Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: When They Were Kings

Default Re: When They Were Kings

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Some how I don't think the NCAA would be appposed of anything that remotely looks like US currency.
    Damn! You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdgj View Post
    Hindsight is almost always 20/20. Yes, in many respects now as hindsight has convincing told us, we should have probably opted to go D-I when you did. However, at that point in time we were getting ready to meet, among other things, Title IX requirements and thus were starting Division I women's hockey. That was and is costly. Yet, also in hindsight, I think it was a good move. There's only so much money to go around. You win some and lose some. I also expect part of the hesitation may have come from our former university president at the time who had come from a university experiencing a not so good transition up to Division I in Southeast Missouri State University at Cape Girardeau. All these factors entered in. So the simple answer to your question is this: Yes.

I'd be interested in seeing an article or even a quote from someone at un_ that indicated that womens hockey or title ix was the reason for not moving to division I with ndsu. I can supply several alternate reasons backed up with actions and/or quotations. Smells like revisionist history.

I'll hang up and listen.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

MN_BISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing an article or even a quote from someone at un_ that indicated that womens hockey or title ix was the reason for not moving to division I with ndsu. I can supply several alternate reasons backed up with actions and/or quotations. Smells like revisionist history.

I'll hang up and listen.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.
    Hey look, it's our friend siouxdgj!

box.jpg

Hindsight is almost always 20/20. Yes, in many respects now as hindsight has convincing told us, we should have probably opted to go D-I when you did.
    I am sure UND has some halls of fames and stuff; do they have a hall of shame for Kuppy and Roger Thomas? Really sad that Thomas ruined his coaching legacy this way.

[QUOTE=Tatanka;787453]I'd be interested in seeing an article or even a quote from someone at un_ that indicated that womens hockey or title ix was the reason for not moving to division I with ndsu. I can supply several alternate reasons backed up with actions and/or quotations. Smells like revisionist history.

I'll hang up and listen.

Offhand, I'd venture to say that there was more than one reason the move was not made. And I'm certain you can provide alternative reasoning that is perfectly valid. There was--and is--quite a bit of revisionist history going on concerning all this. You may recall former president Harry S Truman was not much of a believer in revisionist history as well. As an aside to this, I do believe Harry did the right thing regarding the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I believe it saved a lot of innocent lives on both sides, including perhaps my father's. Believe me, I am not being sarcastic when I say I think NDSU (and SDSU) did the right thing in moving up when they did. As has been said time and again, one can't have everything in life when he or she wants it. That perhaps was our mistake, again in hindsight. Nevertheless. that being said, I believe the timing for us just wasn't right. After all, it has also been said many times by many observers that timing IS everything in life, and I couldn't agree more. Some day someone should write a book on what happened in this whole saga. However, I expect there would be a number of side versions and additional stories that may or may not be true. Tatanka, I respect your opinions and believe you deserve an answer. That's my best shot. Wish perhaps things could have turned out differently, but again, that's revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    Hey look, it's our friend siouxdgj!

box.jpg
    Geez, this is funny, particularly with the photo from Jaws enclosed (which I think it is). You are probably exactly right. Why do I feel there are jaws down there just waiting for me? In any event, you gave me a good reason to laugh, and I thank you for it.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Touchee as they say. Actually, that's pretty funny. You may have time to plan a number of other versions before we actually play again. Where I am coming from on the Nickel Trophy is simply this: With all the hullaballoo concerning the abusive and hostile situation and our losing our nickname as a result of the Native American squabble, I don't think in light of that that it is really appropriate to play for a trophy featuring a Native American on one side, hence my vote to permanently retire the Nickel Trophy. For all we know, perhaps no one knows where the Nickel Trophy actually is anymore. You know that Minnesota and Wisconsin once played for a "slab of bacon." That was prior to the Paul Bunyan ax. For years the bacon trophy sat lost amid storage in some building on the Madison campus. One day it finally saw the light of day, but the trophy remained hidden for years. Not saying that's going to happen with the Nickel Trophy, but who knows?
    Oh, I understand and agree with you for reasons other than the hostility argument. Since the two teams don't play anymore annually, it should be permanently displayed in Bismarck - it is a big part of North Dakota history and can/should be remembered. I honestly don't see the teams playing against each other on an annual basis unless they are in the same conference, so the trophy is history and should be treated as such.

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=siouxdgj;787466]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post

I'll hang up and listen.

Offhand, I'd venture to say that there was more than one reason the move was not made. And I'm certain you can provide alternative reasoning that is perfectly valid. There was--and is--quite a bit of revisionist history going on concerning all this. You may recall former president Harry S Truman was not much of a believer in revisionist history as well. As an aside to this, I do believe Harry did the right thing regarding the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I believe it saved a lot of innocent lives on both sides, including perhaps my father's. Believe me, I am not being sarcastic when I say I think NDSU (and SDSU) did the right thing in moving up when they did. As has been said time and again, one can't have everything in life when he or she wants it. That perhaps was our mistake, again in hindsight. Nevertheless. that being said, I believe the timing for us just wasn't right. After all, it has also been said many times by many observers that timing IS everything in life, and I couldn't agree more. Some day someone should write a book on what happened in this whole saga. However, I expect there would be a number of side versions and additional stories that may or may not be true. Tatanka, I respect your opinions and believe you deserve an answer. That's my best shot. Wish perhaps things could have turned out differently, but again, that's revisionist history.
    Did you just compare the DI move up to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII? That was your best shot at dodging a real answer I guess.

[QUOTE=BisonFan02;787479]
    Did you just compare the DI move up to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII?
    Now the real question is, do you guys pronounce it HEE-row-she-maw or he-ROW-she-maw?
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Now the real question is, do you guys pronounce it HEE-row-she-maw or he-ROW-she-maw?
    I thought the emphasis was on the 3rd syllable