Page 361 of 455 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 4542

Thread: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Default Re: The Easton Stick Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't it fairly uncommon for a QB to get drafted and then cut in the same draft year before the season even started? Chargers spent a 5th round draft pick on a QB and they aren't going to try and develop him for a few years? Seems unlikely...
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't it fairly uncommon for a QB to get drafted and then cut in the same draft year before the season even started? Chargers spent a 5th round draft pick on a QB and they aren't going to try and develop him for a few years? Seems unlikely...
    You'd think so. I've heard of teams cutting day 3 picks in their first training camp but it's usually 7th round picks. A 5th round pick certainly isn't a throwaway. I'd think most teams that draft well consistently turn 5th round picks into passable starters or solid backups.

Eagles beat writer is predicting Clayton Thorson will be cut - he was the pick right after Easton. However he also hasn't played nearly as well as Easton and was described as being pretty erratic all through camp. I think Easton will make it - he showed them he doesn't repeat mistakes and kept getting better.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    Eagles beat writer is predicting Clayton Thorson will be cut - he was the pick right after Easton. However he also hasn't played nearly as well as Easton and was described as being pretty erratic all through camp. I think Easton will make it - he showed them he doesn't repeat mistakes and kept getting better.
    Thorson hasn't shown much of anything. They can cut him and sign him to the practice squad. I'm guessing Easton won't clear waivers if the Chargers try to do that with him.

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    You'd think so. I've heard of teams cutting day 3 picks in their first training camp but it's usually 7th round picks. A 5th round pick certainly isn't a throwaway. I'd think most teams that draft well consistently turn 5th round picks into passable starters or solid backups.
    I would be pretty shocked if they cut a 5th round QB pick...they obviously didn't see a future with Jones, hence why they chose Easton. If, for some reason, they decide to not put him on the roster, Easton kind of has a tough decision. He'll definitely get a practice squad invite, but almost certainly also get picked up by another team if he declines...Rivers won't be around forever, and Easton has a chance to stick around on the practice squad this year and learn from him, and become the heir apparent when Rivers is gone. But...that $$$ to be on an actual roster with another team is hard to pass up

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I would be pretty shocked if they cut a 5th round QB pick...they obviously didn't see a future with Jones, hence why they chose Easton. If, for some reason, they decide to not put him on the roster, Easton kind of has a tough decision. He'll definitely get a practice squad invite, but almost certainly also get picked up by another team if he declines...Rivers won't be around forever, and Easton has a chance to stick around on the practice squad this year and learn from him, and become the heir apparent when Rivers is gone. But...that $$$ to be on an actual roster with another team is hard to pass up
    I don't think that's how it works is it? Or is it just that no player in their right mind would choose omto turn down a roster spot on another team for a practice squad spot. I've never heard of such a thing so I always assumed that if a team puts you on waivers with hopes of putting you on the practice squad if any other team claims you, you now belong to them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I don't think that's how it works is it? Or is it just that no player in their right mind would choose omto turn down a roster spot on another team for a practice squad spot. I've never heard of such a thing so I always assumed that if a team puts you on waivers with hopes of putting you on the practice squad if any other team claims you, you now belong to them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I believe once he's cut, he's a free agent. If he gets cut, doesn't signed with another team and makes the Chargers' practice squad, he still can be picked up by another team. However, the Chargers get the first right to sign him to their 53-man roster if another teams wants to sign him off their practice squad.

Again, this is what I believe the process is.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe once he's cut, he's a free agent. If he gets cut, doesn't signed with another team and makes the Chargers' practice squad, he still can be picked up by another team. However, the Chargers get the first right to sign him to their 53-man roster if another teams wants to sign him off their practice squad.

This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post

I don't think he's necessarily a free agent right away if he gets cut. He needs to clear waivers but if any team claims him off waivers they need to make room for him on their final 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think he's necessarily a free agent right away if he gets cut. He needs to clear waivers but if any team claims him off waivers they need to make room for him on their final 53.
    You're correct. This article helps explain the details pretty good: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...z10qk9nl9375sn

With that said, I will be shocked if Easton is cut. I stated it earlier this week that the Cardale Jones hype was to help generate trade offers as there are teams that need back-ups ASAP (i.e. Colts, Broncos). I think Jones played pretty well, especially compared to his prior preseason performances, but I believe his ceiling is nowhere near Easton's, who I believe will be QB2 for the Chargers by this time next year.
    Hail the BISON!!!