Page 45 of 455 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Default Re: Easton Stick: Best Freshman QB at NDSU ever?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Jeff Bentrim = true freshman and he led NDSU to its first D2 championship. Steve Walker was awesome too. Chris Simdorn didn't get to play enough as a freshman or he'd be up there.
    I was thinking of Bentrim and Walker to go with Stick. I will not pick from them. Just like I will not pick a favorite player...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I was thinking of Bentrim and Walker to go with Stick. I will not pick from them. Just like I will not pick a favorite player...
    Yeah, always pick the top x and then only name x-1 or 2. That's my theory. Especially in cases like this where I know nothing about QBs before 1983.

Walker Texas "Stranger" for me.

Stupid transition rules.

Given the circumstances Carson's story would likely not be as good if it were not for Easton stepping up and taking care of business. I think all of the team stepped it up after the USD game. Seems one of the key elements to this great run is response to adversity. It started with the loss in OT at EWU and recurred with each of the losses over the past 5 years. The team responded each time to improve as needed and re-focus on their goal. Easton did not let the team down and played with guts and determination. I look forward to him leading the team next season.

GOBISON123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I vote for Stick
    " Our strategy for winning against BISON was simple, we put our WRs and RBs in a 1 on 1 situation with their defense in the backfield.....everybody knows they have some freshman who cannot tackle in a 1 on 1 situation.....Joe Glen"

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Jeff Bentrim = true freshman and he led NDSU to its first D2 championship. Steve Walker was awesome too. Chris Simdorn didn't get to play enough as a freshman or he'd be up there.

Steve Walker only got to start 3 games, but his stat line was incredible: Passing efficiency 232, completed 78% of his passes, and had 10 TDs with no INTs. Legendary.
    For Walker, It all started with the UNC game. The difference between QB's couldn't have been more pronounced. Unfortunately Tony had a bad season after a decent year in '03 (who could ever forget the Montana win) and had to be benched.

I still cringe everytime I see a quick out pass. Way to many went foul that year. Flashbacks of Rob Hunt running down Carl Ivory at the goal line for the only TD of the game..... Although it still makes me chuckle that our Rimington winner had more speed than their linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Given the circumstances Carson's story would likely not be as good if it were not for Easton stepping up and taking care of business. I think all of the team stepped it up after the USD game. Seems one of the key elements to this great run is response to adversity. It started with the loss in OT at EWU and recurred with each of the losses over the past 5 years. The team responded each time to improve as needed and re-focus on their goal. Easton did not let the team down and played with guts and determination. I look forward to him leading the team next season.
    Agreed. Excellent post

Bentrim was a true freshman...Stick a redshirt freshman. The Bison were a different team in '83 when Benny took over.

I think Bentrim did a great job, but even though expectations were high back then they were nowhere near what Easton had to deal with. He was thrown into shark infested water along with some chum as Bison fans were uneasy with a second season loss, and more so losing to USD at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    Bentrim was a true freshman...Stick a redshirt freshman. The Bison were a different team in '83 when Benny took over.
    Benny couldn't run an offense like Easton is running now and Easton would have ended up in the hospital running the offense we ran in 1983. Two completely different players. Both have their talents. Benny took us to 4 consecutive Title Games. Easton has a chance to do the same.