Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early signees

Default early signees

Any news or speculation on early signees?

Default Re: early signees

The only name I saw mentioned by the StarTrib & St Paul Pioneer-Press was Joey Vacinek of Forest Lake,MN.
    No articles were included, but I'm guessing he is a pitcher.

if you scroll through bisonation on twitter I rerweeted a couple. Drew Fearing i believe is one name

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The lack of local talent on the roster is alarming. You would think they would take a chance on some local kids, give them a year or two to develop, then let them excel on the field. Its disappointing to see FM area kids go to other schools and do extremely well.

sent from your mom's phone

Local kids with the talent and academic ability to play in a D1 baseball program. Is there anyone who played D1 at school other than NDSU? In recent years Kingsley, Larson and Ernst, all at NDSU. Ernst is still playing, Kingsley one of the best careers as a pitcher in Bison history and Larson who battled thru arm injuries is the story of what could have been. Andy Young is one that comes to mind that might have slipped away.

Bison Baseball Adds Alexandria LHP Blake Stockert to Recruiting Class
    http://www.gobison.com/news/2013/11/...125130806.aspx

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JJones View Post
    Local kids with the talent and academic ability to play in a D1 baseball program. Is there anyone who played D1 at school other than NDSU? In recent years Kingsley, Larson and Ernst, all at NDSU. Ernst is still playing, Kingsley one of the best careers as a pitcher in Bison history and Larson who battled thru arm injuries is the story of what could have been. Andy Young is one that comes to mind that might have slipped away.
    Casey Quinlan (Neo Sho CC) and Aaron Green (North Iowa CC) from Fargo, Andy Young (Jamestown then Neo Sho CC) Matt Strahm (Neo Sho CC, verballed to Nebraska then drafted) and Spencer Flaten (Jamestown) from West Fargo, Ellery Bresnahan (UND) from Casselton, Dylan Deavy (MSCTC then Jamestown) from Moorhead. Could've even dipped into Grand Forks a little more and gone after guys like Taylor Steen (Indiana State), Zach Mahoney (Mayville), but hey, we got Danny Palmiscino who was an average hitter in North Dakota high school baseball.

I can understand bringing in Omaha and Twin Cities kids, that's where the largest talent pools for us are, but you have to have a better presence from not just the metro area, but the state of North Dakota and the Minnesota side of the Red River Valley.

2005 had 6 ND kids, 4 from Moorhead/Fergus Falls
    2006 had 5 ND kids, 4 from Moorhead/Detroit Lakes
    2007 had 3 ND kids, 3 from Moorhead
    2008 had 8 ND kids, 3 from Moorhead
    2009 had 10 ND kids, 1 from Moorhead
    2010 had 8 ND kids, 1 from Wheaton
    2011 had 6 ND kids, 1 from Wheaton
    2012 had 8 ND kids, 1 from Fergus falls
    2013 had 7 ND kid, 1 from Fergus Falls
    2014 has 4 ND kids, 0 kids from Minnesota side of the Red River Valley
    2015 no incoming ND kids, 1 from Alexandria

looks like we've gone away from taking some chances on the area/in state kids.

jeffdaryl3rd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A simple response to your post suggests itself to me: many of the players you listed went to community/junior colleges & NAIA schools. Since they didn't sign with another D-I school it seems possible that they were not good enough to warrant an offer to play Division I baseball at NDSU. No disrespect to the players of course, playing college baseball at any level is an accomplishment. It is also possible that after two years of development at their respective JC's they could end up playing at NDSU anyhow. There is a strong argument to be made for taking chances on local kids, but the coach also has a job to keep and an obligation to the players currently on the roster to bring in the best talent possible to help them win games. I would also add that the team has been doing pretty well lately with the talent they have been bringing in, so hard to question the recruiting tactics.

I also think that your numbers show a pretty consistent commitment to signing area talent. There has certainly been a dip in the number of "local" kids coming in the last two years, but with a thin and scattered talent base in the area it seems reasonable to expect some variation in the number of signings year to year. I also think that not counting Twin Cities kids as being "from the area" is a bit of a mistake, and probably skews your numbers a bit.

I am all for signing as much local talent as possible, but I am also big on winning and the current coaching staff has done a great job of bringing NDSU up to respectability at the D-I level, so I am disinclined to grade them harshly on the specifics of their recruiting classes.

It will be interesting to see if any of the ND kids come here after a year or two at the juco level. There was a number of ND kids on this roster who are no longer here for one reason or another. The lack of ND kids is not due to lack of effort from the coaching staff.