Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Olson tackles watch

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Olson tackles watch

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I wouldn't put a ton of confidence in the notion that what I'm doing is correct (it's not back tested, assumptions are borrowed from other places that may not apply, and no one's paycheck is contingent on me being even reasonably correct) but these guys help me get it done:

average()
    stdev.s()
    norm.inv()
    rand()

I googled the cone of uncertainty graph.
    Would stdev.p be valid in calculating the cone? I use that one a lot more in my work.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I hate to point this out but you need to put these numbers to at least one decimal point, because right now you are saying Grant is guaranteed to get to #5. He could have some kind of season ending injury in practice today that would keep him at 310. Considering he has never missed a game, it's a very small percentage, but it is still there.
    The model knows nothing about injury risk other than what shows up indirectly in his historical tackles by game. All models are an approximation of reality and you are absolutely correct, injury risk is a feature of reality that may not be approximated very well in this model.

That said there are two games in the data set where Grant had 0 tackles and w/ a weighted average around 8 and a standard deviation around 6 the model does incorporate zero tackle games as a possibility (6 in the first 7 projections of the rest of the season that I'm looking at now). I run just 1,000 sims at a time. If I pound the F9 key it's coming up either 999 or 1,000 out of a 1,000 to get to 331 so depending on which model run I screen cap for you all it may still have kicked out a flat 100%.

Even if he had been hurt and missed say 3 games in a row; the model wouldn't know that. It would just see 3 independent zeros and incorporate them into the average and standard deviation and do it's stupid normal distribution calculation. It's a limitation.

It's inexpertly borrowed from some of some stuff Hollinger (basketball) and before him James (baseball) did to project career statistics (Kobe was about 50/50 to catch Kareem before his Achilles exploded). Those incorporated personal injury history just by looking at the stats the way this thing does (indirectly) which makes some sense over a number of very long seasons. They also contain assumptions on aging and productivity curves that aren't applicable to a 4 year collegiate career. Those curves indirectly incorporate the overall risk of injury in the various sports they're tuned for but I striped them out.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Would stdev.p be valid in calculating the cone? I use that one a lot more in my work.
    My theory for using stdev.s is that the population is all career games (including those that haven't been played yet) and the data I've got so far constitutes the sample. If you're just trying to describe what's happened so far (which I think is the goal of your rankings) then stdev.p seems right. That's just my theory though. I took one semester of stats at NDSU and the rest of this I've just cobbled together after discovering sabermetrics.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    "cone of uncertainty" love it
    Stole that from the National Hurricane Center.

The model knows nothing about injury risk other than what shows up indirectly in his historical tackles by game. All models are an approximation of reality and you are absolutely correct, injury risk is a feature of reality that may not be approximated very well in this model.

That said there are two games in the data set where Grant had 0 tackles and w/ a weighted average around 8 and a standard deviation around 6 the model does incorporate zero tackle games as a possibility (6 in the first 7 projections of the rest of the season that I'm looking at now). I run just 1,000 sims at a time. If I pound the F9 key it's coming up either 999 or 1,000 out of a 1,000 to get to 331 so depending on which model run I screen cap for you all it may still have kicked out a flat 100%.

Even if he had been hurt and missed say 3 games in a row; the model wouldn't know that. It would just see 3 independent zeros and incorporate them into the average and standard deviation and do it's stupid normal distribution calculation. It's a limitation.

It's inexpertly borrowed from some of some stuff Hollinger (basketball) and before him James (baseball) did to project career statistics (Kobe was about 50/50 to catch Kareem before his Achilles exploded). Those incorporated personal injury history just by looking at the stats the way this thing does (indirectly) which makes some sense over a number of very long seasons. They also contain assumptions on aging and productivity curves that aren't applicable to a 4 year collegiate career. Those curves indirectly incorporate the overall risk of injury in the various sports they're tuned for but I striped them out.
    My theory for using stdev.s is that the population is all career games (including those that haven't been played yet) and the data I've got so far constitutes the sample. If you're just trying to describe what's happened so far (which I think is the goal of your rankings) then stdev.p seems right. That's just my theory though. I took one semester of stats at NDSU and the rest of this I've just cobbled together after discovering sabermetrics.
    Now you are just showing off!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Interesting. I was wondering because in my actual job, I utilize cones of uncertainty frequently. They all use stdev.p in their generation though. I'll have to explore stdev.s a bit more. Thanks!

Cone of Uncertainty.jpg
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Interesting. I was wondering because in my actual job, I utilize cones of uncertainty frequently. They all use stdev.p in their generation though. I'll have to explore stdev.s a bit more. Thanks!

Cone of Uncertainty.jpg
    Interesting. Stdev.s should result in a marginally wider cone. Someone on here must have access to a stats professor who could perhaps further enlighten us both.

I have no idea what the gibberish and graphs in this thread say but let me be the first to congratulate Grant Olson on breaking the tackles record Saturday against ISU-B!
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

are you people doing stats stuff with excel?

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    are you people doing stats stuff with excel?
    It would be a stretch to call what I do with excel a formal statistical analysis.

While you wouldn't want the results of a drug trial or the existence of the Higgs Boson riding on a statistical analysis performed in excel. I think it can handle an entertaining projection of a 1-AA middle linebacker's career tackles or even assist in identifying quality plays against the spread (for entertainment purposes only).

Besides, user error (of statistics not excel) is a much bigger problem at the level of sophistication we're talking about here than any deficiencies excel may have at the margin. http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/24/esp...led-miserably/