had off the field issues before the '09 season, and it seemed that the team almost played the entire '09 season disinterested in whether or not they won or lost. The '09 team IMO did not show any "Bison Pride" during the season, and it seemed like coach Bohl was MIA when the team needed Bohl to be the leader of the team. This year started off better than I expected, I know that NDSU's offense did not play well against Kansas, but the defense stepped up and played with attitude I hadn't seen since '07. But after that game NDSU's effort has been up and down. The Bison did a great job against their non conference teams on the schedule (3-0), but once the Bison played MVC opponents they looked scared, undisciplined, and lost (going 1-3). I don't want to "hate" on the Bison but I now feel that the Bison are "scared" of other MVC teams (even though the are about as experienced as every other MVC team). Is this just that the Bison are young? I wouldn't think so because that would mean that UNI and ISU-Red would have played as scared as we did against them. I am starting to feel the problem on the team must be the coaching staff. I mean from Craig Bohl on down the line it seems like the coaching staff is too hands off with this team because they feel that it is the PLAYERS responsibility to lead the team. That would be good if NDSU still had Steve Walker or Joe Mays, but both those guys no longer don the Green and Gold every Saturday for the Bison. I feel that for this team to be better and take a positive step forward this year coach Bohl and his staff needs to step up and lead this team. If these players are hungry for success like I think they are they will respond very favorably to the tougher practices and having more demanded out of every one. That is how I see where we are right now. I just hope to see the Bison improve and beat Indiana State and play like champions even if they are underdogs. At the very least I want to see this team go down fighting every single game, not give each game away.

Default Re: State of Bison football

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan11 View Post
    As we are looking ahead to the Indiana State game this Saturday I am wondering what is the state of Bison football? I know that we are 4-3, however we have had some good luck (fortune) in 2 of our 4 wins (Kansas and Youngstown State). The reality IS we could be an unacceptable 2-6. When I moved here and got into Bison football, a pal of mine told me of "Bison Pride". I was impressed to say the least. When I found out that we were moving to the MVC (Gateway Conference at the time) I was very excited. The move seemed to follow the mind-set of "Bison Pride" of wanting to compete against the best competition that the FCS could give us. However since NDSU has moved to the MVC the intensity the Bison played with during their transition period seemed lost. I was still okay, but a little disapointed with the '08 Bison team. But I felt that the biggest reason the '08 team was not a National Championship contender is that the team had to adjust to the much tougher MVC as opposed to the easier Great West conference. However, last year I started to doubt whether Craig Bohl and his ablilty to lead the team. Several players had off the field issues before the '09 season, and it seemed that the team almost played the entire '09 season disinterested in whether or not they won or lost. The '09 team IMO did not show any "Bison Pride" during the season, and it seemed like coach Bohl was MIA when the team needed Bohl to be the leader of the team. This year started off better than I expected, I know that NDSU's offense did not play well against Kansas, but the defense stepped up and played with attitude I hadn't seen since '07. But after that game NDSU's effort has been up and down. The Bison did a great job against their non conference teams on the schedule (3-0), but once the Bison played MVC opponents they looked scared, undisciplined, and lost (going 1-3). I don't want to "hate" on the Bison but I now feel that the Bison are "scared" of other MVC teams (even though the are about as experienced as every other MVC team). Is this just that the Bison are young? I wouldn't think so because that would mean that UNI and ISU-Red would have played as scared as we did against them. I am starting to feel the problem on the team must be the coaching staff. I mean from Craig Bohl on down the line it seems like the coaching staff is too hands off with this team because they feel that it is the PLAYERS responsibility to lead the team. That would be good if NDSU still had Steve Walker or Joe Mays, but both those guys no longer don the Green and Gold every Saturday for the Bison. I feel that for this team to be better and take a positive step forward this year coach Bohl and his staff needs to step up and lead this team. If these players are hungry for success like I think they are they will respond very favorably to the tougher practices and having more demanded out of every one. That is how I see where we are right now. I just hope to see the Bison improve and beat Indiana State and play like champions even if they are underdogs. At the very least I want to see this team go down fighting every single game, not give each game away.
    How do you know that the coaches think its the players sole responsibility to lead the team?

What makes you think that the coaches havent tried to step up and lead?

Just asking.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan11 View Post
    I think we played with great pride early in the year. Its our depth that's killing us.? When you replace a starter and have 2 play more than 1 freshman, mistakes are going to be made that give up big plays. When you have young coordinators they are going to make mistakes. Right now we have a freshman corner, a freshman Dt, and 2 freshman ends paying too many snaps. We have a juco linebacker playing with a broken thumb who is relatively new in the system. . This is why we need to develop and retain more players so we don't have to count on freshman and Jucos. Think back to when we had Marsch, Humber, and Mays. We had experienced players like Matt Anderson and Kittleson coming off the bench. Now we have freshman. Heck last year we used DJ. Its the result of a few poor recruiting classes. Next year should be better or work ten times harder.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

State of Bison FB??

Time to get the job done.....period.

jarhead is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I didn't know where to tack this but thought it was interesting. Shows how quickly a program can slide and how murky the
    reasons can be. Hope some of you enjoy it.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/2...to-the-Gators-

This is what a true fair weather fan would say. You don't have clue. Bison pride ,is this what bisonville is all about? Just look at this guy bison11 last 20 post. What kind pride is this? It's all about bashing the coaches and the kids. Bison pride,i guest it's a ndsu thing. Me being from Texas, I just don't understand bison pride.
    After the kansas game bisonville was on top of the world. Look at it now. These coaches and kids have been working their ass off.

I don't know ol ball coach, but he has a great point. Some people on this board have lost it. The negative crap posted everyday just gets old

Bohl started out with a OT loss in 2003 at UND IMO. Kind of carried over from there. Time to go.

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Ol' Ball Coach View Post
    This is what a true fair weather fan would say. You don't have clue. Bison pride ,is this what bisonville is all about? Just look at this guy bison11 last 20 post. What kind pride is this? It's all about bashing the coaches and the kids. Bison pride,i guest it's a ndsu thing. Me being from Texas, I just don't understand bison pride.
    After the kansas game bisonville was on top of the world. Look at it now. These coaches and kids have been working their ass off.
    Best post of the year!! I too am tired of the negativity. I have been a Bison fan for only about a year and this is not what I thought a Bison fan is.
    Maybe I should not read Bisonville.

Quote Originally Posted by mgbison View Post
    I don't know ol ball coach, but he has a great point. Some people on this board have lost it. The negative crap posted everyday just gets old
    Sorry a-hole the team just sucks and that is due to lack of good coaching. Its so obvious. Prove me wrong but I doubt it!