Page 47 of 455 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Default Re: Easton Stick: Best Freshman QB at NDSU ever?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Benny couldn't run an offense like Easton is running now and Easton would have ended up in the hospital running the offense we ran in 1983. Two completely different players. Both have their talents. Benny took us to 4 consecutive Title Games. Easton has a chance to do the same.
    Not trying to argue but I'm not sure either of your first two points are fair. Who knows for sure if Bentrim could have run an offense like we have now. Obviously he was a great athlete, why couldn't he have played a different style? And the second point, as far as I could find online, Bentrim was 6'-0" and 205 and Stick is 6'-2" and 215. I don't think he gets credit for his size because we compare him to Carson.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

One of my favorite sights was Jeff Bentrim running over a MLB. It was almost unfair.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not going to say one over the other...great memories of Bentrim running the option though. The guy was a magician, could make a defender look foolish one play, then break two tackles the next!

Can you imagine Easton running the veer?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    Not trying to argue but I'm not sure either of your first two points are fair. Who knows for sure if Bentrim could have run an offense like we have now. Obviously he was a great athlete, why couldn't he have played a different style? And the second point, as far as I could find online, Bentrim was 6'-0" and 205 and Stick is 6'-2" and 215. I don't think he gets credit for his size because we compare him to Carson.
    You might be right. I don't see the same physical running style from Easton that I saw with Bentrim. That's where my comment came from. Over the years we did have successful veer QBs who ran with more finesse.

We'll never know how Bentrim would have adapted to a more balanced offense throwing the ball 25 times a game so it isn't fair to say he couldn't have done it. I remember him throwing some good balls. If was always such a surprise. Usually there weren't defenders covering the receiver.

Bentrim was a great D2 veer QB but would struggle in the throwing game now in the Bison offense IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    Bentrim was a great D2 veer QB but would struggle in the throwing game now in the Bison offense IMO.
    Well, nobody asked Bentrim to run the WCO... I wouldn't bet against him though.

I think that some of our veer QBs would have loved this offense - Simdorn, Feeney, Beachy.

Of course, NDSU proved this year that you are only as good as backup QB so we'll need Davis, Veldman, and Hendricks to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Does anyone know which game was Bentrim's first start? All I can find is that he started "early in is freshman season" on gobison.com NDSU lost the 4th game of the 1983 season and went on to win the national championship with a freshman QB.
    Was that when Myles Bosch was hurt? My memory might be off but I was at a Northern Michigan game in Marquette and that's what I recall. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    True freshman---red shirt freshman. Theres a difference.
    The parameter was freshman qb...not true or redshirt. Stick got us there while up a division. Some would say there's a difference.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    Easton is the real deal IMO, this draft scenario may happen again.