Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head injuries in football

Default Re: Head injuries in football

Didn't some players used to wear foam covers on the outside of their helmets once in a while? I seem to recall someone from the Dallas Cowboys who did that.

Why not just make helmets with a big layer of foam or nerf-type material to provide cushion which would reduce G-forces on the brain when someone's helmet gets hit?

Edit. I found one example of the outside foam layer.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671752/...ncussion-proof
    It's OK to not be OK.

Ohio State used to have a wide foam-rubber strip down the middle many years ago. But that was the days of the old suspension helmets so it couldnt have been very effective.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There was an excellent article in The New Yorker a couple of years ago that went into football helmets. I wish I could find it. Here's what I remember.

Recent research has shown that most concussions in football result from rotary motion of the head, not straight-on or sideways linear impacts as has always been assumed. All helmets are designed to meet test standards developed in the 80's that assume linear motion. No manufacturer wants anything to do with updating the test standards (and hence their designs) to support the new research, because that would be an admission that their products are faulty. Today, they can say, "not our fault, they're certified". Somehow, that vicious circle needs to be broken so that players can have more effective helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeMothers View Post
    There was an excellent article in The New Yorker a couple of years ago that went into football helmets. I wish I could find it. Here's what I remember.

Recent research has shown that most concussions in football result from rotary motion of the head, not straight-on or sideways linear impacts as has always been assumed. All helmets are designed to meet test standards developed in the 80's that assume linear motion. No manufacturer wants anything to do with updating the test standards (and hence their designs) to support the new research, because that would be an admission that their products are faulty. Today, they can say, "not our fault, they're certified". Somehow, that vicious circle needs to be broken so that players can have more effective helmets.
    Forgive me for paraphrasing, but I believe you're saying to go back to leather helmets.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Didn't some players used to wear foam covers on the outside of their helmets once in a while? I seem to recall someone from the Dallas Cowboys who did that.

Why not just make helmets with a big layer of foam or nerf-type material to provide cushion which would reduce G-forces on the brain when someone's helmet gets hit?

Edit. I found one example of the outside foam layer.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671752/...ncussion-proof
    I think it was a Bills player who also wore one similar....maybe Steve Tasker?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Trim is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    I think it was Don Beebe. Then again, my concussed head doesn't always remember things too good.
    "I'll whoop your ass boy!" -Ron Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Forgive me for paraphrasing, but I believe you're saying to go back to leather helmets.
    There's something to be said for that. No purple font. I personally like watching the strategy and the plays unfold, and couldn't care less about hearing hard hits. "Better" equipment frequently just results in an arms race that gives everyone a false sense of security about injuries. Helmets just made the hits harder.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    More like, "It's a conspiracy"

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Don Beebe.

Looked like Gazoo from the Flintstones.

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    I think it was Don Beebe. Then again, my concussed head doesn't always remember things too good.
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Don Beebe.

Looked like Gazoo from the Flintstones.

Yup....at least my head injury didn't prevent me from getting the team right.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013